Sudden power drain and charging problem

douglerner

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
Last evening I noticed that after 3 days 22 hours of "on battery" that the battery was down to 39% so I connected my Nexus 7 to the charger (direct charging with the adapter - not USB).

Sometime later in the evening I noticed it said "charged" so disconnected it.

This morning I tried to use the Nexus and it didn't turn on! So I connected it to the charger and it appears it was completely drained!

For the last 1/2 hour or so I still haven't been able to operate it. If I press the on button I temporarily see the charging mark in the center of the screen only.

What could have happened?

doug

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Last evening I noticed that after 3 days 22 hours of "on battery" that the battery was down to 39% so I connected my Nexus 7 to the charger (direct charging with the adapter - not USB).

Sometime later in the evening I noticed it said "charged" so disconnected it.

This morning I tried to use the Nexus and it didn't turn on! So I connected it to the charger and it appears it was completely drained!

For the last 1/2 hour or so I still haven't been able to operate it. If I press the on button I temporarily see the charging mark in the center of the screen only.

What could have happened?

doug
That's odd. Has it restarted at all? If not, give it a few hours, possibly overnight, to charge and see if it reboots. If no luck, consider a factory reset via recovery recovery (hold power button + volume down)? Follow the prompts to access recovery then factory reset/clear cache and try rebooting - let us know how things go.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
My suspicion would be some app that was running out of control and drained your battery. I agree with srkmagnus, let it charge up overnight, then try turning it on again. If it turns on, then install a battery monitor like GSam Battery Monitor to keep an eye on what's using your battery.

douglerner

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
That's odd. Has it restarted at all? If not, give it a few hours, possibly overnight, to charge and see if it reboots. If no luck, consider a factory reset via recovery recovery (hold power button + volume down)? Follow the prompts to access recovery then factory reset/clear cache and try rebooting - let us know how things go.

No, it hasn't restarted yet at all. If I press the on button it shows a white empty battery rectangle for a moment, which then disappears.

Isn't power + volume down the screenshot sequence?

If I do a factory reset I have to set everything up again, right?

doug

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
If the battery symbol is empty, you can't start it. There has to be at least a little juice in the battery before it can power on, even if it's plugged in. Just leave it plugged in for the whole day, and don't disturb it. Come back to it tomorrow, then try to power on again.

douglerner

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
If the battery symbol is empty, you can't start it. There has to be at least a little juice in the battery before it can power on, even if it's plugged in. Just leave it plugged in for the whole day, and don't disturb it. Come back to it tomorrow, then try to power on again.

Well, it's still just 2 pm here. I've had it plugged in for 4 hours now and the battery symbol is still empty.

Why would it suddenly drain 100% overnight when in the past it has only been draining 4 to 7% overnight?

:(

doug

douglerner

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
Problem resolved! :)

I decided that rather than wait I would call Google 24 hour tech support at 1-855-836-3987 and ask them. They helped me fix it right away.

It turns out that for some reason (the Google tech person couldn't really say why) my Nexus had gone into "deep sleep mode."

To get it out of the mode he had me:

1. Unplug it and wait 1 minute.
2. Plug it in and the unplug it.
3. Hold the power button down and wait.

After about 10 seconds the Google logo appeared, followed by the Nexus "X" logo followed by starting up.

Everything seemed to be as I left it yesterday, and it says it is 100% charged. Yay. :)

The plugging in and unplugging it business is "to let it know you are trying to activate it."

The tech person also said he would email me information about deep sleep mode.

We still don't know why it happened, but it sure is good to know about. And Google support couldn't have been better.

doug

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Hmm, that's the first I've heard of that solution. Thanks for letting us know!

Posted via Android Central App

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87