what's everyone doing for screen protection on the pixel 2?

hal1

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
I have the Verizon tempered glass coming for my 2 XL today. I'll report back after I get it installed

My experience has been fairly good with them, I let them install them at the store and they go on just about perfect. My only complaint is they seem to accumulate micro scratches from your fingers very easily.

TxSker

Oct 18, 2017
Visit site
I prefer a matte finish screen protector. Anyone seen any they like yet or have one of the IQ Shield protectors on their current phone?

Cherenkov

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
I prefer a matte finish screen protector. Anyone seen any they like yet or have one of the IQ Shield protectors on their current phone?

I tried the J&D dry matte protector and it made the screen look terrible, so I'd say not that one. Tons of rainbow/stippling/pebble effect.

jhnnyblze2000

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
I have the Verizon glass. I let them put it on and there is one spot where something is under it and it's driving me nuts. Other thing I don't like is that it shows finger prints like crazy. I have iq liquid shields coming. Not glass but I used them on my s8 plus and note 8 and absolutely loved them.

btrotta

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
I use (and NEED) the OtterBox Defender. I see that there's no screen protector on the Defender for the XL2. Will a tempered glass protector fit with a Defender?

Orion78

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
Well I just installed the Skinomi screen protector. Just to let you guys know, installing these are a pain in the butt. If I can, I would do without these all together. But I'm paranoid and I want my screens protected lol. I'll see how it looks when it's all settled in.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Zagg offers two types, tempered and HD according to their site

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...pixel-2-xl-screen-protector%2F&token=6DWaEltt

HD is film and not tempered glass and are flat. For tempered, Zagg only offers the flat for the Pixel 2 known as Glass+. The 2 XL is known as Glass Curve.

On Zagg's site, yes. However Verizon has on their website a flat glass protector with beveled edges so there's not as much of an edge as their other protectors. I know with the OG Pixel Verizon had Zagg exclusive protectors a couple weeks before anywhere else.

Jeff Dietzel

Oct 6, 2017
Visit site
Any updates on the best and easiest to install screen protectors? I didn't use one on my OG pixel XL and the screen is all torn up. I want to keep this new screen perfect.

dcemureviews

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
Any updates on the best and easiest to install screen protectors? I didn't use one on my OG pixel XL and the screen is all torn up. I want to keep this new screen perfect.

Check the XDA forums for people's feedback. Some have received and posted their comments. Link to XDA is on 1st page

Orion78

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
I have the curved glass screen protector from Verizon today. I hate it. For some reason I notice lines on each side of the screen. Another fail lol. Looks like I'll still be looking.

Cherenkov

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
I tried out this: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B073RV1T6R/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s03?ie=UTF8&psc=1 It's been about a day. There's one little glinting spot (like a fleck of glitter or something?) which maybe still needs to cure, but otherwise it seems to be pretty good. Good size, good feel. I still really don't like wet applied protectors but until we get some dry ones this is better than nothing. It's certainly very clear, no other graphical issues beyond that little spot and the manufacturer says it could take a few days to fully "cure". MUCH better than the J&D dry apply protector I tried before.

If this doesn't work out, I might end up trimming another phone's protector. The iPhone 8 is almost the same sized screen, or maybe get some Note 8 protectors and trim them down.

Update - Looks like the glitter/sparkle thing is caused by some defect in the material. It gets good reviews on Amazon, maybe I just got unlucky with mine.

Update 2 - Turns out Galaxy S7 screen protectors are the perfect width. They're too long, but if you trim off the top and the bottom they'll protect the screen. Guess I'm using this until some company comes up with a better dry-apply. At least there's choices for S7's.

Last edited:

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
got the amfilm on my xl 2 and it's pretty nice

Fit great, easy install for me and, with a typical case on, the look is perfect. Not sure if mine was from a 'bad batch' or not, but I have had one problem with it (and no, it hasn't been it falling off - that hasn't even hinted at being a problem over the last 4 days with which I've been using an MNML case (same as peel) that provides no shelter to the edges.

The problem I have is that, despite never having dropped it, bumped it, kept it in my pocket with keys or anything else, nor being hamfisted when using the screen, it has developed two hairline cracks in the SP. The first appeared just below the upper left corner after about a week, and the second a day later (not at all connected to the other crack) on the lower right side, about 1/3 up from the bottom.

I'm hoping that it's just mine, but am concerned that it may have to do with accrued stress since the SP actually floats just above the actual display, only fully seated on the edges.

rich250

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
mine is the updated version and has adhesive on the entire SP, I know this for a fact because I got a hair under the SP and had to peel it back off but it reinstalled fine.

AnnDroid

May 19, 2010
Visit site

What do you think caused the scratches? I've always used screen protector and was considering not using one when I get my Penguin/Panda.

bigbearballs

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
What do you think caused the scratches? I've always used screen protector and was considering not using one when I get my Penguin/Panda.
Maybe my keys? I'm really not sure, I thought the gorilla glass was scratch proof but my screen looks otherwise. I've dropped this phone a ton and that could have caused it too.

AnnDroid

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Maybe my keys? I'm really not sure, I thought the gorilla glass was scratch proof but my screen looks otherwise. I've dropped this phone a ton and that could have caused it too.

Thanks. I'm sorry yours has scratches, but it's good to know that as long as I keep the phone away from 'stuff' it should be okay. I have a pocket that's my phone pocket. Nothing else goes in that pocket...well, a hanky but a gals got to keep up appearances ;)

Cherenkov

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
Finally found a winner! This one by IllumiShield works great! It's crystal clear. The cutouts are a little close, but everything still fits. It gets a few knocks because it doesn't come with stickers for removing dust (not a huge deal, I just use blue painter's tape) and it's oddly a little long, leaving the very top edge possibly not fully adhered? Till have to see how that holds up, but easy enough to trim that down if it becomes an issue.

It is barely, barely wider than the screen. Maybe 1-2 mm on each side, so lining it up is a little tough, but the same can be said of most case-friendly protectors.

Overall, very happy with this one, and as you guys can tell I'm pretty picky. Plus it's dry-application, so no powering off the phone, no waiting 24 hours to test it. It won't stop a bullet but it'll keep things from scratching the screen and that's all I'm really worried about.

Yay!