How do I sign out of Google Accounts?

tabletnovice

Sep 4, 2012
Visit site
Forgive if this is an ignorant question but is there a way to sign out of my Google Accounts on the Google Nexus 7 tablet? The only setting I found is to do a factory reset but there must be a better way.

I signed out of my Google accounts online using the Dolphin browser, but I'm still signed in when using Google Apps: calendar, gmail, drive, etc.

The main reason I'd like to be able to temporarily sign out of my gmail accounts is because I let my grandchildren use the tablets and don't want them to access my personal files.

Thank you.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Settings > Accounts > Google.. pick the account and sign out :)

EDIT: Pick the account, hit menu > Remove Account.... to be accurate :)

squiddy20

May 30, 2011
Visit site
I'm sure there are apps out there (can't think of names off the top of my head at the moment) that can restrict the usage of other apps with a pin/password lock. Heck maybe a few of the more fully-featured security apps (not AV apps) might be able to do this too.

Edit: Maybe something like this, or the paid version? Just search "app lock" in the apps section of the Play Store for a boatload more results, if something like this is what you're looking for. Sorry I can't give any recommendations, I don't let too many people play with my phone, so I have no real need for apps like these.

tabletnovice

Sep 4, 2012
Visit site
You can remove an account from the accounts section of settings, but all of your data and purchases associated with that account will be removed as well.

Hmmmmm.

This brings up additional questions.

Say someday I want to get a newer Nexus7 tablet, and give my current tablet to my grandchildren, Does that mean I lose the programs I've purchased and can't transfer them to the new tablet? Can I transfer them first to the new tablet, and then "remove" the account from the older tablet?

wbmason1

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
There is a great app called "Kid Mode" from Zoodles. Search "kid mode" in the google play store. I use it and it's great! YOU get to decide what games are played and there are also age specific games in the app as well. As for getting a "new" tablet, don't worry, when you sign in using your google account the apps will automatically install on the new tablet. Hope this helps!! =)

rootbrain

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
If you are rooted, use SwitchMe or UserManager. They take advantage of Androids limited ability to have multiple "logins" as it were, with their own apps etc.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Hmmmmm.

This brings up additional questions.

Say someday I want to get a newer Nexus7 tablet, and give my current tablet to my grandchildren, Does that mean I lose the programs I've purchased and can't transfer them to the new tablet? Can I transfer them first to the new tablet, and then "remove" the account from the older tablet?

You won't lose the apps you've purchased, when you sign in to your Google account on a new device you can download all of the apps you own. However, if you remove the account from the old device you may lose the paid apps from there, or at least the ability to update them.

tabletnovice

Sep 4, 2012
Visit site
If you are rooted,

Sorry, I'm so new that I don't know what "rooted" means. I've read a little about it but it's over my head. It gives me the impression that I'd be playing with the OS, and I'm not techie enough to play around lest I mess up things. I can fix non-hardware problems on my computer more than a lot of people I know, however I don't understand or mess around with OS stuff like the registry, services and start up items.

I installed Astro File on my tablet and half the things I see in there scare me. I only use it to try to find files I've download. In many cases, downloading and finding files is still a mystery to me, though not as mysterious as when I got my tablet about a month ago. Still learning!

Last edited:

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Sorry, I'm so new that I don't know what "rooted" means. I've read a little about it but it's over my head. It gives me the impression that I'd be playing with the OS, and I'm not techie enough to play around lest I mess up things. I can fix non-hardware problems on my computer more than a lot of people I know, however I don't understand or mess around with OS stuff like the registry, services and start up items.

I installed Astro File on my tablet and half the things I see in there scare me. I only use it to try to find files I've download. In many cases, downloading and finding files is still a mystery to me, though not as mysterious as when I got my tablet about a month ago. Still learning!

Probably more than you are interested in... but if you feel like learning:
General rooting, is it for you?, info: Rooting - is it for me? Some Q&A | Android Central
Must read intro guide for the Nexus 7: http://forums.androidcentral.com/ne...se-kraken-rooting-hacking-your-nexus-7-a.html

:)

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site

I use Perfect App protector https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ls?id=com.morrison.applocklite&token=0v1b4OKL to restrict access to apps. It work flawlessly.
I lock gmail, google authenticaor etc.

