Google: Status of Nexus Q Pre-order...Free Nexus Q?

bplewis24

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
Check this out!

We have an important update about your Nexus Q pre-order.

When we announced Nexus Q at Google I/O, we gave away devices to attendees for an early preview. The industrial design and hardware were met with great enthusiasm. We also heard initial feedback from users that they want Nexus Q to do even more than it does today. In response, we have decided to postpone the consumer launch of Nexus Q while we work on making it even better.

To thank you for your early interest, we'd like to extend the Nexus Q preview to our pre-order customers and send you a free device. If you had other items in your order, your credit card will be charged for those items only.

Your Nexus Q will be on its way soon and you will receive a notification and tracking number from Google Play when it ships.

The Nexus Q Team

Does this mean I get a free Nexus Q? What about the fact that I ordered 2 of them? Do I only get one free one? I'm mad they postponed this, but excited for a free device at the same time.

tntdroid

Droiderator
Feb 19, 2010
www.flickr.com
Yup you get a free one. Sad I didn't preorder. When the next one comes out it should have more uses and be worth the money.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

anon(580888)

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
If I could pre-order now and score the free device, I'd be racing to the Play Store site lol.

Congrats to the early adopters who got hooked up. Good to see at least one Nexus pre-order get taken care of properly.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

voghan

Jan 30, 2010
Visit site
I'm stoked that I get it free. I'm hoping they just improve the software offerings and keep the hardware the same. If they can get Chrome, Netflix or a Hulu app integrated into the Q people will line up for it.

anon(580888)

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
They need to seriously upgrade the specs, ditch the amp, and lower the price point considerably.

Right now (and please correct me if I'm wrong), it's a Galaxy Nexus sans Phone/Screen for $50 less than the actual phone. A Nexus 7, with its beefed up specs and screen, is actually $100 cheaper than this device. Yes I'm aware that the amp is what's seriously driving the price, and that's exactly why it needs to be removed. Most people just don't need it. At the very least, offer two versions (one with amp, one without).

Make it a Nexus 7 sans screen (Tegra 3 chip, 1 GB RAM, Android 4.1.1 with an actual launcher, and add a controller to blow the OUYA out of the water finally) and drop the price to maximum $150, and they've got themselves a deal.

p08757

** Superhero **
Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
I'm kicking myself now that I didn't pre-order, but in its current software configuration I wouldn't have much use for it now. If it had direct WiFi streaming from my android device instead of from the cloud, I would have ordered one or 2. I don't have public internet access in my work office where I would use this to replace my aging amp and get rid of my long audio cable.

I will definitely keep an eye on this thing as Google makes improvements.

p08757

** Superhero **
Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
They need to seriously upgrade the specs, ditch the amp, and lower the price point considerably.

Right now (and please correct me if I'm wrong), it's a Galaxy Nexus sans Phone/Screen for $50 less than the actual phone. A Nexus 7, with its beefed up specs and screen, is actually $100 cheaper than this device. Yes I'm aware that the amp is what's seriously driving the price, and that's exactly why it needs to be removed. Most people just don't need it. At the very least, offer two versions (one with amp, one without).

Make it a Nexus 7 sans screen (Tegra 3 chip, 1 GB RAM, Android 4.1.1 with an actual launcher, and add a controller to blow the OUYA out of the water finally) and drop the price to maximum $150, and they've got themselves a deal.

Actually the built in amp is one of the things I like.

NickLippert

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
I say keep the amp. Streaming Google Music on the Q is awesome. Love my Q. Wish I had another.

The amp is cool but if they want the Q to be a standalone home theater device then it would need to support some sort of surround sound output. Hopefully they redesign the Q and rerelease it soon.

Evoken

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site
Maybe this is the rumored $99 Nexus they announce next week in NYC. Or maybe I'm just a bad robot.

It is possible. I had forgotten about the Nexus Q but I can definitely see them presenting it in the upcoming event and probably selling it at the more competitive price of $99. I hope because frankly with the way they priced it first I didn't see the device being successful in the market.