Are wifi passwords stored in your Google account?

Griff88

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
It's not an issue as such, rather I'm more curious, but I was wondering if your wireless network passwords are stored in the cloud?

Let me explain. My original Nexus 7 had to be returned to the store yesterday due to a blown speaker and I've been to fetch the replacement this morning. I popped into my parents on the way home and while I was there doing some jobs for them I used their wifi and signed into my Google account on the Nexus so it could install all the usual updates and replace all my apps etc...

I've just returned home and without any prompting from me this brand new Nexus has connected itself to my wireless network. It didn't ask me to enter the WPA2 key or anything of the sort so how did it know what the password is?

All I can guess is that because my previous Nexus used my wireless network for the past six weeks then because I've signed into my new Nexus with the same Google account that is where the device got my wireless password from.

Make sense?

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Yes, they are. At least, that's the only only explanation I can think of for why my Nexus 4 automatically picked up my wifi logins when I first activated it to my gmail account to which my Nexus 7 was linked.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I believe if you use the backup feature on the phone it will put it back on to your new phone when you put in your google account. I recall having to put my passwords in but I do remenber my wallpaper being installed from my previous device even though the picture I used was not on my new phone.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
yes, its backed up to google server. wallpaper are backed up too. I assume they dont store your Ip address so its safe in that perspective.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non