Pixel 2 XL vs S9 hands on at Best buy

Theot

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
So I’ve been going back and forth a lot on getting the S9+ vs the Pixel 2 XL. There’s things I like on both devices so I went to best buy today and played with both for quite a while. Here are my takeaways and some of this is all the obvious stuff but I need to put this all down to get it out and sort out a decision here.

My hesitation with the S9+ is the software, I’ve had a few Samsung devices, there’s always apps and services running in the background I’m not using that I don’t want that I can’t get rid of that seem to cause lag and eat the battery. This was a constant battle on my S7 and part of why I switched to the G6. But that hardware………is hard to beat. The screen is stunning, it has a headphone jack, wireless charging, expandable storage, water resistant, and the big one, great camera.

While I’m talking about it, I was very impressed with the camera. There was a big 3’x3’ “S9” sign in the Samsung area that is lit up and very bright. My G6 when pointed at that would darken everything around it in the picture. Not the S9+, it looked just like I was looking at it and you could see everything like it was your naked eye looking at the pic. I pointed both at a darker area and the S9+ blew my G6 away with how much light was there. Again just like your eye sees. Focus, speed, all great. It’s a very very nice camera.

The Pixel 2XL, the camera is really good, I think the S9+ was a little sharper and had much more natural colors. The Pixel 2XL took nice pictures but the colors were much richer than it was in real life, it made the nasty beat down brown carpet look like new in the pics. Lighting was very good, maybe not as good as the S9+ though. Again, it does a very nice job but I think I prefer the S9+ camera.

As we all know the great thing about the Pixel phones is the software. 35 apps running, that’s it (I didn’t bother trying to count on the S9+, there was a lot). Obviously updates all the time, fast, smooth software. The screen is mostly flat except the very edge making it easier to protect and on that note the screen looked perfectly fine on the demo unit.

I briefly had a Google experience with a Galaxy Nexus on Verizon so it was tainted. After that the closest I've had is AOSP ROMs on my Note 2 and a Moto G4 last year. Honestly, the G4 was really solid and even at 2GB of ram I had no issues. My kid has it now. Other than no quick toggle for volume/vibrate/silence and no battery percentage in the status bar, I liked the software and it continues to run well.

I know what I'll get with Samsung on the S9/S9+, I'll disable as much as I can and ignore the rest, put Nova on it, and love and hate it all at the same time, do a factory reset every two months and be looking to change phones as soon as I can. Or I could get a pixel 2, which is a little cheaper, runs the latest software, has a great camera and should have no issues for a long time. I'm torn, but leaning pixel 2.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
So I’ve been going back and forth a lot on getting the S9+ vs the Pixel 2 XL. There’s things I like on both devices so I went to best buy today and played with both for quite a while. Here are my takeaways and some of this is all the obvious stuff but I need to put this all down to get it out and sort out a decision here.

My hesitation with the S9+ is the software, I’ve had a few Samsung devices, there’s always apps and services running in the background I’m not using that I don’t want that I can’t get rid of that seem to cause lag and eat the battery. This was a constant battle on my S7 and part of why I switched to the G6. But that hardware………is hard to beat. The screen is stunning, it has a headphone jack, wireless charging, expandable storage, water resistant, and the big one, great camera.

While I’m talking about it, I was very impressed with the camera. There was a big 3’x3’ “S9” sign in the Samsung area that is lit up and very bright. My G6 when pointed at that would darken everything around it in the picture. Not the S9+, it looked just like I was looking at it and you could see everything like it was your naked eye looking at the pic. I pointed both at a darker area and the S9+ blew my G6 away with how much light was there. Again just like your eye sees. Focus, speed, all great. It’s a very very nice camera.

The Pixel 2XL, the camera is really good, I think the S9+ was a little sharper and had much more natural colors. The Pixel 2XL took nice pictures but the colors were much richer than it was in real life, it made the nasty beat down brown carpet look like new in the pics. Lighting was very good, maybe not as good as the S9+ though. Again, it does a very nice job but I think I prefer the S9+ camera.

As we all know the great thing about the Pixel phones is the software. 35 apps running, that’s it (I didn’t bother trying to count on the S9+, there was a lot). Obviously updates all the time, fast, smooth software. The screen is mostly flat except the very edge making it easier to protect and on that note the screen looked perfectly fine on the demo unit.

I briefly had a Google experience with a Galaxy Nexus on Verizon so it was tainted. After that the closest I've had is AOSP ROMs on my Note 2 and a Moto G4 last year. Honestly, the G4 was really solid and even at 2GB of ram I had no issues. My kid has it now. Other than no quick toggle for volume/vibrate/silence and no battery percentage in the status bar, I liked the software and it continues to run well.

I know what I'll get with Samsung on the S9/S9+, I'll disable as much as I can and ignore the rest, put Nova on it, and love and hate it all at the same time, do a factory reset every two months and be looking to change phones as soon as I can. Or I could get a pixel 2, which is a little cheaper, runs the latest software, has a great camera and should have no issues for a long time. I'm torn, but leaning pixel 2.
I've found that indoors especially with florescent light it's best to use manual white balance to get more accurate colors.

Lepa79

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
Samsung came a long way from S7 days. I had S7 Edge and that thing was lag city. Got s8 Plus and OMG was buttery smooth. Used it for 6 months and ZERO issues and as fast as day one.

I switched to Note 8 when it came out and WOW, even better. Love the phone and been using it for 5 months. Fast, smooth and fluid. I expect s9 plus to be even better.

Don't be hesitant to pick either. Both great phones and each has it's unique advantages. While I have both Note 8 and Pixel 2 XL. I would probably choose S9 Plus if I were in your shoes.

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
Consider the immediate Security and Operating System updates for the Google Pixel vs the months long lag for Samsung.

Larzuk

Nov 2, 2014
Visit site
For the longest time I was Samsung's biggest fan, Having bought every iteration of the S and Note Series for years. The ridiculously long wait times before OS and security updates rolled out really drove me crazy but I couldn't do anything about it. As far back as I could remember I was all about the latest design, sleek looking, Amazing hardware in CPU, memory, storage, 3.5mm Jack, wireless charging and water resistance, etc. Then the pixel line came out and changed my perspective on what's important. I love the latest features and looks with new OS updates. The hardware is still top notch, camera is top of the line and it operates unbelievably smooth. Android P is looking to be gorgeous and I love the fact i know im assured to get it first the second it drops. While my Note 8 was a great phone, I would kick myself if I had to wait 6 to 9 months for an OS update. Everyone is different, What works for me may not for you or the next person, But I can say the Pixel Line permanently changed what I thought was most important to me in a phone. Like someone put it best in an article not long ago...I found my iPhone..

ulnek

Dec 22, 2009
Visit site
i was leaning toward the pixel 2 xl as well then i found out that i can't use micro sd cards. i already use 128 gb card on my g6 plus internal storage is full so a 128 gb pixel 2 xl will not meet my storage needs. :(

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
. Again, it does a very nice job but I think I prefer the S9+ camera.

It's still early, but the near universal opinion from reviews is that the S9's camera might have more features, but it's quality doesn't touch the Pixel 2's.

Never judge a phone's camera by how they pics look on the phone... That sharp, crisp and clear picture you see in the display may turn into an over-processed mess when you check it on a computer. This is intentional, of course, and some OEMs (including LG and Samsung by the way) purposefully overcook photos to make them look better when viewed in a phone or a small image posted to social media.

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
that would be great if my storage was full of pictures. i use it to store music so i always have all of it with me with or without internet connection.

I did that too and then I got my Google Play Music subscription. Now my music collection is infinitely larger than any storage I could buy. And Google Play Music now includes YouTube Red. I can't remember the last time I didn't have an Internet connection. I do store locally my most loved music though, just in case. I have a Pixel 2 XL 128 and I'm amazed that I have more than half of it empty.

Theot

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
It's still early, but the near universal opinion from reviews is that the S9's camera might have more features, but it's quality doesn't touch the Pixel 2's.

Never judge a phone's camera by how they pics look on the phone... That sharp, crisp and clear picture you see in the display may turn into an over-processed mess when you check it on a computer. This is intentional, of course, and some OEMs (including LG and Samsung by the way) purposefully overcook photos to make them look better when viewed in a phone or a small image posted to social media.
Yeah that's a good point, and I do get that now on my G6, the pics look great until you zoom in so I try not to lol.
OP, your last paragraph literally is your answer ;)
Lol, I think I know it, that S9 is really nice looking is all.
Was the demo Pixel screen set on saturated?
Crap, I forgot to check. Thinking about it now it seems likely the way things looked on it.

Theot

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
I did that too and then I got my Google Play Music subscription. Now my music collection is infinitely larger than any storage I could buy. And Google Play Music now includes YouTube Red. I can't remember the last time I didn't have an Internet connection. I do store locally my most loved music though, just in case. I have a Pixel 2 XL 128 and I'm amazed that I have more than half of it empty.
I do the same thing with Spotify. Unless you are running crazy high fidelity FLAC files which IMHO is a waste on anything without a quad DAC Spotify and/or GPM work well and sound great. I do download a few of my playlists for offline just in case but 1000 songs takes up less than 10GB. Between music, Google photos and apps I am only using 20GB most of the time and once photos backs up stuff I can always clear space. I figure if I do go with a Pixel 2, 64GB should be plenty for me.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
It will be very hard to get away from that Samsung skin and OS... Even if you slap on a new launcher. It sounds like you're sold on Samsung hardware and also on Pixel 2 software. If only the two could combine, yes? I suppose it will come down to which one you know you couldn't live without - Samsung hardware (camera as well) vs Pixel 2 software.

TheDonJ77

May 13, 2011
Visit site
I just jumped from a note 8 to the pixel 2 XL and I couldn’t be happier. While the look/design of the 9+ is more appealing, I looked beyond the surface. I played around with one yesterday and while a beautiful phone, walked away still loving my XL.

The pixel camera overall holds its own and takes amazing pics, the form factor is easier to hold in hand and I couldn’t deal with the multiple Samsung apps that I didn’t use and couldn’t get rid of.

Then comes the OS/Security update issue. With the note I sold a few days ago I believe I was still on the December security patch with “talk” of Oreo possibly hitting in April, April!!??!! When Samsung did push security updates I would get December’s update on December 30, not the beginning of the month, and I had the factory unlocked version.

While Samsung makes beautiful devices, I prefer everything google brings to the table with camera, form factor, speed, fluidity and latest updates (OS/Security). Hope this helps with your decision.

jtcannonball

Trusted Member
Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
I have been reading and watching a lot of content about the S9\S9+ and ultimately the hardware won out. I always switch the stock launcher anyway and honestly Nova themes out to the point I can’t tell if I’m on M, N, O or P. With the camera improvements it will do what I want and if I need to make adjustments I can shoot in pro mode or pull the pics up on my computer and edit them. I loved the Pixel 2 XL camera but I never liked the lack of wireless charging and the form factor. When the Pixel 3 XL is released I’ll give the S9+ to my wife and upgrade.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
I have been reading and watching a lot of content about the S9\S9+ and ultimately the hardware won out. I always switch the stock launcher anyway and honestly Nova themes out to the point I can’t tell if I’m on M, N, O or P. With the camera improvements it will do what I want and if I need to make adjustments I can shoot in pro mode or pull the pics up on my computer and edit them. I loved the Pixel 2 XL camera but I never liked the lack of wireless charging and the form factor. When the Pixel 3 XL is released I’ll give the S9+ to my wife and upgrade.

I agree with everything you posted. I really liked my Pixel 2XL, and can see why people love it...but mine went back today. Why? Hardware. Not Samsung’s in this case, but Apple’s. The iPhone X (notch and all) has it all really. Fast performance, updates AND top of the line hardware. The S9 looks great too, but I’ll wait until they really step it up next time out.

As for the OP, I think you would be happier with the Pixel 2. Everyone’s needs and wants are different.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ife45201