Should I buy 2012 N7?

Danny Vaper

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
I've been looking for a new tab and I only have $150 to spend, so I can't buy the 2013 N7. I've seen the refurb 2012 32 gig N7 on ebay for $150 and was thinking about getting it. Is it worth buying? I plan to game and surf on the N7. I'm also concerned about the new Kitkat upgrade. I've read a lot of posts that state there's a lot of problems with this upgrade. The N7 I'm thinking about getting has the earliest version of Jellybean installed, so do I have to upgrade it, or can I wait? I'm pretty much a noob when it comes to anything tech so any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

dmnall

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
I've been looking for a new tab and I only have $150 to spend, so I can't buy the 2013 N7. I've seen the refurb 2012 32 gig N7 on ebay for $150 and was thinking about getting it. Is it worth buying? I plan to game and surf on the N7. I'm also concerned about the new Kitkat upgrade. I've read a lot of posts that state there's a lot of problems with this upgrade. The N7 I'm thinking about getting has the earliest version of Jellybean installed, so do I have to upgrade it, or can I wait? I'm pretty much a noob when it comes to anything tech so any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Well if I were buying now, I would prefer the latest n7 but I have the 2012 model and love it. I have the latest kitkat 4.4.2 on it with out any problems at all. The only thing with KitKat you cannot run ART mode on the Tegra processor. The cpu in the 2013 runs better *same cpu as the nexus 4 s4 pro chip*. I would upgrade it to kitkat because it works great in my opinion... Considering for $ 150 refurbed is well worth if the next version of android is not released on it, is the only reason why I would say go to the 2013 model.. Otherwise it is a great tablet but the cpu in the 2013 blows it away in my opinion but still a great device...

HTH,
Charlie

thatguy97

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
There is no 32 GB N7 2012 only 8 or 16 GB I'd keep that in mind before you purchase one considering how much space you think you are going to use

Sent from my Nexus 7 2013 or Moto G

systemofadown1

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
There are plenty of 32gb N7 (2012) model's. I have a 16GB & have loved it from day one.
I might upgrade when the third gen comes out next year or so - but till then the 2012 still serves me well :).

shanghaichica

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
I've just bought a first gen nexus 7. I got it for a good price and I'm not bothered by the fact that it isn't the latest version. The screen is crisp and clear it is snappy. It runs everything that I want it to easily.

Posted from my nexus 7

Danny Vaper

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Thanks everyone. I found and bought a brand new 2012 N7 32g on Amazon. Was gonna buy the refurb, but new one was the same price, $155 shipped. Now I've got to find some good apps and FPS and action games. Any suggestions? I appreciate all of your replies. Thanks again.

Danny Vaper

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Well if I were buying now, I would prefer the latest n7 but I have the 2012 model and love it. I have the latest kitkat 4.4.2 on it with out any problems at all. The only thing with KitKat you cannot run ART mode on the Tegra processor. The cpu in the 2013 runs better *same cpu as the nexus 4 s4 pro chip*. I would upgrade it to kitkat because it works great in my opinion... Considering for $ 150 refurbed is well worth if the next version of android is not released on it, is the only reason why I would say go to the 2013 model.. Otherwise it is a great tablet but the cpu in the 2013 blows it away in my opinion but still a great device...

HTH,
Charlie

Hey Charlie, thanks for the reply. What is ART mode? I'm pretty tech illiterate. I'm lucky I can operate my iPod right now. Lol.

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site
2012 N7 is still very nice if that's what you're budgeted for.

Sent from my HTCONE using AC Forums mobile app

draconianchaos

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
ART is the new Android runtime that is replacing dalvik. Dalvik uses JIT (just in time) compiling to execute machine code or the code is compiled as apps are running and loading. ART uses an ahead of time compiler which means the apps are compiled as or directly after they are downloaded which should in theory decrease overhead and user facing wait times. Per a googler (Google employee) ART is intended for developers to begin preparing for the eventual paradigm shift in app coding and any effects an end user sees today are placebo effects.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

Danny Vaper

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
ART is the new Android runtime that is replacing dalvik. Dalvik uses JIT (just in time) compiling to execute machine code or the code is compiled as apps are running and loading. ART uses an ahead of time compiler which means the apps are compiled as or directly after they are downloaded which should in theory decrease overhead and user facing wait times. Per a googler (Google employee) ART is intended for developers to begin preparing for the eventual paradigm shift in app coding and any effects an end user sees today are placebo effects.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

Thanks for the help. I still don't understand what you said, but at least I know what ART means. Lol.