So.. I'm returning my N9

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aredubu

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
Google Experience Launcher. It's in the Play Store. Unless you root the device, you can't get rid of all the extra stuff, but you can disable most of it. Runs without a hiccup.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

Oct 8, 2014
Visit site
I hate to say it but mine is boxed back up and being returned.

Light bleed is not bad, but noticeable, the lag opening apps is terrible (I suspect that will be fixed with more software updates however) but at the moment it takes 2-3 seconds to open/swap apps. Their is an annoying creak in the back panel left hand side in portrait mode. Overall........not worth £399.

My nexus 5 is perfect. Thinking about trying the nexus 6 and using that as my phone/tablet instead.

White, 32gb UK version bought from google for those interested in my model.

brosko

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
Looks like you can add me to the return list. The top of my display is much brighter. But only for 1/4inch. And it is uniformly brighter across the entire width of the display. I am not sure if it light bleed or a screen defect.

Posted via Android Central App

Are you going to exchange or just get a refund?

BOSSY TEXAS CHICK

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
i KNOW! i deserted Samsung after about 5 years of brand loyalty (phones) for EVERYTHING LG about a year ago. To me, Samsung was "slipping", had gotten stale, was naming EVERYTHING "Galaxy" and phones were getting better BUT lag was getting worse! Enter Tab S...!! Not gonna lie, still an occasional hesitation or hiccup, but they've streamlined Touchwiz in so many ways in addition to the thinness, screen, performance etc, its a delight to use EVERY TIME regardless... With other tablets (even if they've performed slightly better) i'm like "this tablet is boring!"

I am a "white electronics junkie" so front face in white is also important to my choice, and so many tablets even if white are black in back. can't deal with that! Plus, even tho oldskool, i HAVE to have a "physical home button"...AND removable storage. Also, if i start to see pixels or screen isn't bright enuf, i obsess!

Tab S ticks every box for me.. Even has IR Blaster, not a necessity, but nice that its included : )

(Sorry for the rant, i know this is N9 forum, but once i get to talkin' 'bout my Tab S, there's no shuttin' me up : )

BTC

Last edited:

maxburn

May 19, 2011
Visit site
I'm curious about the lag some people are experiencing? Like with what apps? I'm betting it's apps that aren't optimized for lollipop and ART yet. A lot of people are all up in arms about it. Wouldn't be surprised if it's just compatibility.

That does seem to be the case, thing is for my simple needs there does seem to be a lot of issues.

05GT

May 15, 2011
Visit site
I wonder if BB will be mad at me. Got the new Fire 8.9 HDx, took it back for the Nexus 9.. now the N9 is going back because this first batch has some quirky issues. My power button is pretty much below the edge. I have to dig in to power it on.

Chum

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Do you really ever need to press the power button?
- get a case that powers it on automatically when you flip it open and powers off when you close
- or use the cool feature where you double-tap the screen to turn it on

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
i KNOW! i deserted Samsung after about 5 years of brand loyalty (phones) for EVERYTHING LG about a year ago. To me, Samsung was "slipping", had gotten stale, was naming EVERYTHING "Galaxy" and phones were getting better BUT lag was getting worse! Enter Tab S...!! Not gonna lie, still an occasional hesitation or hiccup, but they've streamlined Touchwiz in so many ways in addition to the thinness, screen, performance etc, its a delight to use EVERY TIME regardless... With other tablets (even if they've performed slightly better) i'm like "this tablet is boring!"

I am a "white electronics junkie" so front face in white is also important to my choice, and so many tablets even if white are black in back. can't deal with that! Plus, even tho oldskool, i HAVE to have a "physical home button"...AND removable storage. Also, if i start to see pixels or screen isn't bright enuf, i obsess!

Tab S ticks every box for me.. Even has IR Blaster, not a necessity, but nice that its included : )

(Sorry for the rant, i know this is N9 forum, but once i get to talkin' 'bout my Tab S, there's no shuttin' me up : )

BTC

I got my wife a Samsung Tab S 10.5 in August for her birthday. It is her first tablet and she loves it. It has a nice screen and good battery life but I hate TouchWiz. TouchWiz and other Samsung quirky Android changes keeps me from every wanting to use a Samsung. It is like buying a laptop that runs a different version of Windows. I also hate the Samsung ugly "physical home button" that is old school ...and I have no use for SD card with free cloud storage. I will never trust Samsung to keep it's Android OS up to date based on their past of experience of abandoning their product updates.

