What is going on with this screen?

teamnowak

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
Is this the "black crushing" I'm hearing about. Seems to only affect my lock screen (which should be all black). Defective?
IMG_20171021_191246.jpg

teamnowak

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
Maybe. You sure that background is supposed to be solid black or does it have a gradient to it?

It's solid black. The weirder thing is if i swipe up the circular section gets smaller as well as the size of the clock. When I swipe down, the circular area gets bigger as does the clock.

Ca_lvn

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
If I remember correctly watched a bunch of videos its only on the AOD screen with a black background , believe to be a software issue, sorry but can't be more specific
Most likely fixed soon with a update
None screen releated

jlp0209

Jul 26, 2016
Visit site
Happens on my pixel 2 as well. It doesn't happen on solid black screen in apps or Display Tester, for example. Just on the lock screen and home screen. Very weird but suspect it is software related since it only happens in these specific scenarios?

anon(9072051)

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
Is this the "black crushing" I'm hearing about. Seems to only affect my lock screen (which should be all black). Defective?
Don't know but it's bugging me, too. It's making my Swift Black notifications look klutzy.

At first I thought it was bleed through from the home screen wallpaper, but I can still see traces of that crummy radial gradient lighting effect even using the blackest wallpaper in the Pixel 2 set, "gooey licorice." Now I'm wondering if it isn't connected to the transparency effect tied to the app drawer in the Pixel launcher.

Different ambient lighting qualities can sort of mask it, oddly enough. The lockscreen usually looks a bit better (i.e., more like solid black) when the room lighting is very bright. I couldn't really see an obvious difference between the notifications and the lockscreen wallpaper at work, but I see it all too clearly at home, where I typically have only one or two lights on at a time.

Also doesn't make a difference if Adaptive Brightness or Always-On Display are ON or OFF. Turn brightness down to around 20% with AB on, and you can mask it, but your display will look like its dying.

anon(9072051)

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
There's a big discussion over on Reddit. Ugh, I'll wait to see if it gets fixed by software before I buy...

https://www.reddit.com/r/GooglePixel...ic_xpost_from/
The black crushing that they're discussing must be a different issue than the lock screen problem shown in the OP's picture above. My 2 XL has no problem reproducing the gradients they're using for testing with no black banding. But my lock screen is still messed up.

There's a separate subreddit started about the lock screen problem:

https://www.reddit.com/r/GooglePixel/comments/77b1mv/pixel_2_black_lock_screen_bug/

Last edited: