Am I in the minority?

UtahRoadie

May 16, 2011
Visit site
Coming from the Pixel Xl to the Pixel 2 XL. I do have the blue tint on angle, and I never would have noticed except that an article pointed it out. No burn in, no black smearing, no high pitched noise. I am not as excited with the Pixel 2 XL as I was the the Pixel XL because I am now used to the amazing speed and quality of the software and camera. The Pixel 2 Xl is an incremental upgrade, and I am very satisfied with my purchase.

May 3, 2015
Visit site
Coming from the Pixel Xl to the Pixel 2 XL. I do have the blue tint on angle, and I never would have noticed except that an article pointed it out. No burn in, no black smearing, no high pitched noise. I am not as excited with the Pixel 2 XL as I was the the Pixel XL because I am now used to the amazing speed and quality of the software and camera. The Pixel 2 Xl is an incremental upgrade, and I am very satisfied with my purchase.

The 2 XL camera is a massive upgrade on the camera! Most low light pics were blurry on XL and if you used the volume rocker it almost always blurred.

P Chase

Oct 24, 2017
Visit site
Oy, don't confuse things. My OG Pixel in my hand is great and has zero screen burn.

I have an OG pixel and (because of the 2 XL news) I decided to load up a 50% gray image and see. Sure enough, "burn in" on the nav bar and very faint on the notification bar. I never noticed it before, or even knew to look for it. So a quick and dirty google search showed S8's with the same issue, S5's, my VERY old GNex basically every OLED phone has some degree of burn in. If you can't see it on anything other than a neutral gray screen in a dark room with the brightness turned up then I don't care. I'll still be watching for it when my P2XL gets here though. I'm sure I'll still enjoy the phone and if it has issues I'll call Google and get it replaced. I had to RMA my N5X and it was quick and easy. It sucks that I have to consider that with a brand new $850 phone, but such is the price you pay when you pre-order the new hotness.

Userexists

Oct 12, 2017
Visit site
+100000000 to most of this thread.

My phone is great. I am a picky person when it comes to most everything. I got either really lucky with mine or as some have said this issues are way over blown. I wonder if some of these issues are from the review units and not the retail. My screen is great, phone goes through everyday tasks no problem, and no burn in. I could not be happier.

Guto Aaron

Oct 23, 2017
Visit site
Here's my take:

My phone history is iPhone 4 -> Samsung s5 -> iPhone 6 -> Samsung s7 Edge -> iPhone 6 (my s7e smashed after about the 20th drop in two months, slippery bugger!)

I was seriously excited about the new Pixels, even watched the live event (which is common to lots of you I'm sure, but not me!). I was a bit disappointed to see the Pixel 2 still had the huge bezels, so decided to go for the XL2 and pre-ordered one that night. Got very very excited, went to look at one on display in the shop and loved the look, then read all the original reviews which were fantastic. Then the screen problems started being reported. After reading every article I could, and getting more and more worried I started coming on to these forums, which made me even more worried!

Last night I ordered a Pixel 2, thinking that I could play around for it for 2 weeks and, if I liked it, cancel the XL2 as I was just too worried about the screen. But today, I went back to the shop and spent a lot of time playing with the XL2 with different brightness settings, vivid mode on/off and different colour backgrounds. And do you know what...

The screen was absolutely fine! Seriously could not see what the issue is. Yes, there was a faint blue tint when viewing off angle, but I would never have realised it if I wasn't looking for it and there's no way it would bother me when using it. Coming from the iPhone 6, the colours didn't seem dull whatsoever, but I'm sure that will be different for those coming from a Samsung phone. I did everything I could to try and see burn in, but there was nothing, and this is a phone that's had the display on all day for over a week. Same for graininess.

No doubt there's too many bad quality screens around, but as long as you get a fully functional one then you will be totally fine, beautiful in fact (And if you don't get a fully functional one, send it back until you do!).

In other words, I've cancelled the order for the smaller Pixel and now I'm back to being excited for my XL 2 to arrive!!

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
+100000000 to most of this thread.

My phone is great. I am a picky person when it comes to most everything. I got either really lucky with mine or as some have said this issues are way over blown. I wonder if some of these issues are from the review units and not the retail. My screen is great, phone goes through everyday tasks no problem, and no burn in. I could not be happier.

Always happy to hear these kind of posts. I'm hoping most of the issues we're hearing are indeed overblown.

ihbsbA

May 16, 2010
Visit site
I don't want to bash on anyone, but media is hyping this WAYYYYYY beyond what it probably is. It's now a "THING", when it was probably never going to be a "thing" before all the blogs and reviewers got into it. NOT A SINGLE reviewer mentioned any of these "issues" when reviewing their units, so they are clearly not noticeable. My ONLY concern is the burn-in, but if that happens it will be easy to prove and Google will replace.

pstellato73

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
Upgraded from s7edge with google now to P2 XL from Verizon.

I see the news and threads about screen problems, burn-in, etc, but I do not notice any of these and I have looked for them. In fact, this phone is everything I expected and more. My spouse tried it and finally said she is tired of her iphone 7 and wants to come back to android. My screen looks great, and I find I am using the integrated google assistant more than I thought. Enough that we went out and bought a google home. Some positive vibes for this Tuesday!

I agree 100% with you. I came from a Samsung galaxy S7 edge as well and this phone beats the crap out of that one hands down. The reason I switched from Samsung is the inconsistencies. Great one day, crap the next. Battery life was going by the way side. I love samsung, But so far I'm liking the android experience on this pixel 2 xl. I don't see the issues with the screen even if they are there. I look at this screen and I don't see an issue. If Google issues a recall I'll take the new replacement. The phone is fast, no lag whatsoever, the finger print reader is extremely accurate and fast.
My biggest issue is the vibrate motor is not as strong as my Samsung. I've missed 2 calls in one day because I can't keep my ringer on at work. Can't hear and barely feel the vibration when vibrate is on. Looking for suggestion on how to fix that.

Ron Copsetta

Jun 6, 2015
Visit site
I just finally found a Verizon store that had pixel 2 and pixel 2 XL side by side on display and I too was ready to cancel my pixel 2 XL until 5 minutes ago, if anything has a full or slightly washed out display it's the smaller of the two, I thought the pixel 2 XL looked absolutely great. I did notice the blue tint on angle but I can definitely live with that. I also had my galaxy S8 plus side by side with the pixel 2 XL and the pixel 2 XL was just as good if not better. The phone was just as smooth and snappy as I was expecting. Can't wait for mine to arrive on Nov 1-3.

jam4775

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
The Verge blew this whole screen thing out of proportion and they are continuing to do so.

Yes there is a color shift when you tilt the phone but other than that I think the screen looks great. When I place the Pixel 2 XL next to my Pixel XL I think the new Pixel's screen looks more vibrant. Yes the colors are less saturated but the screen also doesn't look as dull as the original Pixel XL... it's kind of hard to explain.

After 5 days of use I don't have any screen burn-in but if I do get screen burn-in sooner than expected I'll warranty the phone. My original Pixel XL has slight burn-in after a year of use, which in my opinion is to be expected with on-screen buttons after an extended period of time.

While I agree that paying this much for a phone the panel should be very very good... I just don't think this panel is as bad as some say given my time with the Pixel 2 XL. Samsung does make the best panels and the sad truth is you're never going to see their best panels in some other manufacturers phone.

DominionRoofs

Dec 14, 2016
Visit site
Been wanting to try the XL but keep canceling my order. You guys are starting to convince me though. I saw it in Verizon and it was noticeably sharper than the regular pixel. I might be crazy but I thought the blue tint was kinda cool.. Lol. I like the point about the burn in being warranty worthy. Honestly, if I have to download an app and put on a particular color screen to see it, I'm not sure this is such a big deal unless it shows in every day use. Read it could be screen "retention" or something like that anyway. My trigger finger is itchy so I may reorder tonight. 🙃

May 3, 2015
Visit site
Been wanting to try the XL but keep canceling my order. You guys are starting to convince me though. I saw it in Verizon and it was noticeably sharper than the regular pixel. I might be crazy but I thought the blue tint was kinda cool.. Lol. I like the point about the burn in being warranty worthy. Honestly, if I have to download an app and put on a particular color screen to see it, I'm not sure this is such a big deal unless it shows in every day use. Read it could be screen "retention" or something like that anyway. My trigger finger is itchy so I may reorder tonight. 🙃

My og XL had the nav bar burnt into it. You could literally only see it when the nav bar was gone and there was a textureless bright BG on screen. So basically never.

Last edited:

Orion78

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
I don't want to bash on anyone, but media is hyping this WAYYYYYY beyond what it probably is. It's now a "THING", when it was probably never going to be a "thing" before all the blogs and reviewers got into it. NOT A SINGLE reviewer mentioned any of these "issues" when reviewing their units, so they are clearly not noticeable. My ONLY concern is the burn-in, but if that happens it will be easy to prove and Google will replace.

Yup! My phone is doing fine so far. Even the bluish tint isn't that extreme on mine.

falcondr1

Oct 22, 2016
Visit site
I must say that it is good to hear from those who are happy with the pixel 2 series. I got my 2 xl last Thursday and have been pleased with it this far. I upgraded from the original xl for three main reasons: IP67 rating, always on display and front facing speakers. I do have the blue tint which I for some reason find interesting. I kinda like it when I tilt the phone it turns a little blue. I think the screen looks good to me. I did notice today while on a call with volume fully turned up some distortion and noise coming from the top speaker. I solved it by turning down the speaker a couple of notches (yes I need maximum volume as I am a little hard of hearing so save the hate please). I have not experienced the so called screen burn in issue some are reporting. Since there is a 1 year warranty on the phone plus my insurance I am keeping it. If need be I will deal with getting a replacement if something happens later down the road.

jhnnyblze2000

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
Definitely not in the minority. I absolutely love this phone. Picked up my note 8 a few minutes ago to reset it for resale and didn't miss using it in the least bit. Yes it's still and absolutely amazing phone and yes I still like it but I love this phone so so so much more.

frichardson

Oct 24, 2017
Visit site
My Pixel 2 XL 128 arrived today. I've done a small amount of testing and the only issue I see so far is the blue tint for off-angle viewing which I find pretty minor. I watched a few videos and looked at some lush out-door photographs. I honestly couldn't detect any artifacts or issues.

"Burn-in" is going to take longer to assess and that still worries me, but from what little I've seen so far I'm pretty impressed.

I did notice that the phone did a software update right away. I wonder if some of the issues were mitigated with that...

In the interest of full disclosure my previous (or current) phone is a Samsung S5. I wanted to wait a while to upgrade and thought 2nd generation Pixel would be a good choice. Unfortunately I can't wait much longer as my S5 is really becoming difficult to live with.

On a totally different sort of issue, the price tag is a shocker. I've paid a few hundred more for a premium Ultrabook!

Garemlin

Apr 14, 2012
Visit site
I will say the blue tint was a slight yellow flag at most for me. Not much to worry about. I mean I can't recall the last time I ever used my phone at an angle. The muted colors not really an issue. I always hated over saturated colors like Samsung and I think it was the Droid Turbo. Or maybe it was the Razr. The burn in and now the ticking sounds are what have me on the fence. I think I am going to wait it out and see what happens. Maybe in a month it will all be sorted out. And that will fall around Black Friday and hopefully there will be some good deals like there were last year.

Really wanting to come back to Android from Apple after a two year hiatus. But I won't do it unless it is with a phone I will be completely happy with.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Upgraded from s7edge with google now to P2 XL from Verizon.

I see the news and threads about screen problems, burn-in, etc, but I do not notice any of these and I have looked for them. In fact, this phone is everything I expected and more. My spouse tried it and finally said she is tired of her iphone 7 and wants to come back to android. My screen looks great, and I find I am using the integrated google assistant more than I thought. Enough that we went out and bought a google home. Some positive vibes for this Tuesday!

No, you're not. The thing to remember is this place, this dark and wretched sewer scented den of scumbaggery known as the internet, and especially the tech blog side of it, is full of super-nerds who have absolutely nothing in common with normal people. Normal people don't have the issues that the internet invents for themselves. So when you aren't having those fake issues, you actually have more in common with the 99% of normal people out there who don't have those issues. Which sorta makes you kinda maybe normal, even though you're still in this horrible place... I guess high five?

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
I shied away from all of this noise until we found the screen burn (still not convinced it's regular OLED burn-in nor Image retention, because it acts like both at once). Had i wrote anything it would have been:

The Pixel XL uses a GB<>rb subpixel layout. White is all extra blue brightness and if you tilt your phone while it's drawing a light color it will have a blue haze instead of the yellow haze the Note 8 and GS 8 with a double green subpixel layout have. Yellow doesn't stand out as much against bright colors. Samsung is smart. Samsung is also better at QC and phones with a bad tiniting problem get rejected or used in budget models

The screen is grainy like an older Samsung OLED screen is when you disable any system-wide color management. LG is behind when it comes to screen tech. They'll get better because Apple and Google want to drop Samsung as their sole display provider and have injected over a billion dollars into LGDisplay. Google should have see this coming and provided a saturated mode to satisfy people.

If your phone has bands of red, green or blue color, return it. Your **** is busted.

If your phone shows signs of burn-in, return it. Your **** is busted.

If your phone looks OK to you, ignore what anyone else has to say because it's your money, not theirs.