Then there is the Tab S AMOLED screen that color reproductions are like Neon lights Colors that almost glow in the dark. Those colors are a long way from the true colors with the over saturation. Even pure white on the Samsung has a blue tint. Not saying AMOLED can't be pretty but it's colors aren't close to being natural.

Samsung has used the outdated OS to force you to buy a new product as a sales strategy. I got a friend that I recommenced a Samsung Tab 2 10.1 to in 2012 since he wanted a 10" screen and he still yells at me about not telling him that Samsung won't update the OS so you have to buy a new Tablet. My 2012 & 2013 Nexus 7 will both be running Android Lollypop and my friends Samsung will be stuck on 4.1 Jelly Bean forever. If Samsung did this with their Windows laptops no one would every buy their laptops again since they are disposable. The Samsung is perfect for my wife since she hates getting software updates or anything that changes. The Samsung Tab S isn't for me but it did show me that I want a larger screen than a Nexus 7 for gaming.

Last edited:

05GT

May 15, 2011
Visit site
Do you really ever need to press the power button?
- get a case that powers it on automatically when you flip it open and powers off when you close
- or use the cool feature where you double-tap the screen to turn it on

I understand that there are ways around using the power but. But that doesn't excuse the fact that my power button is almost defunct on a new tablet.

jstwondrng

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
I understand that there are ways around using the power but. But that doesn't excuse the fact that my power button is almost defunct on a new tablet.

There is no reason to keep a device that doesn't work well. Not to mention that it cost soooo much money and it is faulty. You may want to see if you can exchange it for a new one if you're still interested in the N9.

J

BOSSY TEXAS CHICK

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
Hi Shilo!

Completely understand (and can relate to a point) to your observations, however the Windows analogy is EXACTLY why i have come to "love Touchwiz"... I used to hate on it, but as Windows 8.0/8.1 took away the things i love so about Windows Operating System, so did Android with all their Kit Kat and above upgrades to Android OS. I actually LOVE that when i turn on a Samsung device, i know EXACTLY where everything is, how to "make it my own", and when Touchwiz "gets in my way", with one tap i am in ADW Ex running things EXACTLY how i want it. No other OEM's skins "getsthehellouttamyway" like Touchwiz does... BTC

jerrykur

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
Are you going to exchange or just get a refund?

I went for the refund. But, I have some time to play with it a bit more and see if a new batch comes out with fewer defects, how Lollipop shakes out, black Friday price drop, etc. The return notice from Amazon said I had to return the item by Jan 31, 2015.

I love Amazon!

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Then there is the Tab S AMOLED screen that color reproductions are like Neon lights Colors that almost glow in the dark. Those colors are a long way from the true colors with the over saturation. Even pure white on the Samsung has a blue tint. Not saying AMOLED can't be pretty but it's colors aren't close to being natural.

Change the display mode to "Basic". Now you have accurate colors. You're welcome.

angry english

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
So..... after saying all this, he's going back to buy the white one lol.....

I don't quite get what the issue is? My 1st black unit was a steaming pile of ****, I'm going to give this device one more try with the white one as people are saying its more solid... Problem?

Posted via the Android Central App

jstwondrng

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
I don't quite get what the issue is? My 1st black unit was a steaming pile of ****, I'm going to give this device one more try with the white one as people are saying its more solid... Problem?

Funny, I thought the same thing when I read your post Angry English. But, it means you really like this device in lieu of the issues the first batch of devices have. You may want to wait for a while to make sure new shipments fix/remedy the issues.

J

jerrykur

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site

The one I am sending back is a white 32 GB, so I would not equate color with quality.

brandonr416

Oct 16, 2014
Visit site
I had the nexus 2012 and then the nexus 2013. I sold my nexus 2013 before this because I just wanted the front facing speakers, I wasnt crazy about the size but I gave it a shot. But man this is one poorly made tablet. It is very slow and laggy, I hit the recent apps button or home button and it takes 3-5 seconds to respond. Battery drains very fast. a fully charged battery died in under 4 hours, mind you i was doing video and gaming but it just drained 20-25 % an hour. Plus my old apps on my nexus 7 do not work, showbox, xmbc, and flash video on fire fox beta. they all do not work. So now I have a week to play with it more but I am not happy at all. I will most likely return this and buy a brand new Nexus 7 2013- at least ill get a new battery as the year old one was dying quite fast. Im sad that I can't have the latest nexus but HTC failed big time on this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cloudsofmana