KitKat 4.4 on Nexus 7(2012)

Chex313

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
Has anyone received or manually updated to Kitkat yet? If so, what's your feedback?
It kept all my settings. So visually it looks basically the same. Seems no faster. I had some time to night and just wanted to practice my Command Line skills.

I have an original Nexus 7, as in i bought it the first week it came out. Does that mean i will not be getting the update?
No you'll get it here's mine. 2012 N7....Manually Updated...
2573.jpeg2572.jpeg

Last edited:

jdbii

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Has anyone received or manually updated to Kitkat yet? If so, what's your feedback?

I sideloaded 4.4 onto N7 2012 today after Jerry updated and posted the OTA package. Some of the icons are bit different, or at least the 'settings' icon is new. QuickOffice and a HP Print Service Plugin got installed automatically with the update. Other than that I can't tell one difference.

There doesn't appear to be Google Now integration the way its integrated in the Nexus 5. It looks the same to me and you have to launch it normally. Like already noted above 4.4 doesn't feel any faster to me. In fact, it just feels exactly the same. I'm sure there are a lot of changes under the hood, but on the surface nothing interesting here and 4.4 feels and looks exactly the same to me as 4.3.

I had a hard time actually completing the sideload. I couldn't do it on a Windows 8 machine because my Nexus 7 wasn't showing up as a device and I spent far too much time trying to troubleshoot. I just ended up sideloading on an Linux machine.

Edit: One difference is there no longer is an "X" as your machine boots up. The "X" has been replaced with 4 bouncing balls at start-up (or whatever). Its the same start-up animation as on the Nexus 5.

Last edited:

mikbelch2

May 18, 2011
Visit site
With your sideloaded 4.4, did your kernel change? I am still on 3.1 after side loading. This should have changed to 3..40something... am i the only one?