Display Black Levels

takehiro12

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
Just got my tablet a couple days ago and I love everything about it, the speed, the size, the sound, it's a work of art. The display is incredible, watching Netflix in 1080p and some of the scenes are fantastically sharp.

But one thing about the display disappoints me a bit, its ability to reproduce black levels. This was particularly evident in dark or nighttime scenes which have a fair amount of artifacts. Maybe I'm spoiled by the Galaxy phones beautiful Super Amoled blacks and shouldn't expect it here, but I'm certain the black levels on my Transformer TF700 are superior to the Nexus. Perhaps I'm just nitpicking. Anybody else feel this way about this otherwise gorgeous display?

jerrykur

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
I am actually quite happy with the black level. In general they seem dark enough for device that is handheld and portable. None of the portable devices compare to a good Plasma TV, but then no LED display cannot compare to a good Plasma display when it comes to black levels.

More important to me are color accuracy which seems quite good on the Nexus 7. The Samsung devices seem to be oversaturated and somewhat unnatural. I wish Android had a user accessible lookup tables like on a PC so we could calibrate our tablets and phones with Colorimeters. I get upset when I spend time trying to get the color on my images just right in Photoshop or Premiere Pro and they look bad when the user sees them because their display is not calibrated.

Jerry

RaiderWill

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
Takehiro you are 100% correct..
I also own a Galaxy Note with the SuperAmoled+ Screen.. and YES.. "It Spoils You".. The Blacks are so much deeper it's not funny... so, we are cursed having owned the best Technology out there for displaying blacks.. Nothing else measures up.

chadthebuilder

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
I also own a Galaxy Note with the SuperAmoled+ Screen.. and YES.. "It Spoils You".. The Blacks are so much deeper it's not funny... so, we are cursed having owned the best Technology out there for displaying blacks.. Nothing else measures up.

The AMOLED on the S4 does, in fact, have super awesome black levels. I don't use one on a daily basis, and so I am not so used to it. I still am super happy with the screen on my new tablet though.

Posted from my awesome new Nexus 7

pfunnyjoy

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site

I have a Note, and honestly, never even think about the black levels. What does bug me is the vastly oversaturated color. Shopping is impossible, since you don't see anything remotely close to true color. I've adjusted, because otherwise I love device and got it reasonably priced used, but I'd gladly trade lesser blacks for accurate color.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38