*Updated* - Thinking about a Nexus 7? Beware...

mset

Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
This is a public service announcement. Disclaimer: I bought a Nexus 7 mainly because of the stellar support I received on my first Nexus product, a Nexus 4 phone. The unit I purchased (privately, from a seller at RFD, our Canadian BST site) was a bit wonky and I called Google, who barely asked me any questions before giving me an RMA. Next one I got has been perfect. I figured 'Google is taking a page out of AAPL's book, trying to show them that they can compete on ease of warranty fixes'.

I bought a Nexus 7 last week, again from a seller at RFD. It was BNIB sealed. He gave me his receipt, from shop.ca. The unit was buggy right out of the box. Weird white horizontal lines on screen when I streamed Netflix, serious lagginess when doing common things like scrolling through a webpage or trying to click on a desktop icon, problems clicking links (non-responsive) and yesterday, the tablet started blipping back and forth between home screen, tile view, and various open apps. All on its own. I actually captured this on video.

Called Google. They said "This was not purchased through the Play store. Therefore we don't support it. You need to go to Asus'. Okay, fine, although does AAPL ask me to contact Foxconn if I have an issue with their hardware? So the guy conferences me in with an Asus rep. With Google guy still on the phone, Asus person says 'We do not support you. If you did not buy it directly from us, you need to go to the website you bought it from'. Google guy says 'Uhhh...' and I say thanks and goodbye to Asus person. Google guy then says 'Hang on' and goes away, comes back with an Asus 'supervisor'. Supervisor tells me that if my unit is in warranty, and undamaged by a drop etc., I will be covered for repair (not replacement). Okay fine.

At this point I've been on the phone for a while, so I ask Asus guy if, in case of a dropped or lost call, can he call me back. Absolutely, he says. He starts asking me questions, and then says 'You are eligible for warranty repair. You must ship it to us and we'll try to fix it'. 'Okay', I say, 'send me a shipping label and I'll send it over'.

'No', says the Asus guy. 'You have to pay to ship it to us'.

Huh?? I have a brand new unit that's almost non-functional, and I pay for shipping? And this is shipping for a repair? So I ask the guy 'What if the repaired unit comes back and there is still an issue? Who pays for me to ship it to you again'? 'You do', says this paragon of virtue.

So then it starts. I am forced to get into it with this guy about how ridiculous it is to make a customer pay for shipping when a brand new unit doesn't work. Finally he says 'I can offer you a one-time courtesy shipping label'.

Yes. Well thanks. He then starts taking my information. We get to address and I give it to him... and wait for him to respond. A few minutes later, I realize that the system has dropped the call. No problem, I specifically asked him to get back to me if this happened and he said he would.

... or not. No callback. He had my email address but no email. I now have to leave the house so I get in the car and call them back. Get a guy on the phone and he can actually see the case by entering my email address. This means the first guy did enough to make the case 'stick' in the system but couldn't be bothered to get back to me. So I tell the guy we need to complete the interrupted RMA process and that '______ has offered me a shipping label for the delivery of this item to your repair depot'. 'Nope' says the new guy. I say 'Well, okay. Can you see ____'s name on the ticket? You can right, because he created it?'. 'Yep' says the new guy. 'Okay, well just get ahold of him and he will confirm that he offered to pay for shipping'.

'Nope', says new guy. 'Umm, why not?', I ask. 'Because we don't pay for shipping. It is in your warranty that if you have an issue, you have to pay for shipping to us and we pay for return shipping'. 'Okay', I say, 'but the previous guy has already offered me a 'one-time courtesy shipping label and he's a supervisor!'. 'I am very sorry, sir, but that will not be possible'.

...Okay. Now I ask to bump the issue up the food chain. Next person I get on the phone listens to my story and says 'I have to look into it'. Again, I ask that if she comes back and I am not there, it's because the system dropped me and please call me back. I am not going anywhere. "Okay', she says. She then restates, as they usually do 'May I put you on a brief hold?' 'No problem', I say. I hear her go click-click... and she cuts me off.

I arrive home a few hours later and call back. Escalate to manager immediately. Manager tells me 'the decision as to whether to provide shipping is made by the repair people. I will put in a request and they will get back to you within 24 hours'.

And that's where I stand.

Does anyone else think it patently absurd that if I have a defective piece of hardware right out of the box, I should be asked to pay for shipping? And that's not for a replacement, that's for a repair that may or may not work. I told the Asus guy to have a look at the video I made but he wasn't interested.

Anyhow, that's it for me with Google and Asus. I moved away from AAPL because I didn't think I was getting value for money, but how much is the 2.5 hours I wasted today worth? What if I have to pay for shipping? Or pay for shipping twice? I'm not going to get the RMA and try to flip it as a new item. So that's it.

A cautionary tale. Take it for what you will. Both Google and Asus have dropped the ball, IMO. It was my first experience with Asus support and they were ridiculously bad. At the very least, *do not* buy one from anywhere other than the Play store, although I'd make sure about the RMA shipping policies first.

Last edited:

Relgoshan

May 16, 2011
Visit site
Re: Thinking about a Nexus 7? Beware...

Well. After supporting enough Apple device users I can't say I endorse them either. These days it feels like you stick with a brand until it inevitably betrays you, then try a new brand until again it inevitably betrays you.

Doing well with my Samsung, but I cracked the digitizer this week. Luckily it's a $20-25 part and about 15min or less to replace.

mset

Mar 12, 2013
Visit site

Well. After supporting enough Apple device users I can't say I endorse them either. These days it feels like you stick with a brand until it inevitably betrays you, then try a new brand until again it inevitably betrays you.
Yeah, maybe so. Like I said I'm not a big AAPL fan for a few reasons, but personally I have always had really good luck with their warranty services. They have never asked me any questions, ever. And I buy things from forums and generally have no receipts or anything. Maybe they're also changing, I don't know.

Asus told me they'd be replacing the screen on my Nexus 7. What that is going to do about the random switching back and forth between screens, I have no idea.

What now? Try a Windows tablet?

Good luck with your repair.

cpcxgsr

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
I agree, Asus sucks when it comes to their N7 products. I had an issue with potential hardware... Spoke to online text support, complained about how annoying it was that my unit reboots almost daily.

I know damn well they are aware of faulty n7 2013 models.. But yet they don't want to man up to their flaws.

They gave me a RMA# for repair at their facility... But since I had to pay to mail my device back, I opted not to send them my unit for diagnosis/repair...

Let's face it, Asus QC sucks. I couldn't believe Google would choose such poor manufacturer for their flagship products.

I'm just waiting for my n7 to crash completely and will be moving on with the iPad

Posted via Android Central App

Last edited:

douglerner

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site

In addition to Google Play there are some other reputable outlets with exellent return policies. For example, Best Buy in the U.S.

doug

jerrykur

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site

If the device was not working correctly on receipt you need to get a replacement from the retailer. I would push them real hard for a replacement device or a refund. Given their 0 for 2 status even if they gave me a new one or my money back I would probably never use this retailer again, even if they are much cheaper. Sounds like you might have gotten played by someone on the site. New in Box means nothing. I can use the sealer at my locale Kinkos for free. You get what you pay for. Go with Amazon or another retailer that has good after the sale support.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

Just for future reference, If you are the original purchaser (i understand that you are not) then you can return it within the return period.

Beyond that, you are bound by the terms of the warranty. Asus is not the only manufacturer to require you to pay shipping to them, a number of others do as well. If you do not agree with the terms of the warranty then don't buy the item and buy something else.

With that said I am sorry to hear about your horrid customer service experience. Hopefully you will get it resolved soon.

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

jerrykur

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site

Just for future reference, If you are the original purchaser (i understand that you are not) then you can return it within the return period.

Beyond that, you are bound by the terms of the warranty. Asus is not the only manufacturer to require you to pay shipping to them, a number of others do as well. If you do not agree with the terms of the warranty then don't buy the item and buy something else.

I am pretty sure I had to pay shipping when I sent my old HTC phone back in the WinMo days.

I know I have to pay shipping to send my camera gear back to Canon, unless you buy a Professional Services Agreement. You would think when you give them $8,000+ on a lens and it does not focus well out of the box you would not have to do that, but that is the way it goes. You also have to pay insurance, unless you like live on the edge:p

mikemike162012

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site

Just be glad they didn't give you an free prepaid label shipping sent to the wrong address for service. I've read about one in google forum where they finally offered free shipping as the customer complained having to pay ship it back they printed the wrong address on the prepaid label for the device to be sent in for repair. Had to contact Asus multiples time to fix the problem and check where is the device. Not worth the hassle, just ship the cheapest with tracking # to the advised destination for service.

I told my bro to help ship mine back with the cheapest postage courier with tracking only but he shipped it with insurance and signature confirmation thru ups totaling $14.XX. :(

gnr_2

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site

In addition to Google Play there are some other reputable outlets with exellent return policies. For example, Best Buy in the U.S.

doug

Best Buy has a 14-day return policy. Not that great.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

Best Buy has a 14-day return policy. Not that great.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

It is 60 days if you are a silver cardholder.

Costco has a 90 day return policy for electronics

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

brosko

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site

I second that about amazon being good!! amazon is great. I even disassembled my first nexus that I bought from amazon in an attempt to fix the light bleed it had. I didn't end up fixing it but basically destroyed the casing trying to pry it apart (I mean like really super marred up) and they STILL took it back...and PAID SHIPPING!! absolutely amazing. :)

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site

It's like a gold card holder, only cheaper ;)

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk Pro

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

Was it buggy out of the box? How would we know? Either way, point of contact for exchanges is almost always the retailer... In your case that's either the seller at RFD or shop.ca. I've had great experience with Google's RMA team, but yes you have to buy from them.

XTNiT-1060 through spacetime.

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site

I don't think its fair for Google or Asus having to cover your return shipping cost when you didn't buy directly from them. I would only expect return shipping cost to be covered by the place I bought it from, not a different company. So in this case its the seller or shop.ca, not Google or Asus.

Also for it to be fair, if you bought directly from a seller and they charged for shipping cost, when you return the product, then they should to cover the shipping cost.

However, if a seller sent something for free shipping, then two things are fair when you have to return the item: either the buyer pay for the return shipping cost. Or the seller cover the cost, but will subtract that cost out of the total of the refund. This is what Amazon does, when you return an item and print out a shipping label they will subtract the cost from the refund total. Or you can choose to ship at your own cost, then they will refund fully.

So imo, I don't think Asus was in the wrong here. Even if I buy something labeled as "new", if it's not from a reputable major retailer like Amazon, but from some auction site (I have no idea what RFD is btw), I should expect zero warranty coverage. Warranty by the norm is not transferable unless offered. There is no reason why Google/Asus should cover shipping cost or warranty for second hand items, it would mean they're giving out money for no reason. (I understand the item was BNIB, but it could be seen as questionable by Asus point of view in this scenario due to exchange of hands). Also I never trust even buying "new" from places like eBay and get warranty.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non