Google Voice Setup

Rob Peters

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
OK, I may be missing something :-( I have a google voice number. I have a Nexus 7 and have the voice app. I have linked the google voice number. However, when I make an outbound call from my Nexus 7 my google voice number rings and I have to pick up the headset before the call is sent through to the number I called. How can I have the call go directly through to the number being called Without having to answer my google voice number???

Well, if I use the Talkatone app on the Nexus 7 it works OK. However, if I use the Google Voice app the Google voice number must answer the call b4 ringing through.

Last edited:

pete1118

Dec 6, 2009
Visit site
You cannot make an outgoing voice call on the N7 with the Google Voice app at this time. It has been suggested that Hangouts and Google voice will gradually be merged and this in theory will allow incoming and outgoing calls. In the meantime you can use an app called GrooveIP that will allow you you make outgoing calls. This works pretty well and the developers have continued to improve it. There are paid and free versions https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...tails?id=com.snrblabs.grooveip&token=jrba8U11 NOTE that Google is changing the GV API's and apps like GrooveIP will cease to work on May 15, 2014 which the dev has plainly posted. Hopefully by then Google will have completed the merger and provide a working solution. Note also that GrooveIP says their app uses 1.2Mb of data per minute of calling time.

Furt

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
I give a vote for GrooveIP as well. I was able to make outgoing calls over Wifi and Hotspots while I had no cell service. The developer even helped me out when I wasn't able to use it due to firewalls at work. He updated the app within a week to fix that issue. Great guy and great app.