Pixel 2 XL vs S9/9+: Double Standard?

Nubwy

Aug 1, 2016
Visit site
With the launch of the latest Samsung handset, there seems to be a growing number of complaints about black crush and color banding on the S9/9+ displays. Many users have reported seeing issues and some have even sent their units in for repair or replacement.

My question is where are the reports of display issues? Why did this become a huge issue for the 2XL but it's thus far mum for the S9/9+?

Do you guys and gals feel like there's a little bit of a bias toward either company and is it possible or negative in coverage?

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
With the launch of the latest Samsung handset, there seems to be a growing number of complaints about black crush and color banding on the S9/9+ displays. Many users have reported seeing issues and some have even sent their units in for repair or replacement.

My question is where are the reports of display issues? Why did this become a huge issue for the 2XL but it's thus far mum for the S9/9+?

Do you guys and gals feel like there's a little bit of a bias toward either company and is it possible or negative in coverage?

Links to these reports would be helpful.

Itsa_Me_Mario

¯\_(o_o)_/¯
Feb 19, 2018
Visit site
Yeah some of those photos look really bad. But, just like with the P2XL displays, it's likely it's a dud, rather than it being a widespread issue that impacts a significant portion of all devices. The P2XL only went sensational because Ron @ ARS said it and a whole bunch of blogs rushed to capitalize on the sensationalism, rather than reported the facts - which, in general, was that their own review units did not have any of the issues that the internet trolls were going on about.

sixty_four

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site

I would say no bias at this point without more information: How many units sold vs confirmed defects? Time elapsed between 2XL release and mainstream coverage of display issues? It might be too early to tell. Maybe the media will make something out of it, maybe not.

Samsung got a pretty huge black eye with the Note 7's exploding battery but Google seemed to fly under the radar with the Nexus 6P's early shutdown/battery lifespan problems.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I would say no bias at this point without more information: How many units sold vs confirmed defects? Time elapsed between 2XL release and mainstream coverage of display issues? It might be too early to tell. Maybe the media will make something out of it, maybe not.

Samsung got a pretty huge black eye with the Note 7's exploding battery but Google seemed to fly under the radar with the Nexus 6P's early shutdown/battery lifespan problems.
I would think an exploding battery would deserve more attention

Nubwy

Aug 1, 2016
Visit site
Some interesting takes. Although I don't think a public safety hazard is the same league as a blue shift on an OLED panel, I agree that there wasn't as much coverage on the Pixel 2 XL. Either way, it remains to be seen if the S9 display issue is as widespread and if it is, will it be software or hardware related fix wise.

I personally tend to see more Samsung bias whenever phones are generally reviewed en masse. Quality wise, I've had issues with red coloration (S8), and I got a crack in the back glass due to some unknown reason, even though my phone never left it's case and I did not drop it more than a half foot at any point in it's life (Note 8). Plus my Note 8 had a badly glued screen with severe light leak at the frame. No phone is blemish free generally but these are pretty obvious QC issues I don't have with my Pixel nor did I have with my iPhone 6S, 7 or 7 Plus.

Wonder why we see more hits on the likes of Google, HTC and LG for bad QC but I see less on Samsung. Might be anecdotal maybe?

sixty_four

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
Wonder why we see more hits on the likes of Google, HTC and LG for bad QC but I see less on Samsung. Might be anecdotal maybe?

Yeah, it is hard to say. Maybe anecdotal or just your personal filter kicking in. Then again, Samsung does get dinged pretty hard for the software experience it delivers on its devices. Oh wait, that's justified ;)

Nubwy

Aug 1, 2016
Visit site
Yeah, it is hard to say. Maybe anecdotal or just your personal filter kicking in. Then again, Samsung does get dinged pretty hard for the software experience it delivers on its devices. Oh wait, that's justified ;)

Yeah, I'll come out and be the first to say I've had a few Samsung's over the last few years and I wasn't a fan. The Note 8 came close but it had faults also as I stated. But as far as picking a phone up, powering it on and using it, I have never had any issues with any of my iPhones and so far my Pixel 2.

Did the smaller Pixel 2 have any display issues?

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, I'll come out and be the first to say I've had a few Samsung's over the last few years and I wasn't a fan. The Note 8 came close but it had faults also as I stated. But as far as picking a phone up, powering it on and using it, I have never had any issues with any of my iPhones and so far my Pixel 2.

Did the smaller Pixel 2 have any display issues?

Nope. I wonder why? ; )

Oh the irony lol

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
I think it's similar to the Pixel 2 XL. As in that it is related to batch.

I personally think the screen issue, while definitely disconcerting on an expensive phone, was a little overblown. It wasn't really a systematic fault with the display itself but moreso to do with inconsistent quality assurance depending on the batch. That's why some 2 XLs have screens that shift blue extremely early on while others barely shift at all.

I think we're seeing the same with Samsung as well. Given how often the 2 XL was mocked for using an LG display, I guess this shows that even the largest manufacturer of OLED panels and one with years of experience doesn't get away without having issues. My Note8 has a slight red shift off axis but I haven't heard of anyone else seeing it.

anon(1733)

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
The difference is the sammy trolls come out in droves on every forum and outlet where they can spew their liberal sammy loving ways.

Where as most Pixel users are sane objective people and don't go posting all over sammy forums, but rather just let them wallow in their sammy filth.
Actually go look around. There's plenty of pixel owners on every forum who get all defensive over the camera. They're everywhere. I see them on most all the flagship forums here ready to defend the pixel camera or the stock software and quick updates and such. There's people like that on every forum for every device. Dont be blind. It's just people get passionate about the devices and want to proclaim theirs is the best. No harm. But to claim that pixel owners dont do that is laughable. I personally dont feel the need to defend a device. I dont keep them long enough to even form a bond with lol. I normally keep a phone a few weeks to a month before I get something else.

Itsa_Me_Mario

¯\_(o_o)_/¯
Feb 19, 2018
Visit site
Also important to add that Samsung is selling at least 5 times as many units. If they have 10 people with display issues, that's a smaller percentage of the population with issues than if 10 pixels had display issues. Then selection bias must be looked at. People often come to forums to complain, but not many people create an account in order to praise their device. So seeing some complaining isn't alarming, just like it wasn't with the P2XL. Both devices are by and large totally fine with a few exceptions.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Also, I'd believe more Pixel owners are critical of their devices.

Also, a large part of Samsung users are similar to iPhone users who don't care much apart from its a Samsung and its what they know and have no real frame of reference.

anon(10092459)

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
Also important to add that Samsung is selling at least 5 times as many units. If they have 10 people with display issues, that's a smaller percentage of the population with issues than if 10 pixels had display issues. Then selection bias must be looked at. People often come to forums to complain, but not many people create an account in order to praise their device. So seeing some complaining isn't alarming, just like it wasn't with the P2XL. Both devices are by and large totally fine with a few exceptions.

I agree with this is some sense. As a percentage, you're probably spot one regarding the amount of complaints and/or coverage. But the other side of that coin rings true as well. The Pixel brand, particularly P2, is such a small percentage of the overall market and yet for at least two months straight the tech press community seemed hypercritical of the device's display missteps.

I mean estimates at 4 million devices in 2017, including P1 & P2. Does that amount really command the amount hypercritical coverage that device received at launch?

I won't go as far to say the press is biased or turns a blind eye, but it does make one wonder...

Nubwy

Aug 1, 2016
Visit site
That's a fair point actually, well said. If the Pixel 2 XL is a small segment compared to Samsung, then I think it's fair to say it got a larger than realistic share of the coverage for a handful of units, which to me begs the question why? Is it media Being media or is the media quick to hammer Google now that it's a direct competitor to Samsung?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty