Anybody send in their Nexus 7 to Asus for warranty repair?

brosko

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
Re: Anybody send in their Nexus 7 for warranty repair to Asus?

The screen thing is the only issue I've ever had, and I've had it since September 2013. If all they did was replace the screen/screen part, which is now fixed, I don't expect any other issues to crop up. I've been playing with it pretty extensively since I got it yesterday and so far, so good.

Don't speak too soon. You can be surprised by what problems may arise. I hope that this is the end of the problems, and you can enjoy your tablet as it was meant to be, but I wouldn't be so confident. It's painfully obvious, the shoddy build quality on this otherwise great device.

CarbonOak

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site

Don't speak too soon. You can be surprised by what problems may arise. I hope that this is the end of the problems, and you can enjoy your tablet as it was meant to be, but I wouldn't be so confident. It's painfully obvious, the shoddy build quality on this otherwise great device.

Possibly, but I see it has glass half-full. Again, haven't had any problems yet, so I'm pretty happy right now.

sko580

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site

I just sent my mine in for a screen repair which I think may have been caused by me. The problem with this unit is that it is so small, it can be easily forgotten that it was placed in the back pockets of my jeans. Anyhow, I was getting these blue areas on the screen which was only noticeable on dark backgrounds. I happen to notice it when I used the night mode on Adobe Reader where it inverted the colors for easy reading in the dark. At the same time, I was getting sporadic touch sensitive issue.

After 2 rounds of emails, I was finally given an RMA and I got mine back within 2 weeks. I do not have any issues to report at this time and everything is good.

mikemike162012

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site

Possibly, but I see it has glass half-full. Again, haven't had any problems yet, so I'm pretty happy right now.
Can you update if you still seeing any touch problems with your device after playing with it for over a week since the repair? Cause the touch screen issue seem to built up with time. I want to know if they really fixed your touch screen for good so I can think of sending in mine. I AM hoping it's an android OS software related problem hoping the next major update fixing it. If it fixed yours there no point for me holding it out. Thanks!

mikemike162012

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site

Fk! I just received my returned tablet from Asus repair center, sfter sending it in to repair my touchscreen issue. Guess what, they said there was no problem found so they send it back to me without doing any repair. When I put the device on an flat chair and try to change one setting, I can already spot some dead spots (or missed touch) in places on the screen. I actually paid about $14 w/insurace for the sending in the tablet. I am pissed that they did not fix my screen and denied there was any problem. I will not buy any tablet from asus or google again. Just sharing my experience with the repair service if you ever think of doing. Btw, i will also wrie an complaint message to Asus website when I got the time tonight. Very pissed for poor disservice.

mset

Mar 12, 2013
Visit site

Fk! I just received my returned tablet from Asus repair center, sfter sending it in to repair my touchscreen issue. Guess what, they said there was no problem found so they send it back to me without doing any repair.
Are you located in Canada? If so, in the Toronto area?

Seth Lamb1

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site

I'm not surprised, Asus did the same thing to me (I'm located in the Niagara region which is south of Toronto). I sent mine in for random reboots and they sent it back to me one month later to tell me there was nothing wrong with the device.

mikemike162012

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site

No, I'm from the U.S. in California and I'd sent my device to the repair service center in Texas. They received my tablet about an week ago but did nothing to it. No updates or anything until I inquired about the RMA status and next you know my status was updated showing "tablet repaired ok" and then I got an tracking number the next day in my email from asus. I thought so they probably tried repairing my device; turns out they only tested it and deemed no problem so returned it back to me. Seem they were holding onto my device for an week so it looks like they were dealing with it until I asked about the RMA status (which still showing as waiting for my package when already received an week ago) and then they promptly mailed it back to me. I cannot believe I wasted so much money on postage just to make a fool of myself dealing with asus. I will never buy their device again and never a second thought of trying to send it in a 2nd time.

Edit update:
So i went to complain over at asus live chat, and they gave me a second chance to send the device back in for repair by providing me an free prepaid postage label. See how it goes this time.

Last edited:

jerrykur

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site

No, I'm from the U.S. in California and I'd sent my device to the repair service center in Texas. They received my tablet about an week ago but did nothing to it. No updates or anything until I inquired about the RMA status and next you know my status was updated showing "tablet repaired ok" and then I got an tracking number the next day in my email from asus. I thought so they probably tried repairing my device; turns out they only tested it and deemed no problem so returned it back to me. Seem they were holding onto my device for an week so it looks like they were dealing with it until I asked about the RMA status (which still showing as waiting for my package when already received an week ago) and then they promptly mailed it back to me. I cannot believe I wasted so much money on postage just to make a fool of myself dealing with asus. I will never buy their device again and never a second thought of trying to send it in a 2nd time.

Edit update:
So i went to complain over at asus live chat, and they gave me a second chance to send the device back in for repair by providing me an free prepaid postage label. See how it goes this time.

From time to time I have to fix software bugs and I tell users you need a reproduction sequence or we cannot fix the issue.

So when you send your device back be sure you give them a specific reproduction (repro) sequence for problem. And I mean a written reproducible 100% of the time sequence, AND the expected behavior and what you see. Is should be something like :

To reproduce the issue:
  1. Boot system
  2. Login
  3. Ensure table is lying flat on table and you are not touching it.(if that is correct)
  4. .....

If you ran a testing app list it, but they may disregard it if it not part of their test suite.

Expected: yyyyyyy

Result: xxxxxx

Any video or images of the issue will help. Be sure to attach an documentation to the device and enter it into any online bug/repair system.

The bottom line is if the techs cannot reproduce the issue, they cannot repair the problem and/or they cannot test the "fixed" unit.

mset

Mar 12, 2013
Visit site

No, I'm from the U.S. in California and I'd sent my device to the repair service center in Texas.
Reason I ask is that I discovered Asus in Canada does not do its own warranty work. It farms the work out to a third party. Obviously this leaves the door open for poor service, as the third party is likely getting paid per turnaround and would rather see product moving through the door as opposed to having to waste exoensive man-hours trying to figure out what's wrong with each and every unit. They have no investment in Asus customers, and therefore no investment in making sure that customer experience is good.

They did something similar to me this week, and I called them and told them there was no way I was going to stand for it. They then sent me a shipping lable and asked me to re-RMA it.

As you said, let's see what happens this time. My particular unit was a spectacular dud.

mset

Mar 12, 2013
Visit site

Any video or images of the issue will help. Be sure to attach an documentation to the device and enter it into any online bug/repair system.
I had comprehensive video documentation of all 3 glitches that I was experiencing. I offered to send them to Asus. They said they weren't interested.

mikemike162012

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site

From time to time I have to fix software bugs and I tell users you need a reproduction sequence or we cannot fix the issue.

So when you send your device back be sure you give them a specific reproduction (repro) sequence for problem. And I mean a written reproducible 100% of the time sequence, AND the expected behavior and what you see. Is should be something like :

To reproduce the issue:
  1. Boot system
  2. Login
  3. Ensure table is lying flat on table and you are not touching it.(if that is correct)
  4. .....

If you ran a testing app list it, but they may disregard it if it not part of their test suite.

Expected: yyyyyyy

Result: xxxxxx

The bottom line is if the techs cannot reproduce the issue, they cannot repair the problem and/or they cannot test the "fixed" unit.

Actually, I did written an half an page summary detailing specifically the problem and how it can be reproduced by lying the decive on a flat surface with only one hand touching the screen. The live chat person told me the test the technician ran showed no problem with the screen. I guess all they did was running the test and concluded there was no problem. They prob think its ok because the problem seem to disappear mostly when picking up the device and touching it with the other hand.

Now, I am preparing to send it back in one last time. This time I won't be resetting my device leaving an drawing app on my device which I will instruct the technician to use to try draw some pictures while having the device layed flat on the table or chair and if he spot any broken lines or missed touches. If he still think that is normal then I rest my case, I give up fixing this damn device.

brosko

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site

Actually, I did written an half an page summary detailing specifically the problem and how it can be reproduced by lying the decive on a flat surface with only one hand touching the screen. The live chat person told me the test the technician ran showed no problem with the screen. I guess all they did was running the test and concluded there was no problem. They prob think its ok because the problem seem to disappear mostly when picking up the device and touching it with the other hand.

Now, I am preparing to send it back in one last time. This time I won't be resetting my device leaving an drawing app on my device which I will instruct the technician to use to try draw some pictures while having the device layed flat on the table or chair and if he spot any broken lines or missed touches. If he still think that is normal then I rest my case, I give up fixing this damn device.

I have just accepted that I have to be touching my n7 with my other hand to usenthe touch screen. Thus sucks when you want to out it down on a table to watch anything on it. it is a real deterrent to wanting to use this device.
I just use my samsung tab instead.

jerrykur

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site

I have just accepted that I have to be touching my n7 with my other hand to usenthe touch screen. Thus sucks when you want to out it down on a table to watch anything on it. it is a real deterrent to wanting to use this device.
I just use my samsung tab instead.

My gut says that it is a grounding/conduction issues. Your body is a conductor and part of the loop that changes the capacitance that causes touches to be registered. They probably never tested it with it sitting flat on a table.

mikemike162012

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site

So I finally received my tablet today after sending it in twice for repair service. This time, they just resetting my tablet firmware back to 4.3 R and without leaving an note what they'd done to my tablet. Seem like an rush job to me. And today at google forum someone said Asus identify an problem with the subboard causing the touchscreen problem on their tablet. Anyway I am done with the repair service and Asus brand. I will not buy another product that has the Asus name on it given they'd licensed an worst repair service ever. Not going to waste anymore time or luck hoping they can finally address the touchscreen issue. I will just use it while it last and go back with apple products in the future.

brosko

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
So I finally received my tablet today after sending it in twice for repair service. This time, they just resetting my tablet firmware back to 4.3 R and without leaving an note what they'd done to my tablet. Seem like an rush job to me. And today at google forum someone said Asus identify an problem with the subboard causing the touchscreen problem on their tablet. Anyway I am done with the repair service and Asus brand. I will not buy another product that has the Asus name on it given they'd licensed an worst repair service ever. Not going to waste anymore time or luck hoping they can finally address the touchscreen issue. I will just use it while it last and go back with apple products in the future.

Asus isn't the only manufacture of android tablets you know. No need to go back to apple!
Try a Samsung, they are much better built than the nexus 7 in my opinion.

CarbonOak

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
It's unfortunate that you didn't get yours fixed; I'm sure that the are others in your boat as well. When I sent mine it, I detailed what would happen and how specific apps, like Pivvot, would exacerbate it.

As a longer term update to my thread about sending in my Nexus 7 for touchscreen issues: It's been several months and I've haven't had touchscreen issues anymore.

I'm hoping that Google goes with Motorola with the next Nexus 7. My friends and I have had several Motorola phones over the years (I'm currently on the Moto X; great phone) and we've had zero issues with them over the years.

deftdrummer

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
I'm sorry but some of you sending multiple devices back and going through all this trouble - seriously need to think long and hard if this is the right device for you.

ScarlettBunnie

Dec 3, 2014
Visit site
Anybody send in their Nexus 7 to Asus for warranty repair? ... and not got it back !

Hi, I know this is a little unrelated to your experiences, but I sent of my nexus for repairs 2 months ago and haven't heard anything since, I have tried emailing the contacts I used to send of my nexus but no one has replied. Does anyone know what i can do?:'(

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87