Project Fi

anon(8312128)

Dec 4, 2013
Visit site
Greetings,

Ok, so - just signed up for Project Fi and ordered a Pixel 2 XL. Please put my mind at ease and tell me I made a good decision.

I made the mistake of reading a bunch of posts on Project Fi's Facebook page (which I'm not even sure if that's an official page or not) and there's nothing but horrible stories and comments - yikes. People crucifying the customer service (or supposed lack thereof), and the overall experience in general. I'd like to think that these are just your typical trolls and people that are never happy with anything, but I'm not sure.

I haven't read anything horrifying here on AC, but then again I haven't read a ton of posts, either. I realize there will always be some horror stories no matter what it is ... but please, for the love of whatever, tell me I made a good choice here!

Thanks

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Keep in mind - people typically only take to the internet to complain. I'm on Fi, I don't have many complaints and my few interactions over the 2 years I've been on the service have been good (including getting response on a US Federal holiday). Here's the great thing about Fi - if you decide you don't like it, you can cancel ANY TIME.

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
I've had my Pixel 2 XL 128 since launch and we went with Google Fi at the same time. My wife, who couldn't care less about phones, is using my old Nexus 6 on Fi and is quite pleased with it.

I've found Google Fi support to be superb and available 24/7. You shouldn't find any problems with support.

We came from Sprint where our monthly cost for the two of us averaged about $125. Our Google Fi cost so far is averaging about $40. The phone service has been superb and we are more than pleased with everything about Google Fi.

anon(8312128)

Dec 4, 2013
Visit site
Keep in mind - people typically only take to the internet to complain. I'm on Fi, I don't have many complaints and my few interactions over the 2 years I've been on the service have been good (including getting response on a US Federal holiday). Here's the great thing about Fi - if you decide you don't like it, you can cancel ANY TIME.

Great, thank you. Yes, it's definitely nice to know that you're not in a contract of any kind, although, it would seem like it would be a nightmare to port back into your original carrier if you did change your mind. Hopefully you CAN port back in ... ?

anon(8312128)

Dec 4, 2013
Visit site
I've had my Pixel 2 XL 128 since launch and we went with Google Fi at the same time. My wife, who couldn't care less about phones, is using my old Nexus 6 on Fi and is quite pleased with it.

I've found Google Fi support to be superb and available 24/7. You shouldn't find any problems with support.

We came from Sprint where our monthly cost for the two of us averaged about $125. Our Google Fi cost so far is averaging about $40. The phone service has been superb and we are more than pleased with everything about Google Fi.

Great, thanks Gary. It was more the Customer Service/support aspect that had me worried. Google is such a huge company, you'd think the support might be a nightmare. Nice to know that you've had a good experience, though!

I'm really looking forward to this. Hopefully it turns out to be as great as it sounds! The concept really sold me - and it's cheaper than what I pay at T-Mobile ($70/month for unlimited everything). I'm not worried about not having unlimited data ... I barely use 2GB per month anyway because I'm usually on WiFi.

Looking forward to the pure Android experience with zero bloatware ... should've just went with the Pixel 2 originally instead of buying a Samsung S8.

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
Our January cost should be around $38 for the two of us as I've now totally turned off cellular data. The whole secret of making Fi a really good deal is to limit your use of cellular data. For Kate and me that's really easy as we both work from home and are on WiFi the entire day. Whenever we go out, whether to dinner, the mall, or just about anywhere these days, there is plenty of WiFi available. So we really have no need to pay for cellular data.

Of course cellular for phone is always still there with no additional cost on Fi.

anon(10274434)

Jul 10, 2017
Visit site
Signed up to Project Fi a couple of months ago - no regrets. I use little, or no, cellular data, home on wifi most of the time. Verizon bill had been $52, this month's Fi bill id $26.45.

I see no difference in the phone call quality. As far as Customer service, no issues for me.

wrecklass

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Been using Fi since it came along originally with the Nexus 6P. I'm on Pixel 2XL and have converted all of my family. Because I have great WiFi at home and at work my bill has gone way down from the old Sprint where I had unlimited data but never used it.

I recommend Fi to just about everyone I meet unless they do a lot of traveling and need unlimited data without regular WiFi connectivity.

anon(8312128)

Dec 4, 2013
Visit site
Signed up to Project Fi a couple of months ago - no regrets. I use little, or no, cellular data, home on wifi most of the time. Verizon bill had been $52, this month's Fi bill id $26.45.

I see no difference in the phone call quality. As far as Customer service, no issues for me.

Great - thank you

anon(8312128)

Dec 4, 2013
Visit site
Been using Fi since it came along originally with the Nexus 6P. I'm on Pixel 2XL and have converted all of my family. Because I have great WiFi at home and at work my bill has gone way down from the old Sprint where I had unlimited data but never used it.

I recommend Fi to just about everyone I meet unless they do a lot of traveling and need unlimited data without regular WiFi connectivity.

Awesome, thanks!

raqball

Trusted Member
Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
I've been using Fi for a few years now and it's great! No complaints from me whatsoever! I am a light data user (I'm almost always on WiFi) and my bill is generally about $24-$27 a month..

I've been using the Pixel 2 (non XL) on Fi for about 3 or 4 months now and am happy with the performance.

paradroid

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
I am on Fi for 3 months now and my bill has been about $25 per month. It would have been lower but at a small drink fest at a buddies house I played one of my Pandora channels on his bluetooth speak for about 3 hours.. Did not think about asking for his wifi password and used almost a gig of data that day.

I have not used Fi on any road trips yet.t. I was up north Michigan on T-Mobile twice last summer and could not get data signal. So I am curious how Fi will do. I think part of my T-Mobile problem was I switched to it from a ATT Note 5 and maybe did not have full ability to tap into their full spectrum. No way could they be that bad.

jmhx24

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
Switched to Google fi from Sprint four months ago. I had a employee family account at Sprint and I am saving $15 per month. I have not needed customer support for anything I could not do myself from the web site. Since it bounces between three carriers I have not experienced anything less than excellent LTE, no matter where I have traveled. My only fear is Google up and decides certain services are no longer core and I will be forced to go back with a cell company. Good luck, I hope it turns out as good for you as it did for me.

Greg Tardif

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site
I have been on project fi since almost day one of its development. I will say this, it is great. I was over in europe last month and didn't have to worry about not having service. I have not had many issues with the service, but able to chat with support on my phone is awesome, can even online chat with them on the computer. I do like my Pixel XL but, back in the day when I had another carrier I enjoyed switching phones to see what is what. I can do it with fi but don't get the coverage that I get on my Pixel.

anon(8087042)

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
I started on PFi when the 5X and 6P came out and was very pleased with it and the price. It really works well as does the customer service and pricing; you do get refunds for data not used!!! Gave the 6P away (to big) and it's still on PFi and performing very well. Kept the 5X but it's not in use (slow performer). Sprint (Virgin, Boost) have very low signal in my area, T-Mobile is outstanding and well you have to like their phones (all important factors considered, battery life ,size, and materials)... More importantly you have to take into account Android updates which I believe are guaranteed for three years? Since the 6P was launched 9/25/15 and doesn't show signs of giving up and Google has "EXTENDED" security updates to November 2018; this phone and the 5X will be obsolete? vs. iOS updates in comparison the iPhone 4 launched June 2010 and recently got stuck with iOS and that's approximately double the update time frame and double the secure use of your cell phone. Not entirely a guarantee because as any OS advances the phones hardware may be left behind so the iOS or Android phone you have now may be incompatible with new OS's within 2-3 years? More importantly if you're not considering the implementation of 5G and plan to purchase a +$700 phone without the capability of using the 5G technology then you may be wasting your money unless you really need a new phone....The 5G technology still hasn't gone mainstream and is still being tested so taking a chance on purchasing a 5G capable phone now is taking a huge chance; "for what that's worth". Google Fi is outstanding!

Codegk81

Oct 30, 2016
Visit site
I joined Fi with the release of the Pixel, and I have had great service and low bills. I realized that I really don't use data when I am off wifi, so I just turn my data off and carry on with my day. The absence of a contract is great because I can leave, but I don't see any reason to.

MarkMcCoskey

Jan 7, 2010
Visit site
Enjoyed my time on Fi. We used 2 Moto Nexus 6's and about 0.5 Gb of data for a monthly cost of $45. But we recently switched to T-Mobile's One Unlimited 55+ for a flat $60 per month. No more sipping or turning off data. Best plan out there for us.

jsarino

VR Expert
Trusted Member
Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
I posted this in the AC comment section, but I'll repeat it here. Fi has worked pretty good for me for the year I've had it, but what made it even better than your average carrier when traveling overseas. Data is treated the same even when outside of the country, no hidden or extra cost that I saw. I can't count the number of times it's saved my butt, from using Google Maps (using both offline and online maps), using WhatsApp, Hangouts or any other SMS to communicate, doing any work back in the US on the fly, and connecting easily in wifi locations that are considered "safe". Calls overseas are only 20 cents/minute, which isn't bad to me. It was more reliable than the local SIM's my father- and mother-in-law rely on. I'm through almost 4 weeks across three countries, and it didn't let me down. My only wish is Google made a higher base tier, where $30 can get you 2 GB instead of 1.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87