Nexus 7 died again 2nd time.

sclarke624

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Hi
My Nexus 7 had since January, has broken down twice now.
The first time was after 4 weeks use, it was powered off and would only wake to show the words Google and then the coloured cross pulsating. It was fully charged. I tried all the tips on here to get it going to no avail. So it was taken back to Currys (uk shop), they sent for repair, it came back quickly 8 days and the repair said they had flashed the CSC image. I have no idea what that means? Anyhoo it worked fine after that. NOW four to five weeks later the same thing is happening. The only difference is after it was returned from the repair I decided to keep it on and use the sleep mode instead of keep fully powering off. So this time it went bab byes and then the same problem pulsating cross and nothing else. More annoying is the fact that it is a 32 gb machine and it takes me ages to get all the stuff back on it, even via the google drive. This time unlike last time I kept a copy of all the photos I had put on it via dropbox, so hopefully I won't have to start again there (photos from pc not nexus camera).

It had been it the last few days before dying getting quite hot and then freezing two or three times, not often. I mostly play scramble on it, popquiz and battleships. I wonder if it is something I am doing wrong or is it just a duff machine.:'(

MJKearney

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
No, you're not doing anything wrong. It just sounds like a lemon N7. I'd insist that this time it be exchanged for a new unit.

sclarke624

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
What is a CSC image flash anyway.

Took it back today they claim they can't exchange it and have sent it for repair again. It was bought end of November, not used until Christmas day. It is under 1 year warranty from manufacturers. The shop,Currys UK, says it is down to the manufacturers. He also mentioned he has had 4 or 5 back with a similar problem, he wonders if the shop received a bad batch and he is going to write a report about it. Dunno if that was just hog wash though.

Really annoyed this could go on and on until it is out of warrenty after a year.:mad::mad::mad:

MJKearney

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
Sounds like they basically flashed the operating system back on the device, going a step further than a simple factory reset. But one of the hacks/flash whizzes around here probably has a better explanation than my limited knowledge allows.

If you had bought the unit directly from Google (don't know if that's possible in the UK), they would have sent you a new one, after which you would have returned the defective unit. If you don't buy from them, and you are outside the retailer's exchange window of usually two weeks, or even up to 30 days, you usually have to deal directly with Asus for a warranty repair.

The fact that your retailer is taking care of sending it in for repair is interesting. Retailers in the USA normally wouldn't do such a thing. I don't know if this is a good or bad thing for you (maybe you'd have better luck dealing directly with Asus), but it certainly sounds more convenient.

sclarke624

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
So eventually we got fed up waiting for Nexus to come back from this repair and after a week and half went into the shop to complain as got no where on phone and it hadn't even been sent to asus yet, the excise being the courier from Asus hadn't picked it up yet. As it was over the amount of time Currys promise to repair an item and give back the manager replaced the nexus 7 with a new one. Guess what ............three weeks later same problem again. Stuck on coloured X. Back to shop again. They again stated that they have had many come back with same problem. I'm toying with asking for money back and getting a kindle fire HD but really don't want to as my partner has one and its not as suited to me as the Nexus is. My son also has a 32gb nexus7 had it a few months longer than me and he has had no problems with his at all. :mad: