Google to address Pixel 2 XL screen issues with several software changes and offer 2 year warranty

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Antenna Gate & Bend Gate.

Bendgate wasn't a thing unless you were dumb enough to put your 6 inch phone in your back pocket and try and sit down on said phone. Antennagate their reaction was pretty much the same as google's; deny there's a problem, provide a placebo in the form of a case so people forget about the problem.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
In 4 days?

Well battery swelling takes a whole lot longer than that. When they started seeing warranty claims for it, they extended the warranty to three full years so people would be covered, and they did it without a massive ****show like we saw with the pixels, the note 7, or any other phone related problems.

mj0528

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
Bendgate wasn't a thing unless you were dumb enough to put your 6 inch phone in your back pocket and try and sit down on said phone. Antennagate their reaction was pretty much the same as google's; deny there's a problem, provide a placebo in the form of a case so people forget about the problem.
They were holding it wrong lol

diesteldorf

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Some credit cards will also add an additional year of warranty, so this could mean coverage for the full 3-year lifecycle of the phone.

dmxjago

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
Maybe it's just me, but when I hold the phone in landscape mode, my thumb is NEVER on the screen - I hold by the edges with my pinky and index finger on the edges and my other two fingers on the back of the device. But I did just test it, and the speakers are further to the edge than what you need for leverage to hold and balance the phone - so in other words, you won't cover the speakers...

Me too my thumbs don't touch the screen either.. I've had front facing speakers on the HTC m7, M8 and Nexus 6p and none of them my finger ever touched the speakers.

dmxjago

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
Not crazy about them making the screen any dimmer but I'm happy they'll implement a saturated screen mode so quickly. The two year warranty is just icing on the cake for me since i ordered mine about an hour before they announced this. Feeling much better about my decision to try the xl over the note now.

I don't think they are making it dimmer everywhere i think they said they were changing the navigation bar and notifications bar's colors to a lighter color barely noticeable to address people's concerns in regards to burn in, but they are confident that burn in would occur at a normal rate just like other OLED phones such as Samsung.. Either way the fact that we get 2 years warranty I'm okay with it as if I ever receive burn in i'll ask for a replacement . :D

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Random off-topic question here but I'll ask because I recognize a bunch of you from the LG G6 forum . . I'm wondering about the front firing speakers, it would seem to me that if I were holding the 2XL in landscape mode I would be covering the speakers with my thumb, have any of you experienced that? Thanks (I live far enough from a Verizon store that it will be next week before I can play with one) . . .

I haven't run into that. I am almost day 3 on the phone.

Jeremiah Bonds

Trusted Member
Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
Random off-topic question here but I'll ask because I recognize a bunch of you from the LG G6 forum . . I'm wondering about the front firing speakers, it would seem to me that if I were holding the 2XL in landscape mode I would be covering the speakers with my thumb, have any of you experienced that? Thanks (I live far enough from a Verizon store that it will be next week before I can play with one) . . .
I haven't covered the speaker yet. It has a fuller sound than the G6. Sometimes it's louder, sometimes its the same.

Garemlin

Apr 14, 2012
Visit site
I don't think they are making it dimmer everywhere i think they said they were changing the navigation bar and notifications bar's colors to a lighter color barely noticeable to address people's concerns in regards to burn in, but they are confident that burn in would occur at a normal rate just like other OLED phones such as Samsung.. Either way the fact that we get 2 years warranty I'm okay with it as if I ever receive burn in i'll ask for a replacement . :D

With the fact that they say burn in occurs at a normal rate do you think they will actually cover it under warranty?

Guto Aaron

Oct 23, 2017
Visit site
Solid move by Google, whether there is burn in or not then these software tricks will help convince people they've 'sorted' things and the 2 year warranty gives peace of mind. My concerns over the screen had died down the last few days but now I'm even happier!

Also, calling the new colour mode 'Saturated Mode' is passive aggressiveness at its best!

dc52ltr

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
Great response from Google and yet another reason that software before hardware works so well for the Pixel brand. Function over form! You can adjust things OTA, but you can't move bad placement of a Fingerprint Scanner no matter what!
Haha, love it!

dc52ltr

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
Never had that problem with my 6P and it has similar speaker placement.

dc52ltr

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
Slow clap. This should silence the haters. Never seen Apple respond this way. Which is why I love Google. They take care of their customers. Brian and Marquess were right to say this stuff was asinine to begin with.

Those complaining about the screens not being oversaturated can expect to see a battery hit. You won't get the same SOT as those using natural colors. But this is Android, at least you have the option of choosing.
Dead right!

dov1978

Trusted Member
Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Feel confident enough to finally pull the trigger on the Pixel 2 XL now. Time to join the back of the long queue to see the Panda

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez