Does it still make sense to but a Nexus 7 a year later?

Docran

Aug 16, 2014
Visit site
I'd like to purchase a tablet for myself and after research the one that makes the most sense for my price range is the Nexus 7. I'm just wondering is it still worth it to buy it now after it's been out for a year?

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I would say if your not one that has to have the latest and greatest then yes, consider it.

The price range is acceptable and most have a good feeling that the Nexus 7 (2013) model will indeed be updated to Android L whenever it is released into full production. That alone gives security that it will receive some initial updates/bug fixes to address any problems with the next edition of Android. So that said and I'm sure researching what the N7 is capable of it makes it a worthy consideration to buy into if you can live with it not being the latest and greatest.

I have the N7 (2012) model and am very pleased with it. It does what I want and performs rather well and if your into AOSP/Pure Android then its the place to be.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I'm quite happy with mine; my only suggestion would be to get a refurbished unit from Amazon/Woot so that you're out the least amount.
If you're heavy into gaming or storing movies/music then be sure to get the 32GB model; otherwise the 16GB variant is fine.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
My 2013 Nexus 7 continues to be an excellent device. Performance is smooth and zippy, and the screen quality is terrific. I can play complex games on it without problems. As mentioned above, if you don't need the newest of the new, then the N7 is a great choice.

bespinct

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
I use my Nexus 7 daily, but I still also find my wife's LG Pad 8.3 a compelling device and it can also be had at a good price.

Posted via Android Central App

jerrykur

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
My guess is that the nexus 7 is reaching the end of its production run. I am hoping for an 8 inch replacement.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
My guess is that the nexus 7 is reaching the end of its production run. I am hoping for an 8 inch replacement.

Agree the N7 is at its end but as the OP asked is it worth investing in. If they agree with what has been said then yes it's still worth buying.

8 Inch would be nice but also comes at price literally in increased cost and would affect battery life with a comparable battery size. You would have to increase battery capacity and utilize a newer power saving processor to match it.

physioprof

Jun 15, 2013
Visit site
I hope they have a new 7 incher. I've had an 8 inch tablet, and found it a bit too wide for me to comfortably hold in one hand.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

Rich215

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
I have had the original N7 then updated to the current N7 2013 when it came out last summer. I can honestly say that compared to your other options and the possible future releases of a Nexus tablet......it wont be a 7 inch version. So with that in mind......getting the current version is still a great option for many reasons. PRICE PRICE PRICE.....when a new Nexus tablet drops, (supposed to be 8 to 8.9 inches) the price will come down again on current 7 inch one. Plus used/refurbished deals will be even better as well.

Secondly and most imports for the average user, the hardware and ability of this tablet is still some of the best. You are or will only be limited by apps. With a good GPS, data capable models if needed, a awesome screen, good sound, slimport/chrome cast capable, plenty of RAM (for now) and a S400 pro (de-tuned S600) snapdragon processor......this tablet will have a good lifespan compared to most all others for its stake in history.

So look for some good deals and try to get the 32g versions.

I was once ready to get a LG G pad....but the screen put me off. If that thing had the same display I would of got one.

jerrykur

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
Agree the N7 is at its end but as the OP asked is it worth investing in. If they agree with what has been said then yes it's still worth buying.

8 Inch would be nice but also comes at price literally in increased cost and would affect battery life with a comparable battery size. You would have to increase battery capacity and utilize a newer power saving processor to match it.

Most of the space inside a tablet is battery, so that would compensate somewhat for the drain of the bigger display. Hopefully the lastest cpu would be used and Android is adding newer power management features. But as long as it works 4 hours between charges I am fine.

ollieg

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site
The question is more "has another tablet come onto the market that bests the 7 in its price range?". I'm thinking the answer is no if the " range" tops out at $250.

A friend is looking for a tablet and I've recommended the 7 to her.

For myself, I'm dieing to get my hands on the nVidia Shield Tablet and its graphics power, but am i $300 interested when my existing tablet has been speedy and responsive for over a year?

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
The question is more "has another tablet come onto the market that bests the 7 in its price range?". I'm thinking the answer is no if the " range" tops out at $250.

A friend is looking for a tablet and I've recommended the 7 to her.

For myself, I'm dieing to get my hands on the nVidia Shield Tablet and its graphics power, but am i $300 interested when my existing tablet has been speedy and responsive for over a year?
You mentioned the Nvidia Shield Tablet. If your into gaming and high end graphics this is a huge win :)

barth2

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
If you really need one now then yeah. If you can wait a bit, maybe you'll find the n8 hits the sweet spot for you. If not, the price on the n7 will only get even lower.

mac_cali

Aug 11, 2014
Visit site
I got my N7 for $100. Yes a new Nexus is going to be out soon, but for the price I wouldn't pass it up. I can always pass it down to the kids and they can use it.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
At the prices they are available for and depending on use, I'd say yes. The device is still a great buy, and if using for light browsing or music use, then it's definitely something to pick up.

kilskev

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
I've had my tablet for over a year and still love it. Maybe a tablet computer for a toy. lol

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

DrGonzo48

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
The touch issues are so bad that it took me about five minutes to get into this thread and type this message. As an added bonus chrome is now freezing. I've had mine for 9 months and no tweaks have made it any more useable. So count me as a no.