If you dont know what rooting is then its better you dont root it but its worth learning about it.

tabletnovice

Sep 4, 2012
Visit site
Probably more than you are interested in... but if you feel like learning:
General rooting, is it for you?, info: Rooting - is it for me? Some Q&A | Android Central
Must read intro guide for the Nexus 7: [GUIDE] Release the Kraken! Rooting & Hacking Your Nexus 7

I started reading each article until a line or two about rooting stopped me in my tracks:

"When you want to do things that affect or change the core software of your device"

"If you unlock, root, and flash roms on your device, you are performing these actions at your own peril."​

While I have lots to learn and am certain I'll have more questions along the way, rooting is not something I want to do. I simply want to learn enough about the device to enjoy it. With the unbelievable help I've received in this forum, I truly am.

I know most forum participants are really into this "stuff" and my questions can cause many to yawn. However, no matter how basic my question has been, others have come along and given me help. I really appreciate it!

---------- Post Merged at 02:20 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 02:12 PM ----------

I use Perfect App protector https://forums.androidcentral.com/e.../store/apps/d...on.applocklite&token=HQeEqQVu to restrict access to apps. It work flawlessly.
I lock gmail, google authenticaor etc.

I took a look at this and similar apps. Most are "incompatible" with my tablet. I often hesitate to install certain apps. Who the heck are these developers?

I have learned so much in this thread but I think the answer to my concern is actually so fundamental that I overlooked it. When my grandchildren, aged 5 and 9, play games on my tablet, they have to do it in the same room so I can monitor the situation. I'll do things like using SkyDive instead of Google Drive since I can log in and out of it.

Someday, I'm sure, they'll have their own tablets some day. Until then, Grandma is tablet boss. :)

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
You don't sign out of Google, Google signs out of you. :D

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

chuckr01

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Forgive if this is an ignorant question but is there a way to sign out of my Google Accounts on the Google Nexus 7 tablet? The only setting I found is to do a factory reset but there must be a better way.

I signed out of my Google accounts online using the Dolphin browser, but I'm still signed in when using Google Apps: calendar, gmail, drive, etc.

The main reason I'd like to be able to temporarily sign out of my gmail accounts is because I let my grandchildren use the tablets and don't want them to access my personal files.

Thank you.

On my Droid 4 running ICS I have a sign out option on the bottom of the Google search page that comes up when I
open the browser. On my ASUS Slider, if I touch my name at the top right of the Google search page that comes up, sign out is an option in the pop-up that appears. I don't have my Nexus 7 with me but there must be something similar with Chrome. Since ICS is different on both of my ICS devices it's hard to tell where it might be hiding. I'll check when I get home.

Sam Ferguson

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
hi this is sam,
In android ice cream sandwich version you can signed out like below
setting>accounts&sync>(its shows available accounts like gmail and facebook) you can directly remove them

Groid

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
hi this is sam,
In android ice cream sandwich version you can signed out like below
setting>accounts&sync>(its shows available accounts like gmail and facebook) you can directly remove them
Hey Sam, this is a Nexus 7 forum. The N7 comes with Jelly Bean, not ICS. There is no 'accounts & sync' in settings on JB.

camdawg

Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
So I signed in on my google play account and then my friend needed a email for hers so I let her use my email for a google play account so She can get games and apps but how do I sign out of the account on her phone by using my phone?

Levolent com

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
So I signed in on my google play account and then my friend needed a email for hers so I let her use my email for a google play account so She can get games and apps but how do I sign out of the account on her phone by using my phone?

What are you trying to exactly? It sounds like maybe you are trying to share paid content or apps which is probably frowned upon here for obvious reasons. (although I'm fairly new so maybe a mod can chime in on this?)

camdawg

Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
What are you trying to exactly? It sounds like maybe you are trying to share paid content or apps which is probably frowned upon here for obvious reasons. (although I'm fairly new so maybe a mod can chime in on this?)
No it's allowed and know I would like her to sign out but she refuses so I was just wondering if I could do it off of my phone

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa