Display is not waking for incoming calls

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
I've had my phone (Pixel 2 XL) for just about a week now, I don't recall if this started right away or if it started sometime since. When I have an incoming call the display is not waking to show me who is calling. I do have a Huawei Watch connected but I tried with the watch in airplane mode so it was effectively out of the picture. I can get the display to wake if I push the power button but it seems that's the only way.

Yes, I've rebooted the phone in an attempt to resolve this.

I do not yet have the January patch.

I do not have a screen protector on it, I do have a case on it but I took it off to see if that might have been interfering, it's not.

I am on project Fi if it matters. I actually booted the phone and did a "dummy" config so I could update to 8.1, then wiped it, did the e-SIM config and transferred my stuff from my Nexus 6p using the direct connection between devices that was offered during setup.

Thanks in advance...

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
Me too. This works for now. “uninstall updates “ from the app Play Store Phone app. That worked for me. I have not updated it since and no issues. I’ll wait for the next app update to try again..

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I do have a Huawei Watch connected but I tried with the watch in airplane mode so it was effectively out of the picture.
Perhaps you should try removing that device completely from your phone rather than what you already did. It seems to me like that is somehow involved in your problem.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Perhaps you should try removing that device completely from your phone rather than what you already did. It seems to me like that is somehow involved in your problem.

Actually, this is an interesting thought but I took it a different route. I uninstalled the updates as @dsignori suggested and it seemed to fix it. I reinstalled the updates just to see if that might work, it did. I then realized there was one other difference - I had turned off my bluetooth headset when I returned home. I turned it back on and next test call resulted in a black screen! So, as a final test I connected another headset that can be used for phone calls (my Zolo Liberty+) and that also resulted in a blank screen on an incoming call.

Last test - uninstall the latest updates and try again with the headset connected. Result - I see the incoming call screen.

Bottom line - with a Bluetooth headset connected with the latest version of the dialer installed I do not get an incoming call display.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Strange. I use my car as a Bluetooth 'headset' while driving and I still see the incoming call screen show up. I'll have to try a regular Bluetooth headset and see if there's a difference in behavior.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Follow up to earlier response - this problem just started happening today. The only thing I've done between the time when it was working and now is I enabled the Smart Lock feature (that lets the phone remain unlocked while connected to the car). I'll fiddle with that tomorrow to see if it's the culprit.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Follow up to earlier response - this problem just started happening today. The only thing I've done between the time when it was working and now is I enabled the Smart Lock feature (that lets the phone remain unlocked while connected to the car). I'll fiddle with that tomorrow to see if it's the culprit.

I don't have any SmartLock items set up.

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
I have a Pixel 2 XL 128. I've installed the latest update. I use Google Play Music. I have a Sony HW-1000XM2 noise canceling wireless headset. I use Smart Lock. Everything works perfectly.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Google released an update to the Phone app on January 17. I just installed this update and the initial test indicates it seems to have resolved the issue of the screen not waking with a headset connected.

1901Madison

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
Similar issue to the OP. I do not have Always On active, but I do have ambient display turned on so the phone should light up briefly to tell me of new notifications. It does this for Textra and the calendar app, but not for new emails in the Gmail app. Anyone know why this might be?

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Google released an update to the Phone app on January 17.
For whatever reason that update isn't showing up for me.
a3ab7c6e7f2b31f4f72c764e20ac9d84.jpg

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I do have ambient display turned on so the phone should light up briefly to tell me of new notifications. It does this for Textra and the calendar app, but not for new emails in the Gmail app.
I can't say, but I've had a similar issue with the LED: it blinks when I receive a TM or WhatsApp but it doesn't blink when I receive Gmail.
Perhaps these issues are related?

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
I can't say, but I've had a similar issue with the LED: it blinks when I receive a TM or WhatsApp but it doesn't blink when I receive Gmail.
Perhaps these issues are related?

I doubt it, the "Phone" app wouldn't have anything to do with the LED not blinking for incoming Gmail message.

For whatever reason that update isn't showing up for me

I looked on the Play Store page and saw the update. I just checked my phone, the Play Store page shows the version on my phone as updated January 12.

Screenshot_20180120-160541.jpg

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I looked on the Play Store page and saw the update. I just checked my phone, the Play Store page shows the version on my phone as updated January 12.
Interesting. Do you happen to have the 'mystery software update' that was referenced in another thread? (Does your 'Build number' end in 016 [mystery software update] or 013 [original January update]?)

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Figures - there's a specific blink setting in the Gmail settings. I just enabled it so I'm sure it'll work now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez