unable to play videos/episodes from websites

krist28

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
Why when trying to view an episode of a show on any network TV website it gives me an unable play this video error... do I need to download a media player app? It also said something about flash. Thanks

mikemike162012

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
Great. I was planning to ask this question next when I have my Nexus. Since 4.3 don't support flash, what options are there beside downloading browser with flash built in? I still miss my old Opera mni browser with flash enabled...hope I can restore it on my new Nexus (the new Opera browser has no flash the last time I try download it on my old device). Sorry to derail this thread a bit, but I think you need to have an browser with adobe flash enabled to view/watch the videos since it require flash plugin.

tflash

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
Download Firefox and follow these instructions: How do I watch Flash videos with Firefox for Android? | Firefox for Android Help

You will need to install Flash with this: https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...tails?id=com.graphilos.apkinst&token=WZNnlA9N

Amazon Video looks great in HD, not as easy to use as an app, but fully functional and full screen works.

This works.
I didn't use the .apk installer though. I don't have a link to the flash install file. (It's in my downloads folder.) You have to 'side load' it my changing a setting that allows that and 'run' the .apk file.
I've been using Firefox with flash and adblock plus (also has to be 'side loaded' because Google removed it from the Play Store) ever sense the old N7 came out last year, and it works on the new N7 as well.
The only sites that use flash that I can't see (NBC.com, I'm talking about you!) are the ones that are blocked for 'mobile' devices like the N7.

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Download Firefox and follow these instructions: How do I watch Flash videos with Firefox for Android? | Firefox for Android Help

You will need to install Flash with this: https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...tails?id=com.graphilos.apkinst&token=uhshz2RC

Amazon Video looks great in HD, not as easy to use as an app, but fully functional and full screen works.

This works. To flesh out the instructions a little further... Pick up the APK for Flash from Adobe's Archive Site. I used build "Flash Player 11.1 for Android 4.0 (11.1.115.69)" with no problems.

Also, for me at least, the regular Firefox browser did not work. I had to use the Firefox Beta and then was running like a champ.

tflash

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
This works. To flesh out the instructions a little further... Pick up the APK for Flash from Adobe's Archive Site. I used build "Flash Player 11.1 for Android 4.0 (11.1.115.69)" with no problems.

Also, for me at least, the regular Firefox browser did not work. I had to use the Firefox Beta and then was running like a champ.

ah - there's the link! I just had the file swimming around on my computer from last year. I heard about the FF Beta thing, but I swear I'm using the regular Play Store app with the .apk for flash.

krist28

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
OK don't know what I'm doing wrong... Installed apk thing and flash 11.1 and Mozilla and all sites are still saying need to install latest version flash... what am I doing wrong here.. thanks

cybernutte

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
I'm a new Nexus 7 owner and am somewhat confused, since the [URL="https://forums.androidcentral.com/e?link=https%3A%2F%2Fclkde.tradedoubler.com%2Fclick%3Fp%3D264355%26a%3D3068880%26g%3D22804962%26epi%3DUUacUvbUpU2986314%26epi2%3Dvbac%26url%3Dhttps%253A%252F%252Fwww.adobe.com%252Fdevnet-apps%252Fflashruntimes%252Fcertified-devices.html%2522&token=TARdgcmK]Adobe site[/URL] also said the following:

Below is a list of device and OS combinations that are certified for running Adobe Flash Player. Installing Flash Player on an uncertified device may result in unexpected behavior and can potentially destabilize your device.

Please note: Flash Player will not be certified for any device OS beyond Android 4.0.x.

Since the Nexus 7 uses Android 4.3, it apparently is not a certified device and thus, according to Adobe, installing Flash could do harm.
Is there or isn't there a problem installing Flash on the Nexus 7?

Last edited:

Little Darwin

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
Since the Nexus 7 uses Android 4.3, it apparently is not a certified device and thus, according to Adobe, installing Flash could do harm.
Is there or isn't there a problem installing Flash on the Nexus 7?

Adobe has just decided to not support their software on modern Android platforms. As with any corporation, their lawyers (or wannabe lawyers) have decided that they need to protect themselves from any complaints claiming that Flash ruined their devices when they haven't tested on the specific device.

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
I was elated last night. I opened my X-Scope Pro browser for the first time on my new Nexus 7. It immediately popped up a window saying something along the lines of "Flash not found, do you want to download and install it?" I didn't have to find a link, download an sdk, and sideload Flash - X-Scope did it for me. Very impressed.

*edit* I also just found the setting for requesting the desktop versions of sites, which got me around YouTube blocking some content on mobile.

tflash

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
I was elated last night. I opened my X-Scope Pro browser for the first time on my new Nexus 7. It immediately popped up a window saying something along the lines of "Flash not found, do you want to download and install it?" I didn't have to find a link, download an sdk, and sideload Flash - X-Scope did it for me. Very impressed.

*edit* I also just found the setting for requesting the desktop versions of sites, which got me around YouTube blocking some content on mobile.

Yes, X-Scope pro also uses flash with no sideloaded plugin. I'm surprised more people don't use it. Nobody ever talks about Xscope. I have this browser installed as a backup to Firefox, but Xscope tends to crash more often then FF.
If you start a flash vid and pause it or open another app then come back to Xscope the vid will crash the app and you have to force close.

I love the 'always request desktop site' plugin for FF. Apparently 'mobile' sites mean 'Phone' sites which are awful because they are made with less info per screen and have fonts made for 4in. screens. The N7 is perfectly capable of displaying full desktop websites. Other devices like my Sony Blu-ray player with a browser always trigger the 'mobile' sites and have no option for requesting the 'desktop' site. It is very frustrating to see a small band of info down the middle of my 46" TV because it thinks my TV is a 4" phone! Very frustrating.

cybernutte

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
Was this a setting on X-Scope Pro or in the Nexus 7 settings? If it's not just an X-Scope Pro setting, where would I find it?
Thanks in advance.

tflash

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
It was in XScope. No idea if there is an option for the default Chrome browser.

It's in Xscope. Open the 3 dots (settings), open 'Toggle', Toggle 'Desktop' setting to 'on'.

I'm trying to forget about Chrome because it won't let me do what I want, only what THEY want. I swear, Google is becoming more and more like Apple every day!

cybernutte

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
It was in XScope. No idea if there is an option for the default Chrome browser.
Thanks for your quick response. I'm not interested in Chrome, I'm wondering about whether there's such an option in either Firefox or Opera. I have the mobile version of FF on my Nexus 7 now, but I haven't seen that option. Perhaps I'll explore Opera.

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for your quick response. I'm not interested in Chrome, I'm wondering about whether there's such an option in either Firefox or Opera. I have the mobile version of FF on my Nexus 7 now, but I haven't seen that option. Perhaps I'll explore Opera.

Sounds like there is a plugin, judging by tflash's post above saying "I love the 'always request desktop site' plugin for FF."

cybernutte

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
Sounds like there is a plugin, judging by tflash's post above saying "I love the 'always request desktop site' plugin for FF."
Thanks, YAY Tech and tflash. I think I've just found it--it's one option under Settings in Firefox. But unfortunately, it didn't seem to help. :'( I still can't get Firefox on my new Nexus 7 to access a page that includes links to weekly pages of comments (in English) about Spanish-language programs on Telemundo. The page works fine on all computers regardless of whether I'm using Firefox, Opera, or Internet Explorer. But on the Nexus 7, neither Chrome nor Firefox can handle it. Sigh. I think I'll take a break from all this for a while.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty