Nexus 7 (2012) bookmark icons

ohmslaw

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Yesterday I did a chrome update and my bookmarks are now a list. Does anyone know how to get them back to icons? Tried a few things but no luck so far.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I don't think you can. I'm with you, I liked the folder grid view better than the list view. Maybe they'll reintroduce it if enough people give them feedback.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Open Chrome, tap Menu, then Help & Feedback, then tap Feedback at the bottom if the screen.

Posted via Android Central App.
Please excuse any typos or autocorrect derps.

GedBlake

Mar 23, 2013
Visit site
Yesterday I did a chrome update and my bookmarks are now a list. Does anyone know how to get them back to icons? Tried a few things but no luck so far.

Hi, ohmslaw..., B. Diddy...

Try the following...

In Chrome, open a new tab.

In the URL address bar, where you normally see a web address, type...

chrome://flags/

This should open a special page, where many features of Chrome can be enabled, disabled or otherwise 'tweaked'.

You should see a warning: Careful, these experiments may bite.

Don't worry about this so much... providing you don't mess with anything OTHER than the following setting, you shouldn't have any problems.

The setting you're looking to DISABLE is called...

Enable the new NTP

Previous versions of Chrome had this set to DISABLED by default... but the recent update of Chrome has now changed it to ENABLED by default, with the result that bookmarks are now presented as a list, instead of a 'grid'.

The easiest way of finding it, is to select from the menu the 'Find in page' option, and type ntp as your search criteria.

Once found, tap on the left adjacent drop down menu, and change ENABLED to DISABLED.

Toward the bottom of the screen, you should now see...

'Your changes will take effect the next time you relaunch Google Chrome.' ...along with a relaunch button.

Tap on this button, and Chrome will relaunch, with the old grid folder/icon based bookmark view, instead of the new list view.

See my attached screenshots, for what you should expect to see.

Hope this helps.

Rgrds,
Ged.

Attachments

• ntp01.png
    ntp01.png
    293.5 KB · Views: 11
  • ntp02.png
    ntp02.png
    290 KB · Views: 9
  • ntp03.png
    ntp03.png
    288 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

ohmslaw

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
GedBlake thanks for the info. I gave this a try and saw no effect. It first came up on default. I tried disable and enable with no change in bookmark display. I'm probably not the best one to mess around in tablet guts but I think I did it as described. Anyone else get this to work ?

GedBlake

Mar 23, 2013
Visit site
GedBlake thanks for the info. I gave this a try and saw no effect. It first came up on default. I tried disable and enable with no change in bookmark display. I'm probably not the best one to mess around in tablet guts but I think I did it as described. Anyone else get this to work ?

Hi, ohmslaw...

I feel such an idi0t right now... because you're right, it doesn't work. Not on the regular standard version of Chrome anyway. I've just tested it on both my Samsung Galaxy and my Nexus 7... which I really should have done before I hit the submit button.

It only works on Chrome Beta.

I've been using Chrome Beta as my default browser for so long, that I made the fatal mistake of thinking that what works for Chrome Beta, will also work for normal Chrome.

I can't quite figure out why it shouldn't work though... I can only conclude that it may be due to Chrome being originally installed as a System app (in /system/app), with any subsequent updates stored in /data/app. Whereas Chrome Beta isn't a System app at all; it exclusively resides in /data/app. This, of course, is just speculation on my part.

Anyway, whatever the reason as to why it doesn't work, it seems getting back to the old 'grid' bookmark view on the latest release of standard Chrome isn't possible, I'm afraid.

The only way is with Chrome Beta, (which has also just received an update) and in which the procedure I've detailed in my previous post DOES work.

Don't let the 'Beta' tag put you off... In the year I've been using it I've never had any problems, and you get more frequent updates and earlier access to new features, that will eventually make their way into the standard release version of Chrome. Installing Chrome Beta, won't affect your normal version of Chrome; they'll run side by side. Any bookmarks saved in one, will be reflected in the other.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Once again, apologies to anybody who tried the procedure in my earlier post, and found it didn't work. Please feel free to remove your 'thanks' as I feel they're undeserved.

Right, I'm off to find a rock to crawl under!

Rgrds,
Ged.

ohmslaw

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
GedBlake , the thanks stays because even if it didn't work you and B.Diddy at least took the time to provide info based on my first post. I have given feedback to Google as suggested. Small item but I prefer the icons.