GPS Problems on Nexus 7 (2013)

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
CALLED GOOGLE SUPPORT today! What a joke...They advised me I am the first person to report a gps problem, I should return the unit to Best Buy, and that I should do a factory reset...DUH! They also would not commit to any effort to research or resolve this.
Now I now where the ex-microsoft support folks went to :) blue screen of death, no one has reported that, first step, reinstall windows.

chudly1

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site
Seven days so far with my new Nexus 7 and gps problems. I'm a pilot and need it to work properly. It holds lock well for maybe 20-30 minutes and then loses all satellites, searches, searches, and searches...cannot find a single satellite! Rectified only by a full power down and reboot. CALLED GOOGLE SUPPORT today! What a joke...They advised me I am the first person to report a gps problem, I should return the unit to Best Buy, and that I should do a factory reset...DUH! They also would not commit to any effort to research or resolve this. I suggested they look on this forum to validate my assertion that others are also experiencing problems. They answered that they are not allowed to address any isssues not directly reported to them. I'm not holding my breath. Too bad....otherwise the unit is a fine mix of features not found elsewhere. Returning it to Best Buy tommorrow.

I'm also a pilot needing it to work.. Also called Google support 4 days ago, never heard of the problem...do factory reset etc...
Question for you, when you return it are you getting another one to try? If so, would like to hear how it's working.. Thanks!

flyhi46c

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
Returned today, no exchange. Reasons: 1. Google Nexus 7 'support' stated there is no known problem, nobody else has reported gps problems. 2. Support person explained that my reporting the problem does not warrant further investigation in and by itself. Therefore no 'problem report' was generated for attention. She stated that 'all calls are reviewed by managers' and that 'if they believe there is a problem' then action 'might' be taken. My being a former IT professional and Help Desk manager, I was less than impressed by this response.Furthermore, since others on this forum have called in the gps issue prior to my reporting it, this does not look hopeful. And since some have already exchanged in their units and found the same problem occurring, why should I chance this not getting resolved. We don't know if it is hardware, software, and if it will ever get addressed.

jrhodes973

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
I'm a pilot and find the gps unusable too. I'm using my nexus 7 2012 until the problem is fixed.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

walrii

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
Also a pilot, so no GPS is a deal-breaker. I can get the GPS to work by doing a factory reboot and it will work for a while (couple minutes to maybe 30 minutes) then enters an endless search cycle. I've done three factory reboots and same thing happened each time. The third time, all I did was log on with my Google account, load one app ( Avilution's Aviation Map) and run the app with GPS; I got a very quick GPS lock (10 seconds or so) that held for about 20 minutes then another endless search cycle. I haven't called Google customer support but I did post on the link to their support forum above. A poster who claimed to be from Google said on the forum that google is aware fo the problem and working on a fix. I don't understand Google's phone customer support as described above. Google of all people should understand that you can't "keep a lid on it" in the Age Of The Internet. Case in point: this forum.

clankfu

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
I don't understand Google's phone customer support as described above. Google of all people should understand that you can't "keep a lid on it" in the Age Of The Internet. Case in point: this forum.

The guys you talk to on the phone are low level support and usually pretty clueless. We need enough people to raise a ruckus so this issue is kicked upstairs and taken care of and that's why I posted a link to the Google support forum in the post above yours.

BuffaloMadMan

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
Not trying to be a **** because it should work without problems but when exactly do people use their tablet for GPS since only the WiFi version is available. I could see using this as a garmin or for in the car if it had a 3g or 4g radio in it but since it doesn't wouldn't your phone be a better choice. I'm not trying to pick a fight I'm just wondering what the use case is? My GPS works flawless too btw

Posted via Android Central App

Ozy311

Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
Add me to the list. I tried a full reset as well. My digitizer also froze on me and I had to wait a while and it just "healed"
. I had to pull over Friday and swap out this to my iPhone instead for waze. This is very frustrating because if this isn't fixed I want to return it while I can.

clankfu

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
For everyone having GPS issues, can you post what version of Google Play Services you have? Go to Settings --> Apps --> All --> Google Play services. I'm wondering if the new version that's currently rolling out fixes it. I didn't get the update yet so it's still verision 3.1.59.

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
For everyone having GPS issues, can you post what version of Google Play Services you have? Go to Settings --> Apps --> All --> Google Play services. I'm wondering if the new version that's currently rolling out fixes it. I didn't get the update yet so it's still verision 3.1.59.
Is this speculative or was it established Google Play was contributing to the GPS problems? Links please.

Thanks.

clankfu

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
Is this speculative or was it established Google Play was contributing to the GPS problems? Links please.

Thanks.

Some people over on XDA and on the Google support forum have reported at least a temporary fix when they disabled Google Play services. I don't know if it's the source of the problem but just throwing stuff at the wall to see if anything sticks.

Diknak

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
Disable Google play services. Fixed this same issue for me.

That's not really a solution since many apps use Google Play Service APIs.

I did a factory reset and unchecked the new wifi thing during start up and it has been solid ever since.

Posted via Android Central App

You can also do this in the WiFi advanced menu so you don't need to do a factory reset.

Diknak

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
Some people over on XDA and on the Google support forum have reported at least a temporary fix when they disabled Google Play services. I don't know if it's the source of the problem but just throwing stuff at the wall to see if anything sticks.

I wonder if this has to do with the new hardware geofencing that is part of the Google Play Services now.

markdek

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
I've done a bit of test, called Google Play device support (they had me clear some cache's...like Framework), did more testing and now things "seem" to be working for now....still working on multi app and long-term testing...will let you know.

I doubt it's a hardware issue as I can get it to work "most" times. And I really don't want to return this unit...it's perfect otherwise :) (after returning a 1st bad unit to Bestbuy...it was really bad).

Diknak

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
I just cleared the framework data and when I did that, it prompted me to ask me if I wanted Google to collect my location information, even when apps aren't running.

I declined and I will run the test on my way home from work. In this route, I previously had 2 dropped locks (same locations both days). Fingers crossed.