Battery life took a hit after 8.1 update

gibsonb2

Aug 25, 2017
Visit site
Mine seems slightly worse. Not sure why. I've just noticed my standby time at night has more battery drainage. Went from losing ~3% to around ~6-7%.

mogelijk

Trusted Member
Jul 14, 2013
Visit site
Personally, I'm a big fan of clearing/reformatting the cache partition after an Android update. It seems to prevent and/or fix many of the "upgrade battery issues."

DustBow

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
I'm starting to think the battery meter was not working properly on 8.0 - I was getting crazy good battery life, to the point where it was almost impossible. One day last week w/ light usage I was showing 93% battery left after being off the charger for 10 hours and about 1 hour of screen time.

We all look at that battery icon % and just assume it's accurate but how to really know?

sixty_four

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
I'm starting to think the battery meter was not working properly on 8.0 - I was getting crazy good battery life, to the point where it was almost impossible. One day last week w/ light usage I was showing 93% battery left after being off the charger for 10 hours and about 1 hour of screen time.

We all look at that battery icon % and just assume it's accurate but how to really know?

I was thinking the same thing too. After about an hour off the charger and 30 minutes SOT, my phone would often be at 99-100%. That made me feel better about life, the universe and everything but it couldn't have been accurate.

Now there are some people reporting significant drops in SOT from full charge to empty with 8.1 and that to me is a more accurate metric.

jsarino

VR Expert
Trusted Member
Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
Battery life seems to be normal for me since 8.1. I've also turned on PVC and showed no difference. AR on the other hand is another story, but that's to be expected for that feature.

Chex313

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
I have taken a serious hit , but only on the final 8.1, the beta's we're fine.

I can directly attribute it to running tv on my FiOS app, and video thru chrome, they probably need an update.

I only see the battery take a hit on those things running.

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
I was thinking the same thing too. After about an hour off the charger and 30 minutes SOT, my phone would often be at 99-100%. That made me feel better about life, the universe and everything but it couldn't have been accurate.

Now there are some people reporting significant drops in SOT from full charge to empty with 8.1 and that to me is a more accurate metric.

I'm also starting to wonder if this isn't maybe a more reasonable possibility. I've been judging by what the battery meter was telling me and wondering if now after 8.1 the meter was recalibrated to a more true accuracy. Still tempted to do an FDR to satisfy that curiosity tho.

xweb10

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
My battery life is night and day after updating to 8.1. I will give it another day to be sure, but it is rather terrible. I do not want to do a factory reset as that is a PITA and should not have to be done. Usually after 4-5 hours in the A.M. after a full charge I am at 96-98% (not alot of use). I am now at 88%. I will monitor.

Lilybell2

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
Personally, I'm a big fan of clearing/reformatting the cache partition after an Android update. It seems to prevent and/or fix many of the "upgrade battery issues."

I've always been a big fan of wiping the cache partition after an OS update; however, Pixel phones do not have a cache partition. A FDR can be helpful though.

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
I've always been a big fan of wiping the cache partition after an OS update; however, Pixel phones do not have a cache partition. A FDR can be helpful though.

I thought this as well and was a result of Oreo. After reading this post earlier I googled info and tried a cache partion clear following the detailed instructions and could not get it to work and after a few attempts I gave up. I think an FDR is the way to go and have no idea what the Google guy was talking about.

jsarino

VR Expert
Trusted Member
Feb 25, 2011
Visit site

You could download Files Go by Google, which has an app cache clearing function.

Lilybell2

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
I thought this as well and was a result of Oreo. After reading this post earlier I googled info and tried a cache partion clear following the detailed instructions and could not get it to work and after a few attempts I gave up. I think an FDR is the way to go and have no idea what the Google guy was talking about.

Bottom line, you can't clear what doesn't exist. None of the Pixel phones, 1st or 2nd generation, have a cache partition, nothing to do with Oreo and everything to do with the way the phone is "built." Pixel phones use two partitions. When you install an OS update, it doesn't install on the partition your phone is currently using. Instead, it installs on the partition that's not in use. When you reboot your phone, it boots into the partition where the update was just installed. If something wasn't right and the installation of the update went awry, then the phone will reboot back into the previous working partition.

A FDR is a good way to clear up clutter and get a fresh start.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress