P2XL screens already fixed?

AustinIllini

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
Per the Verge they are actively looking into the burn-in, as well as the color which we already knew. But the blue tint, brightness, flashing, etc. is being addressed as well, per the conversations with a couple Google reps.
Take it for what it's worth, but I'm hoping the blue tint is fixed with later batches. It's a deal-breaker on a $850 phone for me.

I hope I can get in on it as I already have one.

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Per the Verge they are actively looking into the burn-in, as well as the color which we already knew. But the blue tint, brightness, flashing, etc. is being addressed as well, per the conversations with a couple Google reps.
Take it for what it's worth, but I'm hoping the blue tint is fixed with later batches. It's a deal-breaker on a $850 phone for me.

The way I figure it is I don't mind the blue tint off-angle because... well, I don't go to the effort to look at my phone at a weird angle. Screen burn-in, though, that's a concern.

Good news is, for those of us who have already (or do in the near future) received ones that exhibit these, if they make a change for future production to correct for it, it's a tacit admission of a flaw with the early units, and clear grounds for a warranty exchange.

klau25

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
The way I figure it is I don't mind the blue tint off-angle because... well, I don't go to the effort to look at my phone at a weird angle. Screen burn-in, though, that's a concern.

Good news is, for those of us who have already (or do in the near future) received ones that exhibit these, if they make a change for future production to correct for it, it's a tacit admission of a flaw with the early units, and clear grounds for a warranty exchange.

Haha, apparently a lot of people like to look at their phones with all kinds of weird angles. Been using my 2 XL since last Thursday. Yes it does have a blue tint, but I haven't really noticed it. Why? Because I look at my phone straight on.

gregg37

Feb 28, 2010
Visit site
I canceled my Panda this morning and went with a Pixel2 (and a ship date of a month sooner!). I'll keep an eye out here until my Pixel2 ships later this week. Much more worried about the Burn-In/Refresh issue. That one was the deal breaker for me.

AustinIllini

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site

Right. For me, I'm a yearly phone changer. I love trying the latest and greatest devices. The catch? I need to resell my old device. So, for me, these issues are still very important as resale value is affected by them. That being said, I am in love with the software on this device and Google will likely give a fair trade in value on the Pixel 2 XL when I look to upgrade again.

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
That being said, I am in love with the software on this device and Google will likely give a fair trade in value on the Pixel 2 XL when I look to upgrade again.

Same. And if you were upgrading from the Pixel this year, the trade in value was actually more than fair as it exceeded what the phone is selling for on the general secondhand market! (I expect this is likely because they didn't want to be offering less in trade for their own product than for what was a equally priced iPhone, so they subsidized the difference and a bit more to the 3rd party that's actually acquiring the phones).

Pixelfan56

Oct 13, 2017
Visit site
Same. And if you were upgrading from the Pixel this year, the trade in value was actually more than fair as it exceeded what the phone is selling for on the general secondhand market! (I expect this is likely because they didn't want to be offering less in trade for their own product than for what was a equally priced iPhone, so they subsidized the difference and a bit more to the 3rd party that's actually acquiring the phones).

one reason why i upgraded, google giving me $410 for my pixel XL
I hope they do the same next year and ill most likely get the 3 XL

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
one reason why i upgraded, google giving me $410 for my pixel XL
I hope they do the same next year and ill most likely get the 3 XL

It's a pretty ingenious system to encourage annual upgrades, especially for those who use the Google Financing!

1. Offer more in trade-in value for their current Pixel than one could get selling it secondhand on eBay or Swappa.
  2. Sell them the new Pixel model.
  3. Structure the credit from the trade-in such that it applies on the tail end of the financing, so that the last payment is made on the now-current Pixel right as the next generation releases.
Rinse and repeat.

I think they have me on the hook, those clever devils...

klau25

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
It's a pretty ingenious system to encourage annual upgrades, especially for those who use the Google Financing!

1. Offer more in trade-in value for their current Pixel than one could get selling it secondhand on eBay or Swappa.
  3. Structure the credit from the trade-in such that it applies on the tail end of the financing, so that the last payment is made on the now-current Pixel right as the next generation releases.
Rinse and repeat.

Yup, this is what I been doing for the past. Sell my old phones and buy new ones. Google just made it easier with their trade in program.

Haha, this is how I get my wife to let me change my phone every year.

mobilem1

Aug 23, 2015
Visit site
The level 1 rep was probably referring to a software update that will possibly resolve some color issues. Google did mention recently to an android site (can’t remember which one) they they were looking at a software update to make the colors more vibrate on the display. The burn in issue probably took them by surprise and they are just trying to see how to address that as a separate issue. My advice would be to wait and see how the issue is addressed before taking the plunge. Unless you just have to have the phone now it could be beneficial to wait and possibly get a better quality display in a month or so without having to deal with a warranty replacement.

AustinIllini

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
Yup, this is what I been doing for the past. Sell my old phones and buy new ones. Google just made it easier with their trade in program.

Haha, this is how I get my wife to let me change my phone every year.

Yeah, it's really the only way to do it anymore. The phones are expensive. I used to do every two years, but I thought about it and realized the money kind of works out where it's only a little more expensive a month to swap out every year.

gibsonb2

Aug 25, 2017
Visit site
Well... Since my 2 XL will be here tomorrow (supposedly), I will have to see how this pans out. I will replace it if I need to. I'll probably buy another Essential phone too since I should get $200 credit for my initial purchase of one. I know the few issues with that phone and would gladly get another for a cheaper price.

mchockeyvette27

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site

Rinse and repeat.

Totally off topic, but my gosh, I never looked at it this way!

I didn't buy the original pixel, but if they does this again with the pixel 3, I'll be trading in the pixel 2 for it.

KWKSLVR

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
We just pay ourselves $50-$100/month towards phones and alternate upgrading every other year. Google's trade in value makes it nice, especially if you stick with the Pixel 2. We end up with money left over and at some point we will scale back, depending on what iPhone pricing looks like for my wife.

Zedd

May 11, 2011
Visit site
I want the phone too but now there is a verified burn in issue, it's to new to be having burn in issue IMO.
Also, check out jerryrigeverything on you tube. That guy puts phones thru some serious testing. If the finger print sensor gets scratched, and it's only plastic with a paint coating, it will not longer work. Furthermore the phone has a plastic WiFi antenna, how effective is that going to be?
One last thing, how's it's battery life? Like I said, I really wanted the Pixel 2XL but I don't know, seems to have a lot of issues for being out a week or so...

Michael Sounhein

Oct 14, 2015
Visit site
Yes, the Pixel 2 XL seems to be stuck on sRGB which may make the colors appear muted.

If you search for a setting, in the settings even if it is disabled, I do believe it shows what the setting is configured to. So, if you are a developer, ( you enabled the developers settings) then the setting is searchable. When searching for sRGB the setting seems to be set to sRGB. Why they forced the setting only on the XL is an enigma.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20171023-211037.jpg
    Screenshot_20171023-211037.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 95

maverick7526

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
I want the phone too but now there is a verified burn in issue, it's to new to be having burn in issue IMO.
Also, check out jerryrigeverything on you tube. That guy puts phones thru some serious testing. If the finger print sensor gets scratched, and it's only plastic with a paint coating, it will not longer work. Furthermore the phone has a plastic WiFi antenna, how effective is that going to be?
One last thing, how's it's battery life? Like I said, I really wanted the Pixel 2XL but I don't know, seems to have a lot of issues for being out a week or so...

I wouldn't use jerryrig for anything really. His tests are in no way anything close to reality. I have the phone and it's fine. The WiFi is great. The reception is better than my 6P which I'm upgrading from. The battery life is great. I've been averaging over 5hrs of SoT.

Jonneh

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Re: Yes, the Pixel 2 XL seems to be stuck on sRGB which may make the colors appear muted.

On mine you can just change it in the settings...you're saying you can't? I remember seeing it in my settings and leaving it on. Although I did flip to "vivid" (and saw no real difference in that). I'm happy enough with the default colors as of now.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I believe it's available in the settings, no search needed to find it.
I don't have the phone around right now to check.

maverick7526

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
Re: Yes, the Pixel 2 XL seems to be stuck on sRGB which may make the colors appear muted.

On mine you can just change it in the settings...you're saying you can't? I remember seeing it in my settings and leaving it on. Although I did flip to "vivid" (and saw no real difference in that). I'm happy enough with the default colors as of now.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I believe it's available in the settings, no search needed to find it.
I don't have the phone around right now to check.

The vivid color really only bumps up saturation by about 10%. So it's not a huge difference.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38