Shouldn't there be a Nexus 8?

snaqvi91

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site
The iPad mini does indeed feel a lot more spacious than the Nexus 7. The N7 also seems a bit too close to smartphones in terms of size and utility. A Nexus 8 that competes with the iPad mini would be great. There are a bunch of people who go with iPad minis just because it feels so much more spacious. What do you think are the chances of seeing a Nexus 8?

Nychotxxx

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
I sold my ipad mini because it was crap and is just a smaller version of the ipad2 with a terrible screen. . I also sold my nexus 7 (2012) after i bought the nexus 7 2, which is great. I agree that 8 is better than 7. Thats why i'm considering the new 8 inch amazon tablet but also waiting to see what apple plans for the ipad mini2, rumored for this year. An 8 inch tab, though, is not pocketable, at least the mini wasnt. So 7 is a big benefit travel-wise. An 8 inch designed properly would be the true sweet spot.

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
A Nexus 8 that competes with the iPad mini would be great.

You do realize that Apple came out with the iPad mini to compete with all the 7" Android tablets out there, right? It is not the other way around.

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Well they could come out with a 7", 8", 9", etc. but a glut of options would increase cost and decrease sales. Apple's 8" tablet was, as patruns said above, a response to the 7" tablet market, and while there may be some out there who would like an 8" tablet, it quickly becomes less pocketable (though it would be more so given the narrower aspect ratio).

An incremental size increase for the 'next' edition of what is currently the N7 would be great if they could maintain the same size body.

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
I wouldn't say they never would, but I don't see a need. Other manufacturers are hitting that market just fine (see Samsung), and the Nexus line hasn't ever tried to cover all the bases, but to provide a great developer & general use device for vanilla Android. We'll surely see another Nexus 10 at some point to keep developers covered on the larger form factor, but I don't know that I would expect Google to feel the need to cover every niche. Even going from 7" to 8" is a trade-off. Yes, the extra inch can make a noticeable difference in screen real estate, but it also can make the device much less pocketable. I personally am sold on the 7" screen size, and think it has plenty of differentiation from my 5" smartphone screen size to make it worth having both. If you love having another inch of screen, either wait to see what the next gen iPad Mini has to offer, or check out Samsung's offerings. I could see a Note 8" being a nice device.

Aredubu

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
I am going to give the LG tablet a serious look. Like my N7, but would love a good 8" tablet that has at least 32 GB of storage, at least 2 GB ram and inductive charging, similar to my LG G2. My Note 8 is easy on the eyes, has lots of real estate, and is a great device, but the little N7-2 has me spoiled...for now. As popular as the new N7 is, there really is no reason for Google to up the size yet.

Posted via Android Central App

vmurph

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
I chose the 7" Nexus over the 8" iPad Mini because of its size. It fits much more comfortably in one hand than the iPad Mini. And because I watch movies on it, I wanted something with an aspect ratio that closely matches the videos'.

I'm a huge Apple fan, but I hate that the iPad's aspect ratio is the archaic standard (4:3).

RichBrown68

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
I read an article a couple weeks ago that predicted tablet makers will move away from seven inch and settle in on eight and nine inch tablets. It made sense, because as the writer noted, phone screens are getting so much bigger that there's less and less to differentiate the phone screen from the seven inch tablet screen. However, an eight and nine inch tablet offers a much more enjoyable experience than any size phone, and it's highly unlikely that any phone's screen will approach eight inches.

chadthebuilder

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
I read an article a couple weeks ago that predicted tablet makers will move away from seven inch and settle in on eight and nine inch tablets. It made sense, because as the writer noted, phone screens are getting so much bigger that there's less and less to differentiate the phone screen from the seven inch tablet screen. However, an eight and nine inch tablet offers a much more enjoyable experience than any size phone, and it's highly unlikely that any phone's screen will approach eight inches.

I really enjoy the size of my 7. It fits in my pocket comfortably, yet it is large enough to easily play games and do web.

Posted via Android Central App

physioprof

Jun 15, 2013
Visit site
Having had 10, 8, and 7 inch tablets, I much prefer the 7. It is especially perfect for one-handed reading content and doing emails while walking in the park (which I do a lot).

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
This may be what we are all looking for. Hope it comes true
Did the Google Nexus 8 tablet just get its Bluetooth Certification?

I certainly won't disclaim the possibility, but with a 7" and 10" model either very recently or imminently in release, by what logic would Google seek to produce a size between? Too many options in sizes can actually generate customer confusion, and certainly increases difficulty in inventory forecasting / supply chain management. I suspect this filing is much more likely to be for an LG branded tablet, not part of the Nexus series. Otherwise, we'll look for a 9" version next...

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
There is a Nexus 8...

A Nexus 8? Mysterious tablet pictured in KitKat promotional material | Ars Technica

Just a matter of time...

Sent from my SPH-L720 using AC Forums mobile app

If there's anything to have been learned from the past month, it's that there is a very big difference between speculation and reality. Until a device is officially announced by Google, there is not a Nexus 8. The mentioned device - in an article whose title itself questioned whether it might or might not be a Nexus - could easily be a partner device but not part of the Nexus series, which is a very, very big difference..

And take a closer look at the picture:
apps2-1600_medium.jpg
KitKat has translucent notification and menu bars; the device in this image does not.

chadthebuilder

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
If there's anything to have been learned from the past month, it's that there is a very big difference between speculation and reality. Until a device is officially announced by Google, there is not a Nexus 8. The mentioned device - in an article whose title itself questioned whether it might or might not be a Nexus - could easily be a partner device but not part of the Nexus series, which is a very, very big difference..

And take a closer look at the picture:
View attachment 90080
KitKat has translucent notification and menu bars; the device in this image does not.

KitKat doesn't have a translucent navigation and status bar while in Google Play.

Posted from the awesome new Nexus 7

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
KitKat doesn't have a translucent navigation and status bar while in Google Play.

Posted from the awesome new Nexus 7
Ah, hadn't known that. But the rest of my point still stands. Not denying the possibility, but it would be ambitious to declare a device to be the 'upcoming Nexus 8' based on that story which itself only likely threw the moniker out there to stir interest/readership/link sharing.

Harry Wild

May 25, 2013
Visit site
We all will know by the end of the month since Google will what to release before Black Friday! If their is an Nexus 8; I think I will buy it since I never had an Android device. But I wait to see if KitKat on the Nexus 7 will eliminate the stuttering and the lag in the UI.

jaj324

Banned
Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
We all will know by the end of the month since Google will what to release before Black Friday! If their is an Nexus 8; I think I will buy it since I never had an Android device. But I wait to see if KitKat on the Nexus 7 will eliminate the stuttering and the lag in the UI.

What stuttering and lag on the Nexus 7 are you referring to? I've had mine since launch and haven't had any issues like that or any other issues.

Sent from my LG-D800 using AC Forums mobile app