GPS Problems on Nexus 7 (2013)

oldtimer42

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
I don't know how to fix it but just picked up a 32G Wifi Unit today here in Calgary Alberta Canada. GPS was working.. and now its not.

Not much installed that uses GPS other than stock GPS apps from google. I don't have the patience to try to fix it tonight but will try some of the clearing suggestions. If I cant fix it I will definitely be tracking down a Google support person and escalate up the support levels.

TTFN

TC93

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
Has Google/Asus recognized this as an issue yet?

I'm loving the tablet in every aspect, except for this GPS issue, and I've tried all the various fixes/workaround.. I either want an ETA on when they plan on addressing it with a software update or it gets returned.

Another thread someone posted this link where some guy from google, named Paul said they were looking into it. Later in the thread he posted again asking for more info from people with the problem.

Google Groups

jjhoneck

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
Yep, this GPS needs to get fixed, or back to the store it shall go. I love the unit, but GPS is a major reason for buying a Nexus 7.

rxnelson

May 29, 2012
Visit site
I think Amazon is trolling me. I haven't looked up GPS units but I did look up Nexus 7 (2013) cases/accessories. I got an email showing me their GPS offerings.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Diknak

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
I'm starting to get worried that Google hasn't publicly acknowledged the problem yet. Paul in the google groups has posted a couple times saying they are looking into it, but other than that, nothing.

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
I'm starting to get worried that Google hasn't publicly acknowledged the problem yet. Paul in the google groups has posted a couple times saying they are looking into it, but other than that, nothing.

They may be hoping to keep the issue quiet and fix it quietly, so it doesn't tarnish the product's image to most folks.

grusum

Aug 10, 2013
Visit site

I called Google last nite to see how long I had to return the product. The support person acted as though I was the first person to bring this to their attention. She asked questions regarding the use of the device, how many other apps installed, was everything Up to Date, had I rebooted etc. After she became aware I was informed of the widespread problem and was familiar with the Internet forums discussing the problem she quickly said they knew about it but had no resolution date and wished to pass me up the line to a hardware tech. Very nice fellow who freely admitted they had a special team working on the problem but he had not be told of a resolution date and could offer no suggestion other than to agree with me that it would be wiser to return the device now and repurchase after and if the problem is resolved.

BTW, you have 15 days from the date of DELIVERY to return the device; their buyers remorse period according to both people I spoke with.

After sleeping on this problem; I have elected to keep the device as it does everything I purchased it for other than the GPS. 99% of my travels are to places we already are familiar with so GPS is not needed. Plus, we have the Samung 10.1 Tab and GPS does work on it.

If Google solves the problem then my device will be 100%; and if not it will be 99.9%, for me. I can live with that.

Diknak

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, there have been a lot of people posting saying that they are told that they are the first to report the issue. That's good that you got passed to someone that was more in the know and at least confirmed that they had a team working on it.

It's just a big bummer that they are aren't being more vocal about it. I bought mine to serve a wide range of purposes, and one of them is to sit on my dash mount and function as a GPS. I loved my 2012 for this and it is really bumming me out that this one is having problems.

I just really hope there is a software fix for this.

grusum

Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
It's just a big bummer that they are aren't being more vocal about it. I just really hope there is a software fix for this.

In NO uncertain terms I let the first little girl know that I was in on the "secret" along with a lot of other people -- then she kinda backpedaled and passed me on to second tier tech support.

I can't see it NOT being a software problem as it does work sometimes and then loses the lock on to the satellites. Almost certainly a software bug and a fix will be eminent, I hope. If not, all is not lost for me as I bought it to preview photos on my Canon DSLR and to control the DSLR remotely -- both of which it does wonderfully.

I know where I am going and have lived here over 40 years so it is not likely there are many places I don't already know how to navigate towards. [grin]

And, it being a Google Android device one would think it would get updates faster than other proprietary modified updates... Like for my Tab 10.1 which I had given up on ever getting an upgraded OS.

CA Paul

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
Basic reply is just "me too".

GPS works briefly then signal lost and will not regain.

Major disappointment. Using this with Avilution program for flight navigation assistance - now have subscription to Avilution but without GPS tablet is of diminished value.

Need fast fix or this goes back to store.

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
My GPS stays solid with my WiFi turned off. It's been solid throughout my daily walk. I've monitored the app "GPS Test" continually and never once have I seen my GPS fail to work in over two weeks.

Sent from my incredible new Nexus 7 (2013)

markdek

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
My GPS stays solid with my WiFi turned off. It's been solid throughout my daily walk. I've monitored the app "GPS Test" continually and never once have I seen my GPS fail to work in over two weeks.

No offense, but why don't you go away now.....you don't seem to have a problem, so you really can't help someone with a problem diagnose it, can you. You just keep posting that you don't have problems with anything.

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
No offense, but why don't you go away now.....you don't seem to have a problem, so you really can't help someone with a problem diagnose it, can you. You just keep posting that you don't have problems with anything.
You'll probably be less caustic after you've had your morning coffee. :)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danishpeer