Should I get an antivirus protection for my N7?

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I think you will hear a 50/50 split on this.

Android is not like Windows where its vulnerable to virus and malware.

Not to say it can't happen but you front hear much about it.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

MangoPowah

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
It's not really necessary unless you're downloading shady apps from the Play Store or APKs from third party sites (the latter you probably shouldn't be doing anyway.)

But if you insist, I recommend Avast. Used it for a while on my S3, 1X, and N7.

Sent from the cockpit of Gurren Lagann

Eduardo06sp

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
Yes, I'm not sure how android's built-in security works in 4.2. The only shady applications I come across are ones that request permissions that are unnecessary. For example, last night I was going to download a game that wanted access to my phone calls.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

repligation

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
I think at this time the answer is basically no, but I use Lookout Mobile Security for the backup, location function, plan B option, and a just in case virus protection.

paul-c

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
No need for antivirus stuff on the Nexus 7. Stay mainstream with what you download and you'll be just fine.

Sent from my Motorola RAZR i

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
I think at this time the answer is basically no, but I use Lookout Mobile Security for the backup, location function, plan B option, and a just in case virus protection.

This. I don't feel it's necessary, but Lookout works even on my old thunderbolt without any signs of degradation in performance. It's free, and offers some small chance of recovery if it's ever lost or stolen in addition to rudimentary antivirus protection.

I hope I've simply wasted the time downloading it and getting it set up, but better some protection than none.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Diknak

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
No, you don't need to worry about it at the moment. The OS is still very virus free and since all of your apps should be coming from the Play store, it shouldn't be a problem. The best way to avoid a virus is:

1) don't download attachments to emails from people you don't know

2) don't install APK files unless you trust the provider. ie: don't find them online

3) look at reviews on the Play store for any apps with 3 stars or less. If it is shady, it will be blasted in reviews.

bwees

Dec 22, 2012
Visit site
What about apps permissions, is it better to d/l an app to sort them what do you think, is any security for mobiles already including something like it? :D Thanks a lot for all your replies, I don't think I will have an unsafe d/l activity, at least I might want to get apps directly from other markets like amazon, or well know websites

Diknak

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
Whenever you install any app, sideloaded or through the play store, it will give you list of permissions that it needs. So if you download a game and it says it needs access to your contact list or email, there is something fishy going on.

Also, the best thing to do here is the same as before: consult the reviews. If something is asking for permissions that it shouldn't need, it will get blasted in the reviews and the rating will get trashed as a result.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress