Nexus 7 Music Player is confusing to me

freedda

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
I am new to Android and the N7 tablet. I have been playing with it a bit. Last night I opened the music player and it looked more like a Hollywood billboard than an app for playing music. It showed the covers of dozens of artists' CDs, most of which I'm not interested in and wish were not showing up on my screen. I went to the Google Play and downloaded a 'free' song, just to test it out.

Is there any way to simplify the interface and get rid of the music I don't want? And get rid of the album covers and billboard look of the interface?

I'm also really confused. It seems I can play a bunch of these tunes I'm seeing but I don't know if they are on my tablet or in the cloud?

Along the same lines, if I buy music in the Google play store, does it reside on my device or in my cloud? If in the cloud, I'd like to bring at least some of the music files over onto the device, since I'd like to listen to them offline.

Also I have download Nexus Media Importer, so I could also download songs from a flash drive to the device. I assume I should put them in the Music folder. Will the app pick them up from there, so I can listen to them?

Finally, I assume that I can create playlists of the music I want on the google music app, is that correct?

Best, David

HNNNNNGHHH

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I am new to Android and the N7 tablet. I have been playing with it a bit. Last night I opened the music player and it looked more like a Hollywood billboard than an app for playing music. It showed the covers of dozens of artists' CDs, most of which I'm not interested in and wish were not showing up on my screen. I went to the Google Play and downloaded a 'free' song, just to test it out.

Is there any way to simplify the interface and get rid of the music I don't want? And get rid of the album covers and billboard look of the interface?

I'm also really confused. It seems I can play a bunch of these tunes I'm seeing but I don't know if they are on my tablet or in the cloud?

Along the same lines, if I buy music in the Google play store, does it reside on my device or in my cloud? If in the cloud, I'd like to bring at least some of the music files over onto the device, since I'd like to listen to them offline.

Also I have download Nexus Media Importer, so I could also download songs from a flash drive to the device. I assume I should put them in the Music folder. Will the app pick them up from there, so I can listen to them?

Finally, I assume that I can create playlists of the music I want on the google music app, is that correct?

Best, David

You really can't the UI interface of Google Music, sadly. That's why I stick to other music players out there.

You should be able to tell which music files are on the cloud or on your device (obvious distinction is that local files open faster than cloud files, which require a few seconds to load.)

Also, all Google Music purchases are stored in the could, but you can download them individually to your device. Just pin the albums or songs you;d wish to have on your tablet.

Your tablet's built-in media scanner (apparantly a program dubbed "Media") should detect all audio files, regardless of location, so you can put them in the device in any place as you wish. (Though I recommend placing music in a folder called "Music" to avoid any confusion and frustration involving accidental deletion of certain music tracks.)

The ability to create playlists in Google Music is already included. All you have to do is find any songs you want to add to the now playing queue list and tick "save playlist".

Anyway, best of luck! :)

freedda

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
Just pin the albums or songs you;d wish to have on your tablet.
Thanks. I just brought over some tunes from my jump drive and created a play list for them, so feeling better about the whole thing. At least a bit.

I'm not sure what you mean by "pin" above? Do I do that on the N7 somewhere, or?

Also, do you know if there is a way to adjust the volume or go mute from within the music player itself (instead of using the buttons on the side of the N7, or going into the sound setting)? I think I did it once, but can't seem to repeat it.

Thanks, David.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
I am really hoping Google redesign music app to holo during this IO.
There is also rumors of music subscription so hope that motivates them for a redesign

Jun 12, 2013
Visit site
I had a similar problem too with the N7 Music App. After the first time I put all of my songs on it, after I the Music App, with the songs I added there where also many other small 'songs' that I think are used by the tablet. They gave a very hard time as I had to make a list of playlists for the desired songs + I didn't know how to remove these small songs from the Music App. But after some experimenting, I found an App that has made it possible to arrange them: ES File Explorer. I actually lets you browse through the files and folders you have on your N7 just the same way you would do won your PC/Mac. On the tablet I had finally found these small songs somehow in the same folder with my personally added songs. So this is what I did: I created another Folder on the Home tab(this is where there are the rest of the N7's files and folders are) called 'Music Extensions'. Then I deleted the Folder so to remove them(There where many songs to remove one by one). I then went back to the previous folder and moved all these small songs to the new Folder. Then when I went back to the Play Music App, everything was in order. There where only my songs and no 'small songs'.
Hopes this helps you for future reference. :D

gusar2000

Jun 4, 2013
Visit site

Best, David
Killed it right away along with Google movies for the same reason and installed another apps. :D !

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
If you use Power Amp does the music reside on your tablet? I detest using the cloud......

Welcome to Android Central! You can always load music files onto your device (either in Internal Storage or the external SD card--I recommend using the SD card), and these files can then be played by any music player app, including Google Music. So yes, if you use PowerAmp, the music will only reside on your device.