Airplane mode

jpjgolden

Jul 27, 2012
Visit site
What is airplane mode, exactly? I've searched our forums, but can't find anything to explain when and how I should use it with Nexus 7.

JP

jpjgolden

Jul 27, 2012
Visit site
Are you saying that once I switch to airplane mode I'll be able to continue using Nexus, but not as a radio? Will I not be required to turn it off when the staff directs me to do so?

JP

sushiguy732

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
If you press Airplane Mode you will turn off all communications on the device. you will still be able to watch local videos and listen to local music but not much else.
While in Airplane mode you can also individually turn on things like WiFi.

Azwizzard

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
When I am not using my N7 I turn it on Airplane mode. The battery last longer for me.

If you have airplane mode ON, you will still be able to read books (downloaded to the N7), watch downloaded movies, play games, etc.

You will not be able to get on the web, access "cloud" stuff, etc.

jpjgolden

Jul 27, 2012
Visit site
Actually, I was asking about what happens when I board an aircraft. When the staff instructs everyone to "Turn off all devices...etc." will they understand what "airplane mode" means? Or, should I turn off Nexus for takeoff and landing, but access onboard songs, books, movies, etc. during the flight?

JP

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Actually, I was asking about what happens when I board an aircraft. When the staff instructs everyone to "Turn off all devices...etc." will they understand what "airplane mode" means? Or, should I turn off Nexus for takeoff and landing, but access onboard songs, books, movies, etc. during the flight?

JP

Official instructions are OFF. They then instruct you that you can turn them on in airplane mode later.

I take off to mean airplane mode with screen off. But the nexus 7 boots up so fast it probably doesn't matter.

With my thunderbolt, we'd probably be landing by the time it started up.

Sent from my HTC Thunderbolt

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site

JP
you can put it in Airplane mode and use it in flight.

when u click Airplane mode it disables all enabled wireless connection in the device.
you still can enable it individually if you want.

CJREX

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Officially, the FAA wants you to completely power down your device on a plane.

Electronic devices are allowed above 10,000 feet.

What I, and I suspect most travelers do, is put the device in Airplane mode (nothing more embarrassing than having the phone ring when it's supposed to be off) when about to board the plane and then just press the power button to put the device to sleep.

Press the power button again at 10,000 feet and it's awake instantly and already in Airplane mode.

hpilot

May 11, 2011
Visit site

JP

They know what airplane mode means. On my airline, they specifically tell you to turn it off, and airplane mode is not what they mean by off. BTW, I always leave my stuff on airplane mode, and I am the guy flying the plane!

MJKearney

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
Airplane mode is simply a shortcut to turning off all wireless incoming and outgoing communication. Alternatively, you can turn each of these items off and on individually.

On the Nexus 7, airplane mode turns off WiFi, Bluetooth, and NFC. On the Nexus 7 with mobile data (as well as cell phones), it will also turn off the mobile data connection radios (3G, HSPA, LTE, GSM, etc.).

From a NY Times article of August 28, 2012 regarding the FAA reviewing the rules for the use of electronic devices on commercial flights http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/29/business/faa-to-review-rules-on-use-of-electronic-devices.html:

The current policy is that all electronic devices must be turned off once the main cabin doors are closed and until the aircraft reaches 10,000 feet, or descends below that level for landing. Above 10,000 and when planes are at cruising altitude, passengers are allowed use laptops, tablets and other electronics but not cellphones (My note: or other devices with a mobile data connection, unless in airplane mode).

The rule was first introduced to stop airborne cellphones from interfering with wireless networks on the ground. In some rare instances, cellphones were also suspected of having caused radio interference inside cockpits or disrupted communications between pilots and air traffic controllers.

The F.A.A. does not actually ban the electronic devices, but it requires airlines to test them and determine that their radio frequencies do not pose a flight safety risk. Since that would mean testing thousands of types of gadgets, with more introduced each month, the airlines have simply banned their use during takeoff and landing.

dedduck0121

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Since the 4.2 update i uses Airplane mode ALL the time. When I am not using it i just flick the switch and it saves battery like crazy.

Stephen Wilson2

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
That is NOT true. Every time I turn on air plane mode on my new Nexus 7, 15 minutes later WiFi turns itself back on. So yes you can browse the web in air plane mode. You're not supposed to but with Google's latest release of IOS you can!