drain battery to 0 first time?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
No, but charging to 100%, then letting it go until the phone shuts off the first time, then charging to 100% again (reforming the battery) wouldn't hurt.

For calibration, unfortunately, the phone has to be rooted, because a system file has to be changed. (See Battery Calibration.)

sixty_four

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
No, but charging to 100%, then letting it go until the phone shuts off the first time, then charging to 100% again (reforming the battery) wouldn't hurt.

From what I've read, this actually would hurt a lithium ion battery. Li-ion's don't like full discharges.

Big Ry

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
Nickel cadmium batteries and to a lesser degree Nickel metal hydride batteries need to be discharged periodically. But NiCd batteries aren't used in phones, and NiMH batteries haven't been used in phones for well over a decade. The Lithium ion batteries in all modem phones should never be discharged, ideally. It shortens their life. The "battery memory" claims you hear are a relic from the NiCd days of the 70s/80s.

1901Madison

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
No. We need to let go of all this silliness. Just use your phone and charge it while you sleep, no matter what battery percentage you're at.

klau25

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
No. We need to let go of all this silliness. Just use your phone and charge it while you sleep, no matter what battery percentage you're at.

Agreed, this is true especially for those of us who changes their phone at least once a year. I really don't see the point of trying to preserve it if I end up switching my phone next year.

blackhemi4x4

Dec 8, 2013
Visit site
From what I've read, this actually would hurt a lithium ion battery. Li-ion's don't like full discharges.
Lithium ion are protected to prevent a full discharge. Your phone may show zero, but it's got some charge left.

With the physical circuit protection plus the software side of Oreo, you can fully charge and discharge all you want ant it won't make any difference.

worldspy99

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
Use it normally and ignore all this battery advice that doesn't apply to modern batteries along with the software that manages the power input/output.

I usually plug it in around 15% or so which is what my Pixel drains down to in about 19-20 hours with about 4.5 hours of SoT.

sixty_four

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
Use it normally and ignore all this battery advice that doesn't apply to modern batteries along with the software that manages the power input/output.

I usually plug it in around 15% or so which is what my Pixel drains down to in about 19-20 hours with about 4.5 hours of SoT.

As a former Nexus 6P owner, I've been burned by putting my faith in the ability of the device or OS to safely manage battery for maximum service life. It wouldn't be as big a deal for me if phones came with user-replaceable batteries but since I'm stuck with this battery for the lifetime of the device, I'm trying not to discharge mine too far as much as possible.

muzzy996

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Lithium ion are protected to prevent a full discharge. Your phone may show zero, but it's got some charge left.

With the physical circuit protection plus the software side of Oreo, you can fully charge and discharge all you want ant it won't make any difference.

Tell that to the users who have reported that their Note 8's no longer boot after fully discharging their devices.

https://www.xda-developers.com/samsung-galaxy-note-8-galaxy-s8-battery-issues/

I know this isn't a Note 8 specific forum/thread but if there's no benefit to doing it then avoiding it might not be a bad idea.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site

For all intents and purposes here and most places where this is discussed, zero on the battery gauge is zero usable capacity left, not zero voltage.

It's also still true that a lithium battery doesn't like being above about 75% or lower than about 20-25% on the battery gauge. Going outside that range will greatly increase the internal degradation. That has nothing to do with the charging circuit other than it's up to you to decide if you are willing to sacrifice longevity for extra time between charges.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Eh, lithium batteries don’t have the “memory effect”. Old nickel metal batteries do but not lithium ones.

Don’t let it run down to a very low level as this will reduce the battery’s lifespan.

applezen

Sep 15, 2017
Visit site
http://www.businessinsider.sg/the-best-way-to-charge-your-smartphone-2018-1/amp/

I'm an advocate of charging modern Li-ion batteries as and when you're near to your charger or at your convenience.

I don't leave it plugged to the wall for hours or overnight at all. I am frequently running around with my phone between 30% - 80% all the time. I start my day with whatever available and top up whenever I have the chance or using a power bank during breaks or meals when I'm outside.

Don't sweat about the battery and bring a decent power bank around with you. I still carry a 2 year old 7000 mAh Sony power bank around.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty