The Pixel's biggest competitor is........the iPad

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I wasn't really my intent to debate my decision in isolation. What I was trying to say that as long as the iPad is the most common tablet out there, I think Google is going to have a challenge selling Android phones to tablet users. Although, I don't know what percentage of smartphone users own tablets.

Tablets are becoming less common, especially as convertibles and laptops are gaining much of the tablet functionality. And Android tablets, in general, suck. The 2 best tablets available on the market are Android, Pixel C and Nvidia SHIELD, but after those two... it goes down hill fast. And those two are incredibly dated, so I might have a very difficult time justifying how exactly they're better than the newest iPads.

VivaTerlingua

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Tablets are becoming less common, especially as convertibles and laptops are gaining much of the tablet functionality. And Android tablets, in general, suck. The 2 best tablets available on the market are Android, Pixel C and Nvidia SHIELD, but after those two... it goes down hill fast. And those two are incredibly dated, so I might have a very difficult time justifying how exactly they're better than the newest iPads.

Even if a great Android tablet were to come out, it would have a tough road ahead of it as Android tablet apps are way behind iPad apps.

anon(10092459)

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
I wasn't really my intent to debate my decision in isolation. What I was trying to say that as long as the iPad is the most common tablet out there, I think Google is going to have a challenge selling Android phones to tablet users. Although, I don't know what percentage of smartphone users own tablets.

Not sure how familiar you are with forums of any kind, but once you post a topic that topic is open for debate/discussion. So posters will comment and share their take on the topic.

Regarding tablets, I am of the opinion that most Android users that utilize tablets use the iPad. But those same users make Google the center of the ecosystem and not iOS. What I mean by that is Google is cross platform, so using say Chrome on iPad or Mac or PC or whatever for that matter, the user has pretty much the same experience.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Even if a great Android tablet were to come out, it would have a tough road ahead of it as Android tablet apps are way behind iPad apps.

100% agree with you on the tough road, but I don't think it is because of apps. At least not entirely. There are some apps that are quite a bit better, but also some apps are surprisingly less supported or absent entirely. Interestingly enough, a whole lot of Google's own apps are better on iOS than they are on Android.

enderhexfyre

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
I own a pixel 2 XL and a 2017 iPad 9.7. I prefer these devices where they fit in my life and would never want an iPhone as I get the best of both worlds imho.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
100% agree with you on the tough road, but I don't think it is because of apps. At least not entirely. There are some apps that are quite a bit better, but also some apps are surprisingly less supported or absent entirely. Interestingly enough, a whole lot of Google's own apps are better on iOS than they are on Android.

When you consider the total number of useful apps out there I don't find much difference even if the differences exist. I use my phone way more than any tablet and that could be the reason why which tablet I use is irrelevant. When I had my Android tablet it was fine until it stopped getting updates. That was my biggest gripe with Android tablets because we generally keep tablets longer than phones or at least I do. Someone bought me the iPad Air as a gift going back. I used to use it a lot but now not so much. I can do most everything I need to do on my phone.... Just easier than whipping out a big tablet. I also find that I prefer using a real keyboard with a tablet. I have mine in a ZAGG folio keyboard case so it ends up being more like a laptop.

VivaTerlingua

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Not sure how familiar you are with forums of any kind, but once you post a topic that topic is open for debate/discussion. So posters will comment and share their take on the topic.

Regarding tablets, I am of the opinion that most Android users that utilize tablets use the iPad. But those same users make Google the center of the ecosystem and not iOS. What I mean by that is Google is cross platform, so using say Chrome on iPad or Mac or PC or whatever for that matter, the user has pretty much the same experience.

I'm obviously not trying to dictate what people can say. I just wanted to discuss the iPad/Android phone thing in general. Not specific to me. But that's OK, I'm happy to talk about me too :)

bnice

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
I already new the op would find excuses for the pixel XL phone. If you been with iOS for years, how is 14 days experiences going to change your mind process? It's all about preference, some prefer iPhone,some Samsung some the google pixel. All this imessage, iTunes and this app works better, oh and I'm invested in this and that os is just excuses.

sixty_four

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
I'm 59 years young...... That's why I like larger phones but I don't need a tablet for most things.

I still use a Nexus 7 2013 and an old Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.5. Mostly at home and in bed while winding down for the day (catching up on news, reading Kindle and Marvel Unlimited content).

jlarkins08

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
I have an iPad mini 4 and a OG Pixel, I have no issues using both devices everyday and Google makes it easy for me to sync information between devices! I love having both OSes

van_basten

Nov 23, 2014
Visit site
I don't see how iPad is a competitor of Pixels. I have a Pixel 2 and an iPad 9.7-inch 2017. It's a good combination. I do not want an iPhone or an android tablet.

VivaTerlingua

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
I don't see how iPad is a competitor of Pixels. I have a Pixel 2 and an iPad 9.7-inch 2017. It's a good combination. I do not want an iPhone or an android tablet.

Everyone is using themselves for examples. You all are not average users. I can not picture giving an Android phone to my dad, mom, girlfriend, or boss and even remotely expecting them to coordinate it with their iPad.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Everyone is using themselves for examples. You all are not average users. I can not picture giving an Android phone to my dad, mom, girlfriend, or boss and even remotely expecting them to coordinate it with their iPad.

Well of course we are. What else do I go off of? :p. You seem to make it sound like Android is some supercomputer of death that no normal person can grasp... It isn't that serious. iPhone is more friendly but it just feels you're making Android into something crazy when it isn't that bad.

My parents even struggle with iPhones. I could have taught them Android but I told them to go with iPhone due to Facetime w/ the fam (aunts/uncles/etc.). Not because I couldn't teach it... Tapping Facebook on my Pixel is the same as tapping Facebook on my iPhone when I had it.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Both of your threads are a clear indication that you need to justify why the Pixel doesn't work for you. The iPhone is great phone and the iPad is a great tablet. If you feel that works for you than that's great. The iPad is not the pixels greatest competitor. If the iPad was the deciding factor on how people picked their phones than all of Android would be concerned not just Pixel.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty