Do I really need 32 gb on the Nexus 7?

Paul Ronne

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
I just bought a 32 GB and I have to admit. I am glad I did. When surfing market now I can DL anything I want and try it out and not have to shuffle things around. Love my new toy. No screen lift, minimal light bleed. Only complain it volume does not get too load via earphones.

bevcraw

Net Mod Emeritus
Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
I bought my Nexus 7 in August when 16 GB was the most you could buy. So far it has provided plenty of space for my reading habits. I had used a Nook ereader for several years, so I have many books in that format. What I love about my Nexus 7 (and this is true for any Android tablet) is that I can break the bonds of the proprietary reading ecosystems. I can use the Nook app to access all my books in that format. But I also have the Kindle app, so I have begun to buy some books in that format. I have an epub app (Aldiko) that I can use to read the hundreds of free books that I've downloaded from Project Gutenberg. And I have an Overdrive app to read my library books. (Overdrive handles the ebook and audio book management for many public libraries.) I haven't even begun to figure out what Google Books has available.

One thing to remember is that you don't have to download all your books to your tablet at one time. Most of the Nook and Kindle books that I have bought (or acquired for free) reside in the cloud until I need them. All I need to access them is a wifi connection. I did download about 100 of my favorite classics from Project Gutenberg to the Nexus 7, but they take up less than 25 mb of space. (epubs are pretty efficient files.)

I think you'll do fine with the 16 GB version, but I probably would have bought 32 GB if it had been available.

lbros360

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site
Hey how do you watch movies via external hard drive. I have the OTG cable, nexus media importer, and the external disc drive but it doesn't seem to load the movie? Is you Nexus rooted? :)

bigtroutz

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
Hey how do you watch movies via external hard drive. I have the OTG cable, nexus media importer, and the external disc drive but it doesn't seem to load the movie? Is you Nexus rooted? :)
You use Nexus Media Importer app to "pipe" the movie to your player -- which you select as default for handling that file type in NMI - unless you root the N7 in which case the storage appears as usual storage once mounted.
So open NMI, scan your media, select the movie, click the "stream" button up top and it will start the process mentioned above.

tmaze

Sep 11, 2012
Visit site
I have 16GB close to 100 apps, about a dozen books at a time, a few shortish videos, photos and over 11GB free space. I move things on and off all the time. But I would get 32GB if buying now because I'm a packrat.

Most of the e.reading apps offer a sepia background and the brightness can be adjusted.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

anon(924308)

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Here's why you should:
It's only $50 (or less, if you shop around) more for the extra space. If you plan on using this as frequently as I do, it's a worthwhile investment. The thing is, you never know how you're going to use your device--you might use it in ways you didn't think you would. As an early adopter, I only had the 16GB option; I use my N7 daily on my commute, and decided to replace my iPod. With a sizable music library, I had to go through the tedious process of removing songs from albums to save space, deciding what individual songs I wanted, etc.

Why you shouldn't:
If you're smart about what you store, you can definitely survive on 16GB. Actual user storage is something like 13GB, but that's still more than manageable. If you store movies, only store one or two at a time. If you play enormous 2GB games, only have one or two on the device at all times. Truncate your music library. Don't store a lot of pictures. I'm sure you can make it work. If you don't have a lot of video/audio media or play enormous games, 16GB is perfect.

philba

Aug 13, 2012
Visit site
I started with a 16GB as soon as they were available and moved up to a 32GB as soon as it was available. But, I never ran out of space on my 16. Still, I agree with the folks that say get the 32GB model. Cheap insurance.

By the way, $50 for 16GB is a ripoff? Not even close. Apple charges $100. I'd say Google is almost giving it away.

But, to put it in context, I gave a number of people N7s for christmas and they were all 16GB models.

Channan

Keyboard Warrior
Mar 21, 2010
Visit site
You can get the 16 and then when you find out you need more storage, root it (not that hard) and add as much USB Flash memory as you like. The non-rooted version of adding storage with "nexus media importer" is not exactly optimal, but it works ok for some things like watching movies.

My take ? spend the 50 bux - only 2 dinners out around here but years of plentyness on the N7.

I'm sure if this dude frequently spent $25 on dinner for himself, he wouldn't be worrying about an extra $50 on a tablet. :|

Channan

Keyboard Warrior
Mar 21, 2010
Visit site
50 bucks for 16 GB, what a ripoff. (Coming from someone who paid 50 to get 8 extra GB on the nexus 4. But 8 is so tiny after the OS is installed...) Never understood how any company can justify a 50 buck upgrade for 8 extra GB, or even 16. When you can get a 64 GB micro SD sandisk for 41 bucks retail it is silly when Google/LG/ASUS wants 50 bucks for 8 or 16 and they can buy wholesale in bulk.

That 64GB card is nowhere near as fast as the internal storage. And it costs them more than $2. They're definitely making a profit on it but so what? You're still getting an amazing tablet for a really good price. Google needs to make some kind of profit on this thing.

But people do buy 64gb SGS3's, so who knows. Some people love having up to 128gb of music and videos on their device. Who cares that it has 4 months worth of non-repeated music on it and your phone has a 14 hour battery life. People sometimes pride themselves of having bigger and more than others, even if it is not truly practical. To each their own.

Um, what? My laptop has about a 5 hour battery life so are you saying I shouldn't have more than 2 movies and a few dozen songs stored on it? Did you forget that there are cables that can actually charge your device up again when it dies? Smh

mathelm

Oct 18, 2012
Visit site
When did TV portal get back on the play store? I had to install it sideways...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

bigtroutz

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
a week or two ago or less - i did not see the switch but have used it for months.

I assume the upgrade button works now but have not gotten around to it yet.

SOLGarion

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
That 64GB card is nowhere near as fast as the internal storage. And it costs them more than $2. They're definitely making a profit on it but so what? You're still getting an amazing tablet for a really good price. Google needs to make some kind of profit on this thing.

Yes, probably more than $2, but not much more. Not any where near $100 bucks more to go from 32 - 64 as some phones and tablets charge. Even worse when they make you pay $100 to go from 16gb to 32gb. (I know most are $50 but a good amount at $100.) Not when an entire 64GB micro SD card is $42 retail. And I am not arguing that it isn't a good price. The base price on these $200 android tablets is awesome. But the memory upgrades have huge profit margins compared to the rest of the device.

All I am saying is the profit margin on the memory upgrades is the same as it used to be when it cost the manufacturers more.

And the speed thing is not huge at all. Especially since the main thing most people seem to be doing is storing music and movies with that much storage. You don't need lighting storage for this. Wanting the fastest speed storage just because it is faster, regardless of actual need or use, is like needing to get to school down the block in under 30 minutes so you take a racecar. Still gonna get you there. That is just a moot point. The margin on the memory is ridiculous and they charge it because they always have and can. Business 101. If you can charge em for it, do it. Things are worth what people are willing to pay for them. Doesn't mean the mark up isn't ridiculous.

Um, what? My laptop has about a 5 hour battery life so are you saying I shouldn't have more than 2 movies and a few dozen songs stored on it? Did you forget that there are cables that can actually charge your device up again when it dies? Smh

Actually that wasn't my point at all, the 14 hour battery life thing was a throw away. I shouldn't have written it, pretend it isn't there if it makes you happy. The main point is people who have the 4 months of music on their phone. I agree there is no problem having more music than battery life, I am sorry the second part of my statement offended you. It was not the main thrust of my point. 4 months of non-repeating music on a phone is nothing like having more than 5 hours of music on a laptop. It's an unfair comparison. One makes sense, the other is excessive.

bigtroutz

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
the other is excessive.

hehe --- here is to excess !! hey, if someone wants to have 64 movies on their N7, they can spend the 40 bux for (2) 32GB microSD chips - no skin off your nose is it ? They even make a little creditcard holder that will hold 10 chips....my my -- that's 320 GB (200 bux) of music and movies and you can fit more than one in your wallet !!

Cheers ...

Channan

Keyboard Warrior
Mar 21, 2010
Visit site
Yes, probably more than $2, but not much more. Not any where near $100 bucks more to go from 32 - 64 as some phones and tablets charge. Even worse when they make you pay $100 to go from 16gb to 32gb. (I know most are $50 but a good amount at $100.) Not when an entire 64GB micro SD card is $42 retail. And I am not arguing that it isn't a good price. The base price on these $200 android tablets is awesome. But the memory upgrades have huge profit margins compared to the rest of the device.

You agree the base price is awesome, so why complain when Google/ASUS make a little extra money on the higher storage models? Would it be better if they met around the middle and sold the 7 for around $220 and $240 for the 16 and 32GB models? Of course if you want a 32GB model you'll say yes, but if you want the cheapest Nexus 7 possible or you want more people to get their hands on Android tablets, you wouldn't agree. Google will sell far more Nexus 7's with their current pricing than if they decided to make the same amount of profit on both devices, so that's what they do. Offer the base model for dirt cheap and try to make some of their money back on the higher storage model.

I feel Apple charging $100 for an extra $16GB (32GB model devices) is practically robbery, but I personally don't mind paying $100 for an extra 32GB of internal storage, because they are making a decent profit off of that without raping my wallet.

And the speed thing is not huge at all. Especially since the main thing most people seem to be doing is storing music and movies with that much storage. You don't need lighting storage for this. Wanting the fastest speed storage just because it is faster, regardless of actual need or use, is like needing to get to school down the block in under 30 minutes so you take a racecar. Still gonna get you there. That is just a moot point. The margin on the memory is ridiculous and they charge it because they always have and can. Business 101. If you can charge em for it, do it. Things are worth what people are willing to pay for them. Doesn't mean the mark up isn't ridiculous.

Well yeah, if all you want to use your phone for is to watch videos and listen to music and don't mind waiting longer to transfer dozens of GBs to your device. But apps also need to be saved in this storage and slower storage makes your device run like crap. You'll get to school a block away on time on a bicycle, but after school, you'll struggle to get to work across town. What you're saying is you'd rather Google use cheaper components to give you an even better price on an already cheap product.

Actually that wasn't my point at all, the 14 hour battery life thing was a throw away. I shouldn't have written it, pretend it isn't there if it makes you happy. The main point is people who have the 4 months of music on their phone. I agree there is no problem having more music than battery life, I am sorry the second part of my statement offended you. It was not the main thrust of my point. 4 months of non-repeating music on a phone is nothing like having more than 5 hours of music on a laptop. It's an unfair comparison. One makes sense, the other is excessive.

First off, you never offended me. We're just having a discussion. Second, I don't think that was an unfair comparison. If having more music than battery life on a phone is dumb, why isn't it also dumb on a computer? But you said just forget about it so I won't keep talking about it. I don't see what's wrong with carrying your entire (or a large portion of your) collection of music on your phone though. It's so much more convenient than having to constantly manage your music with your computer, and nice to be able to play any song you want at any time because they're all with you all the time. But there are also people who use all that storage for movies. Movies can take several GBs each, so your storage will fill up quick if you keep too many.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non