01-16-2018 01:37 PM
55 123
tools
    This is embarrassing. I ordered a new Pixel 2 through Amazon and the Pixel 2 I got is locked with a PIN which I obviously don't have. Is there anyway to do a factory reset at this point?

Oh, I bought the "new" Pixel 2 from Mercate Group out of Miami. There phone has been disconnected. I'm in Mexico.
    01-11-2018 05:46 PM
    This is embarrassing. I ordered a new Pixel 2 through Amazon and the Pixel 2 I got is locked with a PIN which I obviously don't have. Is there anyway to do a factory reset at this point?

Oh, I bought the "new" Pixel 2 from Mercate Group out of Miami. There phone has been disconnected. I'm in Mexico.
    I would talk to Amazon
    01-11-2018 05:48 PM
    I would talk with Amazon and have it returned.
    01-11-2018 05:52 PM
    I'm doing that but why would I return it if they're frauds and I won't get any money anyway. I'm "chatting" with Amazon now but all I hope to accomplish is for Amazon to suspend this outfit's sales.

Is there a way to bypass the PIN and to a factory reset on the phone?
    01-11-2018 05:56 PM
    Is there a way to bypass the PIN and to a factory reset on the phone?
    No. Especially if it is a PIN before boot. Even if you could reset the phone it would require the Google account that was previously signed into it.
    01-11-2018 05:59 PM
    It boots and asks for the PIN.
    01-11-2018 06:04 PM
    It's most likely that they sold you a phone that was either returned by someone or stolen from someone, then a factory reset was done wthout properly removing that person's Google account. What you're seeing is Factory Reset Protection, which requires that previous Google account's PIN or password to proceed to the Setup Wizard. (Or, if the seller is completely brazen, it might not even have been wiped -- they might just have packaged up someone's stolen phone.)

You should be able to file a claim with Amazon here: https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...cUvbUpU6133801. The important details to note are that the item was advertised as new, and the fact that it came asking for a PIN clearly shows that it is not new (and that there is strong suspicion that it's stolen). Good luck!
    woodgeek likes this.
    01-11-2018 06:07 PM
    That protection can only be removed by the original owner, and like others said, even if they do give you the PIN, you'll still need their Google Account credentials to access the phone. It's an anti-theft measure, and there's no way around it.

You should return the device to Amazon and/or initiate a Warranty claim. You still get your money back. Here's Amazon Mexico's policy on returns and also a link to their 'Garantía de la A a la Z' in case the original seller doesn't respond to the return claim.

https://www.amazon.com.mx/gp/help/cu...deId=200572800
    01-11-2018 06:07 PM
    It boots and asks for the PIN.
    Yeah you can't get by it. Even if you factory reset it the phone will demand the previous Google Account signed in. You will be at something asking for a password versus just a PIn.
    woodgeek likes this.
    01-11-2018 06:16 PM
    Thank you all. I suspect I'm screwed.
    01-11-2018 06:18 PM
    Especially if it is a PIN before boot.
    Is this still a Pixel 2 feature? I used this feature on my 6P but cannot find a way to enable PIN before boot on the P2.
    01-11-2018 06:28 PM
    You're not screwed if you bought it from Amazon.
    Amazon will take the phone back and refund your money!
    01-11-2018 06:29 PM
    I would talk with Amazon and have it returned.
    Nope, amazon will side with you the buyer
    This
    TwitchyPuppy and woodgeek like this.
    01-11-2018 06:37 PM
    Why would you be screwed? Amazon has a great return policy.
    woodgeek likes this.
    01-11-2018 07:15 PM

Have you called them? It was most likely an accident.
    01-11-2018 07:47 PM
    Is this still a Pixel 2 feature? I used this feature on my 6P but cannot find a way to enable PIN before boot on the P2.
    I could lock my SIM on my Pixel and that number had to be inserted before the phone would finish booting.
    01-11-2018 09:27 PM
    I bought it from the Mercate Group through Amazon. I talked to Amazon and made arrangements to send the phone back. My concern is that it goes back to the Mercate Group so who know what they will claim I did to the phone. There is no way possible this could have been an accident on the part of the Mercate Group so they are crooks.

If Amazon does return the purchase price I'm still screwed but not so bad. I'll be out the $60 or so shipping to get it here, the $150 or so in taxes at the border, and another $60 or so to ship it to Miami. That's not as bad as $100 but I'm still screwed.

The actual reputable companies that sell the phones don't ship to Mexico. I have bought over the years two Pixels and one Nexus 5x through dealers on Amazon and I guess I got too relaxed.
    01-11-2018 09:31 PM
    How do you accidentally sell a camera that is at least not new and is possibly stolen when you advertise a new Pixel 2.
    Tim1954 likes this.
    01-11-2018 09:36 PM
    I bought it from the Mercate Group through Amazon. I talked to Amazon and made arrangements to send the phone back. My concern is that it goes back to the Mercate Group so who know what they will claim I did to the phone. There is no way possible this could have been an accident on the part of the Mercate Group so they are crooks.

If Amazon does return the purchase price I'm still screwed but not so bad. I'll be out the $60 or so shipping to get it here, the $150 or so in taxes at the border, and another $60 or so to ship it to Miami. That's not as bad as $100 but I'm still screwed.

The actual reputable companies that sell the phones don't ship to Mexico. I have bought over the years two Pixels and one Nexus 5x through dealers on Amazon and I guess I got too relaxed.
    Take photos and videos of EVERYTHING, send them to amazon when you ship out the box. A video of you taking your sim out, putting the phone back in the box, and shipping it off. More than likely amazon will side with you over them
    libra89 likes this.
    01-11-2018 09:53 PM
    This! ^^^^^

Contact Amazon. I bet you will get a good result. I remember years ago I bought a digital movie by accident. The policy clearly states it's not refundable. I explained what happened in an email and they basically told me that they understood my situation and they still refunded my money.

Not the same thing I know, but my point is that if they would refund my money, clearly not having to, they will back you up if you explain because your situation is totally within Amazon's policy to correct.

Flicked via the BlackBerry keyboard on my Pixel 2
    01-11-2018 11:50 PM
    I could lock my SIM on my Pixel and that number had to be inserted before the phone would finish booting.
    That's a SIM lock though, it's stored on the SIM and not on the phone. So you can just swap out SIMs and you won't have to enter that number again. It's mostly a safeguard that would prevent other people from using your SIM card on another device. I use that already after learning a valuable lesson when I had a phone stolen off me.
    01-12-2018 01:01 AM
    Can I just ask why you bought the phone from them? Why not buy it from Google themselves? By the time you add in the hassle and extra shipping costs it's probably not any cheaper than new from Google.
    01-12-2018 07:14 AM
    I believe that Amazon will make it right.
    01-12-2018 09:58 AM
    Can I just ask why you bought the phone from them? Why not buy it from Google themselves? By the time you add in the hassle and extra shipping costs it's probably not any cheaper than new from Google.
    Certainly, you can ask. It's because I live in Mexico. Google won't sell to Mexico. If you look at Amazon the Pixels sold by Amazon will say, if you have an address in Mexico, "does not ship to Mexico." That's why I bought two Pixels and a Nexus 5x from the "sellers". Those three were fine, other than the power adapter on the two Pixels being for Dubai. This time, I got screwed.

I do appreciate the suggestion to make a video. I'm looking for someone now to do my "documentary" of reenacting the grand opening and discovering the lock screen demanding a PIN.
    01-12-2018 10:09 AM
    Amazon IS making good to the best of their ability. @ptkelly gets screwed because he bought from an Amazon other than his home Amazon, and used a shipping forwarding company. While there IS an Amazon in Mexico, the prices might not have been as good, OR that product might not have been for sale there.

I can assure you also that Amazon WILL investigate the seller and will consider removing them IF they find they are selling stolen goods. They won't necessary report back to you on it, AND it COULD have been an honest mistake/or just poor business practice (selling returned phones and not wiping correctly).
    01-12-2018 10:21 AM
55 123