Why do some stores block nfc?

Jussumguy88

Aug 15, 2010
Visit site
Went to a best buy as well as a macys that have the speed pass thing at the check out. But when I tried to use the nexus 7 to pay for something it said something about contact being disabled or w.e. To my understanding, credits that use the same method won't work in locations like this either. Anyone have any clue as to why stores would do this?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Jussumguy88

Aug 15, 2010
Visit site
O yeah, I've used my nexus 7 to pay for something at rite aid via nfc... So i know for a fact that it works.

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Why use a tablet instead of a visa, amex or mastercard? They r a helluva lot smaller and lighter

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Jussumguy88

Aug 15, 2010
Visit site
I just just wanted to try it out is all. I carry my cards with me. But me being the geek that night am just wanted to see if it would work. And I usually take my n7 with me everywhere anyway.

anon(924308)

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
lol I've been meaning to try out Google Wallet, since that $10 credit expires in a month. I guess it's a great backup payment, in case you lose your card and want to make a purchase--but other than that, I can't think of a foreseeable future where mobile devices would render cards obsolete.

about the NFC blocking--I've read that a lot of companies are 'actively distrustful of Android and the risk of malware spreading through the system.'

nexus89

Jul 22, 2012
Visit site
I tried at jack In the box and McDonalds with no luck.

I see it effective if it was fast. After having it not work and tapping it like three times on terminal I just shipped my card once and reader said approve

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
What I would really like NFC for is loyalty cards. I hate having a wallet full of 'em and would much rather not carry them around with me. I'm also less concerned with security with loyalty cards than credit & debit cards, though I could see eventually using NFC for payments as well (I did get & use the $10 credit). I don't see much of an advantage to replacing 1-2 credit/debit cards with NFC, but if you can replace 1-2 CCs and a dozen loyalty cards, then you're really starting to reduce the amount of stuff to haul around.

monkeyluis

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
What I would really like NFC for is loyalty cards. I hate having a wallet full of 'em and would much rather not carry them around with me. I'm also less concerned with security with loyalty cards than credit & debit cards, though I could see eventually using NFC for payments as well (I did get & use the $10 credit). I don't see much of an advantage to replacing 1-2 credit/debit cards with NFC, but if you can replace 1-2 CCs and a dozen loyalty cards, then you're really starting to reduce the amount of stuff to haul around.

Try out cardstar.