Pixel 2 XL vs S9 hands on at Best buy

Theot

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Small observation... I've thing that I've grown very tired of is frame drops. These are those little stutters and jumps that occur when the UI can't render the screen properly during things like transitions and scrolling and often has little to do with performance and all to do with software optimization.

Since the Nexus 5, Google's phones have been asking the best, if not the best, at reducing frame drops year after year.... And even with the massive power of the SD845, the S9 still appears to be pretty poor at reducing them.

I've become very sensitive to them and when the do occur and occur often, they get on my nerves. It's just a sign of sloppy or indifferent coding and should not be happening this day and age.
I agree, that's what I want. Good software.

I've made up my mind. I'm getting a pixel 2 this week. Just not sure if I want to spring for the XL. $200 is a big difference up front and it seems like the smaller one will be easier to handle.

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
I agree, that's what I want. Good software.

I've made up my mind. I'm getting a pixel 2 this week. Just not sure if I want to spring for the XL. $200 is a big difference up front and it seems like the smaller one will be easier to handle.

Go to Best Buy or Verizon and look at the two. It should be easy to make a size decision when actually comparing them. The choice was easy for me as my Pixel 2 XL is primarily a pocket computer that just happens to have a phone in it! :)

goji26

Mar 10, 2018
Visit site
Google is running a $200 statement credit if you finance the phone. They're also throwing in a charger with the deal.

Rugbylad2801

Jul 13, 2013
Visit site
I've had the google pixel 2 CL for around 3 weeks now and i love it. Its a great phone , the battery life is insane, i get a full day from 6am - 23:30 (with around 20% still remaining) on heavy usage.

The size is perfect for both texting, viewing images, browsing as well as playing games.

Only downside ive seen so far on the phone is the casting feature, you can screen mirror /cast videos to a google chromecast, not anyu DLNA device.

Theot

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Enjoy. I get mine tomorrow. I'm excited. Love new phone day. It's like a holiday for me. I work midnights so I'll sleep on the couch so I don't miss FedEx. Lol
Lol congrats! Let me know how you like it. I had mine shipped to work so it doesn't get sniped of my porch. Should have it by Tuesday.

What phone are you coming from?

anon(1733)

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
Lol congrats! Let me know how you like it. I had mine shipped to work so it doesn't get sniped of my porch. Should have it by Tuesday.

What phone are you coming from?
Coming from the 9 plus. Great phone as well. No issues with it. I just like to bounce around.

Juventinu83

Apr 6, 2018
Visit site
So I’ve been going back and forth a lot on getting the S9+ vs the Pixel 2 XL. There’s things I like on both devices so I went to best buy today and played with both for quite a while. Here are my takeaways and some of this is all the obvious stuff but I need to put this all down to get it out and sort out a decision here.

My hesitation with the S9+ is the software, I’ve had a few Samsung devices, there’s always apps and services running in the background I’m not using that I don’t want that I can’t get rid of that seem to cause lag and eat the battery. This was a constant battle on my S7 and part of why I switched to the G6. But that hardware………is hard to beat. The screen is stunning, it has a headphone jack, wireless charging, expandable storage, water resistant, and the big one, great camera.

While I’m talking about it, I was very impressed with the camera. There was a big 3’x3’ “S9” sign in the Samsung area that is lit up and very bright. My G6 when pointed at that would darken everything around it in the picture. Not the S9+, it looked just like I was looking at it and you could see everything like it was your naked eye looking at the pic. I pointed both at a darker area and the S9+ blew my G6 away with how much light was there. Again just like your eye sees. Focus, speed, all great. It’s a very very nice camera.

The Pixel 2XL, the camera is really good, I think the S9+ was a little sharper and had much more natural colors. The Pixel 2XL took nice pictures but the colors were much richer than it was in real life, it made the nasty beat down brown carpet look like new in the pics. Lighting was very good, maybe not as good as the S9+ though. Again, it does a very nice job but I think I prefer the S9+ camera.

As we all know the great thing about the Pixel phones is the software. 35 apps running, that’s it (I didn’t bother trying to count on the S9+, there was a lot). Obviously updates all the time, fast, smooth software. The screen is mostly flat except the very edge making it easier to protect and on that note the screen looked perfectly fine on the demo unit.

I briefly had a Google experience with a Galaxy Nexus on Verizon so it was tainted. After that the closest I've had is AOSP ROMs on my Note 2 and a Moto G4 last year. Honestly, the G4 was really solid and even at 2GB of ram I had no issues. My kid has it now. Other than no quick toggle for volume/vibrate/silence and no battery percentage in the status bar, I liked the software and it continues to run well.

I know what I'll get with Samsung on the S9/S9+, I'll disable as much as I can and ignore the rest, put Nova on it, and love and hate it all at the same time, do a factory reset every two months and be looking to change phones as soon as I can. Or I could get a pixel 2, which is a little cheaper, runs the latest software, has a great camera and should have no issues for a long time. I'm torn, but leaning pixel 2.

If you need a good camera comparison in low light between the two, check out this video on youtube. It's a new channel that i really enjoy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abdul Ali