Pixel 2 or Oneplus 5T?

1adam

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
Hi,

If price were no issue, would folks recommend I buy a Pixel 2 or a Oneplus 5T?

I am moving from a BlackBerry KeyOne which I've given up on because of speed/memory in basic operation.

I am more of a fan of the size of Pixel 2 than the Oneplus (or Pixel XL) but the screen to body ratio of the Pixel 2 is a bit frustrating when I held one today in London.

adventure95004

May 16, 2012
Visit site
I can not speak to the 5t but I had a note 8, iPhone x, Moto Z2 Play(current phone) and the pixel 2xl and ended up staying with the pixel.. Now the rest of the story! I got my 1st pixel a week after they came out and sent it back "rma" the same day for blue tint.. The replacement was just as bad so I sent it back for a refund..
Picked up the other two but after a few days missed the pixel so ordered another one, this one was good and I used all four phones for about eight days swapping out daily and sometimes two at the same time lol, pixel on project Fi and the other one on my sprint account.
I can't give you a firm reason why, but the pixel is just nicer to use. The camera is awesome and while you may think you are missing things on the pixel you really don't. I purchased an extra Razer dongle from Amazon for my wired buds and I can't see needing more storage than 128 with unlimited picture storage from Google and battery life has been great.
The experience is smooth and I've found myself using the squeeze a lot more than I thought I would..
Overall I'm satisfied with the phone and do not feel like I am missing anything.
I know this isn't exactly the phones you were talking about but with the pixel a lot of it is the software experience and you will get the same with the pixel 2.

Regards Andy

anon(661246)

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
I would recommend the Pixel for two reasons: security updates and platform updates.

OnePlus isn't too bad with these to be honest. The camera is better on the pixel but OnePlus camera isn't horrible but any means. If I wasn't out of the country and missed the return window, I probably would have stayed with the o5.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Both phones are great options... However, I think it comes down to what you're looking for in a phone. Here would be my breakdown of the two devices:

OnePlus 5T:
- alert slider
- bigger battery (when compared to the 2)
- 6" and apparently feels good in the hand despite that size
- not water resistant
- great bang for your buck

Google Pixel 2:
- smaller battery and screen size (but apparently battery life is still excellent)
- water resistant
- AOD
- squeeze feature
- gets updates faster than than any manufacturer
- stock Android
- more personalized SOT estimations based on personal use

It's hard to test out the 5T in the hand to see how it would work for you, so I'd recommend watching unboxing videos on YouTube to try and get a general idea.

Please let us know what you decide!

A Myers

Nov 23, 2017
Visit site
I've come from a OnePlus 3 to a Pixel 2. Oneplus phones are excellent, the only issue I had with the 3 was the camera not being great in low light & the battery being poor

Took me a while to get used to a smaller screen on the pixel 2 but am loving the phone so far. If money is no object, definitely get this, unless you need a bigger screen, in which case I'd be tempted to get the 5t

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Pixel 2 XL is equal to or better in every way except for quantity of RAM and the price tag. So real question is do the advantages of the 2 XL add up to increased value enough to command the price difference for you? For me yes, even at full price on both. 2 XL has also been on sale for half off or more several times so far this year, so one of my 2 XL's I got at $475 + tax, making it cheaper than the OP5T (when not on sale).

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I would say if you aren't too concerned on cash then Pixel 2 for sure. If you're trying to get a good mid-ranger without spending a dollar more then needed I would say the OP5T.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Pixel 2 XL is equal to or better in every way except for quantity of RAM and the price tag. So real question is do the advantages of the 2 XL add up to increased value enough to command the price difference for you? For me yes, even at full price on both. 2 XL has also been on sale for half off or more several times so far this year, so one of my 2 XL's I got at $475 + tax, making it cheaper than the OP5T (when not on sale).

Oh my... What a great deal that was!

Norgoth

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
I had the OnePlus 5T and the pixel 2 XL. In the end I chose the pixel 2 XL over the 5T because once you get used to the software on the pixels there is no going back. I believe the hardware on the 5T feels better in the hand but the software of the XL is just so pleasant. However if you're tight on money then the 5T is a fantastic deal.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I had the OnePlus 5T and the pixel 2 XL. In the end I chose the pixel 2 XL over the 5T because once you get used to the software on the pixels there is no going back. I believe the hardware on the 5T feels better in the hand but the software of the XL is just so pleasant. However if you're tight on money then the 5T is a fantastic deal.

That's a pretty good review of both devices! So cool that you got to use both!