And Now Amazon Responds to New Nexus 7

karmamule

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
If true, nice specs. Problem will again be the awful interface that is always so slow and laggy. It doesnt even feel like android at all. I hated use any kindles personally cause of how bad the UI has always lagged regardless of specs. If they revamped it to be more of a lightweight skin on top of stock android, I would atleast give it a 2nd look. Until then, no Play Store and laggy/ugly UI will always make me pass on anything they offer.

I have an 8.9" Kindle tablet and the interface is generally quite snappy on mine. But, it's quite true that it's so heavily customized that you wouldn't even know it's Android if it didn't have apps in common. Their free app every day (usually a game) is also a nice benefit in addition to Prime Instant and Lending Library.

Overall I'd still recommend a nexus over a Fire for anyone other than current Amazon Prime subscribers. (Which I am, but I'm still enough of a gadget ho to get the nexus as well :) ) I'll definitely be checking out the next generation, and could very well make the next larger Kindle my video-watching tablet. (The speakers on the current one are pretty good, so I assume/hope the next gen will be as good or better)

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Their free app every day (usually a game) is also a nice benefit in addition to Prime Instant and Lending Library.

That's not really an advantage when you can very easily install the Amazon app store on your Nexus 7 and get the free app of the day. Frankly I usually find them to be not worth the download, but there have been a few gems.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Overall I'd still recommend a nexus over a Fire for anyone other than current Amazon Prime subscribers

I have amazon prime and I still recommend the Fire to no one. It's available on my blue ray, on my ps3 and on the web. It'd be nice if the tablet had it also, but really don't care that much because most of the time when I'm somewhere I want to watch a movie, there is a TV or 23" monitor that can stream their content.

jlongrc

Jun 15, 2013
Visit site
It blows my mind that this product continues to be relevant. While some people get tricked into picking it out by clever marketing or what have you...the market would not miss this product whatsoever if it just disappeared. You want the "easy to use" interface that lacks features in order to make things simpler? iPad. You want more features, cheaper price? Android. Simple. You want an ereader only? You get an e-ink $50 Kindle

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
It blows my mind that this product continues to be relevant. While some people get tricked into picking it out by clever marketing or what have you...the market would not miss this product whatsoever if it just disappeared.

There are actually a lot of people who are very much in love with Amazon. They buy lots and lots of things there, and when it comes to tablets, they don't really look at anything other than Kindles.

RichardRight

Banned
Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
I have amazon prime and I still recommend the Fire to no one. It's available on my blue ray, on my ps3 and on the web. It'd be nice if the tablet had it also, but really don't care that much because most of the time when I'm somewhere I want to watch a movie, there is a TV or 23" monitor that can stream their content.

Disclaimer: i now own a Kindle Fire HD 8.9 and really like both it and Gen. 1 Nexus 7. Still waiting on gen. 2Nexus.

Unlike you, i totally get it. A larger tablet makes some things, like videos or magazines so much more enjoyable. Yet some people can't afford the iPad higher price to get that large screen. The FIRE 8.9 had a 1920 by 1200 HD screen, loud stereo speakers, a sturdy build, and ten hour battery life nine months before the Nexus. That's part of why it stays relevant. Because it stays ahead of the technological curve.

Keep in mind that most tablet buyers prefer simple and are not tinkerers. Tinkerers will always prefer a Nexus device. But for others, there something to be said for the simplicity of THE FIRE. With it, your books and movies share space right beside your apps on the home page...no need to first open your ereader app and then find the book. With the Fire, if you like an app one in awhile, but only use it occasionally, you can store it in the cloud and easily just open it up when you need it, without permanently keeping it on your device. And there's no app drawer any brighter and Booker and more attractive than the FIRE's.

There's a market for such a device. In fact, my understanding is that in the United Stays, the Tablet War is largely fought between Apple and Amazon.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Disclaimer: i now own a Kindle Fire HD 8.9 and really like both it and Gen. 1 Nexus 7. Still waiting on gen. 2Nexus.

Unlike you, i totally get it. A larger tablet makes some things, like videos or magazines so much more enjoyable. Yet some people can't afford the iPad higher price to get that large screen. The FIRE 8.9 had a 1920 by 1200 HD screen, loud stereo speakers, a sturdy build, and ten hour battery life nine months before the Nexus. That's part of why it stays relevant. Because it stays ahead of the technological curve.

Keep in mind that most tablet buyers prefer simple and are not tinkerers. Tinkerers will always prefer a Nexus device. But for others, there something to be said for the simplicity of THE FIRE. With it, your books and movies share space right beside your apps on the home page...no need to first open your ereader app and then find the book. With the Fire, if you like an app one in awhile, but only use it occasionally, you can store it in the cloud and easily just open it up when you need it, without permanently keeping it on your device. And there's no app drawer any brighter and Booker and more attractive than the FIRE's.

There's a market for such a device. In fact, my understanding is that in the United Stays, the Tablet War is largely fought between Apple and Amazon.

Excellent points, and I was just about to change my mind and say there IS now one person I would recommend a Kindle to, but then I noted the price on the 8.9, saw the size and weight of it and realized that at it's release it's actually, in my opinion, more relevant to compare it to the Nexus 10 ($100 price difference, equidistant from the $199 of the N7). That comparison is no contest. I totally understand what you're saying, we just value different things :)

In 2012 tablets, in the $0-$249.99 range, I'd have recommended the N7 to anyone and everyone. In the $249-$399 range, that's a Nexus 10 or possibly an Asus Transformer (productivity win). The Kindle Fire HD coming in at $299 puts it in the category of "I can save $50 and get the better Nexus 7 or spend $100 more and get the best tablet on earth". Now with the new Nexus 7, there is no comparison. The Kindle has only two things that I would in any universe want, both of which are handled nicely by other things: an HDMI port and Amazon Prime. This thing is faster than the N10, has a gorgeous display and has access to the entire Android universe, not just one cordoned off tiny corner. That's the killer for me. I do realize other people use theirs differently, but I hate having limits imposed without a damned good reason for them.

We're probably pretty opposite ends of the spectrum on this one :) Good thing they're making both, right?

jlongrc

Jun 15, 2013
Visit site
There are actually a lot of people who are very much in love with Amazon. They buy lots and lots of things there, and when it comes to tablets, they don't really look at anything other than Kindles.

I love me some Amazon, I drop lots of money there, but I never really thought twice about the Kindle Fire(s) when I started tablet shopping.

This is a very good post. The 8.9 can offer the simplicity of Apple at a lower price point and with good hardware. Great point.

pfunnyjoy

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
I love me some Amazon, I drop lots of money there, but I never really thought twice about the Kindle Fire(s) when I started tablet shopping.

This is a very good post. The 8.9 can offer the simplicity of Apple at a lower price point and with good hardware. Great point.

But then you have to consider that the Nook HD+ does many of the same things, has Google Play and costs considerably less than the Kindle at current sale prices. And I believe it is supposed to be lighter. Plus has a card slot.

I can still access all my Amazon music and books just fine on the Nook. Plus I can run a launcher with my own wallpaper, no blamed carousel here.

Can't wait for my Nexus to arrive though! I think I will really like having pure Android.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note

RichardRight

Banned
Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
But then you have to consider that the Nook HD+ does many of the same things, has Google Play and costs considerably less than the Kindle at current sale prices. And I believe it is supposed to be lighter. Plus has a card slot.

I can still access all my Amazon music and books just fine on the Nook. Plus I can run a launcher with my own wallpaper, no blamed carousel here.

Can't wait for my Nexus to arrive though! I think I will really like having pure Android.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note

In the interest of balance, the Fire 8.9 is known to have better battery life, four speakers rather than the Nook's single speaker, a web cam and HDMI out. And for me, SD cards lost much of their usefulness when Google stopped letting you store apps on them. I keep my movies and music in the Cloud anyway.

pfunnyjoy

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
In the interest of balance, the Fire 8.9 is known to have better battery life, four speakers rather than the Nook's single speaker, a web cam and HDMI out. And for me, SD cards lost much of their usefulness when Google stopped letting you store apps on them. I keep my movies and music in the Cloud anyway.

I suppose it is all in what you want. I rarely use the speaker, though it's fine when I do. I'm more likely to use headphones, have no use for HDMI, wouldn't use a web cam often, if at all, and have been pleased enough with the Nook's battery life. For me, the extra hundred dollars for the Kindle would not be worth it. Might be different for someone who watches movies, but I'd vastly rather watch a movie on a larger screen, so that's something I never do with a tablet at all.

Anyway, I'm sure the Kindle Fire 8.9 HD is a fine device, but both the Kindle and Nook devices are a compromise in a tablet, at least for me. The Nook happened to be the least compromised with MUCH better price. As it is, I will have a fine 7" Nexus every day carry AND a nice larger screen tablet, with my favorite purchased ad-free apps on both.

But it will be interesting to see what Amazon introduces in fall. I suspect the Nexus 7 2013 will remain the best choice for me, though. Unless Samsung ever produces a tablet with a high res screen and S-pen...

Sent from my Nook HD+