Why should I get one?

paulyb37

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
Please help! I was all set to request a Nexus 7 for my birthday but something is stopping me! I have an s3 phone and an Asus tf101 which I now hardly use. I know I need/want a n7 but do I REALLY need one? I get the spec etc. but would I actually use it? Anyone else had similar dilemma? Thanks :confused:

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Android Central Forums

Unicorn Rancher

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
Billions of people in the world don't have a tablet or smart phone so I will say the answer is no. You don't REALLY need one.

Only you can decide if you want one.

Cigar-Junkie

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
If you read books then I say go for it. I use my gnex when out and about but at home is all nexus 7. Its the best device I have bought to date, if I broke it today I would have another one tomorrow.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

harryg27

Feb 25, 2012
Visit site
If you're trying to come up with reasons to get one, you probably don't need one. However it is my all-time favorite device.

n3vry

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
I have a Droid X2, an Asus TF101, and a Nexus 7. I find that I use all of them, just for different purposes. I hope that helps. With the Nexus 7 you can play Beach Buggy Blitz, it's really a cool game.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

anon(924308)

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Please help! I was all set to request a Nexus 7 for my birthday but something is stopping me! I have an s3 phone and an Asus tf101 which I now hardly use. I know I need/want a n7 but do I REALLY need one? I get the spec etc. but would I actually use it?

lol in all seriousness, how could I possibly know if you would use it, or even how you would use it? Examine your lifestyle and how it could benefit from a small tablet. If the reasons why you don't use your TF101 don't apply to smaller devices, go for it. If you already do pretty much everything on your phone, a larger screen would be nice but not necessary.

Here, I'll make a list--think about where or not you'd be able to do the following with your current devices:
1. Do you game? Would you play the same games on a TF101, or your phone?
2. Do you take notes often, e.g. are you a student?
3. Do you read magazines? Ebooks?
4. Do you watch movies?
5. Do you use your devices as GPS's?
6. Do you like to organize/schedule with productivity apps?
7. Do you browse the internet? Watch YT?
8. Do you listen to music?
9. Are there any apps you'd like to use, but are a little awkward on a smaller or larger screen?

7" tab = more portability/more comfortable in your hands than a 10" tab. Larger screen than your smartphone, so web browsing/movie-watching/e-book reading experience would improve. Not to mention, Tegra 3 + 4.1.2 = a lot smoother than your TF101.

JustinMueller8810

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
Please help! I was all set to request a Nexus 7 for my birthday but something is stopping me! I have an s3 phone and an Asus tf101 which I now hardly use. I know I need/want a n7 but do I REALLY need one? I get the spec etc. but would I actually use it? Anyone else had similar dilemma? Thanks :confused:

Does anyone really need ANYTHING these days?

Anyways, I feel that my Nexus 7 is vital to me staying on track for the day. I love using to-do list, calendar, gmail, news, Google Drive, timer, and Evernote widgets and they keep me productive as ever in the fastest way possible. Plus, I'm always entertained wherever I am because I constantly Pocket news articles for later reading...always have music with me, sometimes have movies downloaded to this thing.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
The 7" size is really the sweet spot for tablets. It's big enough to make viewing things like websites, e-books, and movies pleasurable, but small enough to be easily portable and comfortable to hold in one hand for extended periods. The Tegra 3 processor also makes it significantly zippier than your older Asus tablet. I have an Acer A500, which has about the same specs as your Asus, and I notice a big difference in performance.

It's true that your phone can do a lot of the things that the Nexus 7 can do, and then some (e.g., make calls), but don't you find it a little hard on the eyes after a while, craning your neck and squinting at your screen?

Basically, you could look at any tablet as a glorified toy (which, by the way, the Nexus 7 excels at in the gaming arena). But it can also be a very convenient laptop substitute when you travel, and it sure is easy to pick it up during a long commercial break or halftime and check your email, Facebook/Google+, or even do a little work using Google Drive. $200-250 is a pretty reasonable price for this, and I think it's a humongous value compared to the $500-700 other people spend on iPads, or even the $300+ people are spending on iPad Minis.

X0LARIUM

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
I'm in a quandary too. NeXus 7 or neXus⁴

I need a device for reading and gaming. Music is still later. Hardly get time to download music and then listen. And not much of a gamer too. But reading? Hell yeah!
My apologies to OP if you think I'm hijacking your thread. Don't mean to, but at the same time, thought it unwise to make the same thread again.

So I leave you with a question...

NeXus 7 or neXus⁴

Sent from my RaZr HD.

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
I'm in a quandary too. NeXus 7 or neXus⁴

I need a device for reading and gaming. Music is still later. Hardly get time to download music and then listen. And not much of a gamer too. But reading? Hell yeah!
My apologies to OP if you think I'm hijacking your thread. Don't mean to, but at the same time, thought it unwise to make the same thread again.

So I leave you with a question...

NeXus 7 or neXus⁴

Sent from my RaZr HD.

For reading and gaming? N7 all the way.

canesknights

Sep 27, 2012
Visit site
Different people use their device differently, but I've found the N7 to fit nicely into a niche between a laptop and a phone. It hasn't replaced either, but it has replaced some of the things I used to use both for.

AidenSurvival

Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

If you content with a device you have, do not buy it.

Otherwise I say go for it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

carracerz14

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
I rarely touch my laptop since I got my nexus 7. I only use my laptop for watching movies on my lcd tv but once we get 4.2 and Miracast support I will use my nexus to stream to my TV with the adapter.

So not sure what I will use my computer for after that

Sent from my RAZR MAXXIMUS ;)

MangoPowah

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
Compliments my One X well. Also spares my One X's battery... Browsing and watching videos on here rocks.

If you do get one, I recommend slapping a screen protector on ASAP. Mine seemed to be indestructible for a whole month before out of the blue it had an ugly scratch :( don't learn the hard way like I did...

Sent from the cockpit of Gurren Lagann

MangoPowah

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
Build quality's fine on my end. The only reason you see so many complaints about build quality is that those who have perfect devices are more likely to be less vocal than those who do have issues.

Plus, I've seen a couple people on here saying they've purchased multiple and it had flawless build. Go out and get one, you'll be fine :)

Sent from the cockpit of Gurren Lagann