Phone purchased from Amazon wasn't properly reset, is that fraud?

anon(10274434)

Jul 10, 2017
Visit site
Thanks for the Like.

And, speaking of magnifying glasses, I really like this app and use it at least a few times per month for all sorts of tasks: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.app2u.magnifierpro

There is a free, ad-supported version available also, as well as a large number of similar apps. In my opinion, everyone should have such an app loaded on their smartphone; you never know when it will come in handy!

Got it - thanks - very handy.

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
I've been an Amazon customer since 2000. Today I have Amazon Prime. I've had very few problems and every problem I've ever had has been resolved to my full satisfaction. When I'm shopping on Amazon, I simply put a check in the box for "Amazon Prime Only" search results. That eliminates any problem sellers.

ptkelly

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
UPDATE:
I was preparing to send the phone back to the seller and Amazon was incredibly helpful. I would get a refund of the purchase price. That would still leave shipping and taxes.

The first person I dealt with on Firday and Saturday would only say that the phone was brand new and I would respond that brand new phones don't come with lock screens needing a PIN.

Monday a different person from the company contacted me and said that he was mystified. He's seen the pictures I'd sent at their request of the lock screen. He said he was sure the camera was brand new, the box had never been open, and he couldn't explain the lock screen.

He recommended I do a factory reset. I was doubtful but I did it. The factory reset led to the initial setup procedure which I followed and the phone is working fine now. The lock screen had not been set by a previous user and the gentleman from the company still doesn't know what happened.

I used the IMEI checker posted early and it showed the IMEI number as "clean".

So, I've got my phone, it's working fine, and I'm happy. I removed my emotional and negative seller feedback from the Amazon site.

I appreciate the helpful responses on this site. Thank you.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
UPDATE:
I was preparing to send the phone back to the seller and Amazon was incredibly helpful. I would get a refund of the purchase price. That would still leave shipping and taxes.

The first person I dealt with on Firday and Saturday would only say that the phone was brand new and I would respond that brand new phones don't come with lock screens needing a PIN.

Monday a different person from the company contacted me and said that he was mystified. He's seen the pictures I'd sent at their request of the lock screen. He said he was sure the camera was brand new, the box had never been open, and he couldn't explain the lock screen.

He recommended I do a factory reset. I was doubtful but I did it. The factory reset led to the initial setup procedure which I followed and the phone is working fine now. The lock screen had not been set by a previous user and the gentleman from the company still doesn't know what happened.

So, I've got my phone, it's working fine, and I'm happy. I removed my emotional and negative seller feedback from the Amazon site.

A happy ending!

Thanks for the update. Enjoy your new Pixel - it is a great phone.

anon(10274434)

Jul 10, 2017
Visit site
UPDATE:

Never underestimate the power of an electronic device to mess with a human device.

andrew_ackley

Jul 10, 2013
Visit site
UPDATE:

It is possible that someone from the factory used it and played around with it and didn't reset it properly. Was the box sealed when you got it? My new one I got direct from Google wasn't even sealed. I suspect that Google is doing some additional qc on these before they leave the warehouse. I bet that's where the snaffu happened. Glad you got it worked out.

Zendroid1

Trusted Member
Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
If I recall, mine directly from Google was sealed by just a sticker that you could easily undo and redo to make it look unopened.