Should I get the Google Pixel 2XL or iPhone 8 Plus?

Theot

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
"Should I get the Google Pixel 2XL or iPhone 8 Plus?"

Given a choice between those two, I'd honestly go with the iPhone 8 Plus. Why? Because the Pixel is just an iPhone running Android, but without the app quality to match it. Not to mention that nitpicky things like the narrow 18:9 ratio is a bit of a turnoff. If this were comparison between a Note 8, then that would make things easier since the Note 8 has a lot of hardware that the iPhone has never had, but should have.

See I love the 18:9 at the right size. The LG G6 was perfect size in my opinion.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
"Should I get the Google Pixel 2XL or iPhone 8 Plus?"

Given a choice between those two, I'd honestly go with the iPhone 8 Plus. Why? Because the Pixel is just an iPhone running Android, but without the app quality to match it. Not to mention that nitpicky things like the narrow 18:9 ratio is a bit of a turnoff. If this were comparison between a Note 8, then that would make things easier since the Note 8 has a lot of hardware that the iPhone has never had, but should have.

Just an iPhone running Android? I don't think so.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
See I love the 18:9 at the right size. The LG G6 was perfect size in my opinion.
LG has nailed the form factor of the G series... Going back to the G2. Shame they always shoot themselves in the foot though.

But I'd never use 'thin' to describe the 2xl... 18x9 on a small display would be thin, but this is a 6" screen we're talking about... It's essentially as wide as the old 5.7” class, just with a taller display.

Theot

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
LG has nailed the form factor of the G series... Going back to the G2. Shame they always shoot themselves in the foot though.

But I'd never use 'thin' to describe the 2xl... 18x9 on a small display would be thin, but this is a 6" screen we're talking about... It's essentially as wide as the old 5.7” class, just with a taller display.
No I agree, the 2XL felt way to big to me. Where as the LG G6 has a 5.7" screen and is barely bigger than the Pixel 2 and both are very easy to handle and I don't have big hands.

As much as I like this Pixel 2, I do miss the screen size of the G6.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
The red sure is purty, but also a little girly IMO. I'd probably opt for boring old space gray.

P2XL has the edge atm. Just concerned about all these reported RMAs...

I wouldn't sweat the RMAs.... There issues as with any phone. The good thing is that Google is good about exchanges if there is a problem.

anon(10092459)

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
Hello AC,

Currently looking to upgrade from my iPhone 6s. At the moment it's a toss-up between the Google Pixel 2XL or the iPhone 8 Plus. Since I'm too indecisive, I thought I'd let random strangers on the internet decide:

Here are my general thoughts:
- P2XL has always on display, and the 'now playing' is neat
- Love the panda model. It's really unique and stands out from all the shiny glass phones on the market
- Would miss iMessage but not too 'locked in' that I couldn't transition to Android. However, I do prefer the proprietary nature of iOS and the font-choice for apps
- Worried about the QC issues with the P2XL. A lot of RMAs reported due to display problems, speaker rattling, connectivity issues etc. Never had to return an Apple product, their build quality is superb
- Willing to look past the blue-shift if mine's not too bad
- P2XL has best smartphone camera but not sure it will be an appreciable difference over 8Plus
- Could wait for the Pixel 3, but that's still six months away and there's no guarantee I'll like the new design

Thank you

Idk OP, I read this a couple of times and I actually think you might want to get the iPhone 8. I mean, unless you're just truly tired of iOS. In this post, I don't really see anything that suggests that you are. You may be a little bored though.

LuxuryTouringZone

Trusted Member
Jan 1, 2015
Visit site
I have had no issues with apps on iPhone or Android.

Not sure I get the hardware argument but to each their own.

Android does have capable hardware, but I've heard numerous complaints about equivalent apps like Snapchat and Instagram for instance, lagging and bogging on Android, while they flew on iOS. How true that is? Well, everyone has different stories to tell.

Every 18:9 smartphone I've seen in person always looked awkwardly narrow in comparison to their 16:9 friends.

Just an iPhone running Android? I don't think so.

It's got the better camera, so it gets credit for that.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Android does have capable hardware, but I've heard numerous complaints about equivalent apps like Snapchat and Instagram for instance, lagging and bogging on Android, while they flew on iOS. How true that is? Well, everyone has different stories to tell.

Every 18:9 smartphone I've seen in person always looked awkwardly narrow in comparison to their 16:9 friends.

It's got the better camera, so it gets credit for that.
Sounds to me that you've never really used a recent Android phone.

For the first point, one thing to consider is what phones were the complainants using? Keep in mind that majority iPhone user is practically using a flagship of recent years, while a lot of Android users are using phones with specs from way back 2011 since they're cheap. Another thing to consider is how the phone is set up. Android is more open than iOS so it's easier to break it if you try to do things to it, like scammy software intended for older devices (RAM cleaners and boosters for example) and run it on new devices. Apple is more closed, hence less likely for user error. It's not the OS but the user, often compounded with subpar specs of the cheap variants. And it also has to do with the developers themselves on doing their job right.

For the 18:9, it 'looks' but it doesn't mean they're bad. I do like the new ratio for the phones. I used to be skeptical until I finally used one.

That said, I think the OP could get a Pixel, then if he doesn't like it, sell it to get an iPhone once the next generation comes out since the iPhone 8 versions would be cheaper.

Last edited:

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Sounds to me that you've never really used a recent Android phone.

For the first point, one thing to consider is what phones were the complainants using? Keep in mind that majority iPhone user is practically using a flagship of recent years, while a lot of Android users are using phones with specs from way back 2011 since they're cheap. Another thing to consider is how the phone is set up. Android is more open than iOS so it's easier to break it if you try to do things to it, like scammy software intended for older devices (RAM cleaners and boosters for example) and run it on new devices. Apple is more closed, hence less likely for user error. It's not the OS but the user, often compounded with subpar specs of the cheap variants. And it also has to do with the developers themselves on doing their job right.

For the 18:9, it 'looks' but it doesn't mean they're bad. I do like the new ratio for the phones. I used to be skeptical until I finally used one.

Yup..... recent Android is much more palatable and it order to appreciate it you have to spend time with it.

I like the new screen format.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Zero issues from me using all my apps. They work well on iOS and they work well on Android. Are you talking about people on a budget Android phone? Well then I would totally get it. I promise you my Pixel 2 XL has no issues just like an iPhone X running said apps.

This is not a guess or "story" -- this is from me using both phones.

drakey86

Aug 26, 2016
Visit site
After some consideration, I'm gonna go with the Pixel 2 XL. While the iPhone 8+ would be the safer option, as another poster alluded to, I am rather bored of iOS. You know where you are with iOS, but it's a communist, closed system. I'll give the Pixel 2 XL a shot. If I buy direct from Google, I can always return it within 14 days if I'm not satisfied and replace it for an iPhone.

Thanks everyone for your input! :)

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
This article is lame and from my point of view is made by a consumer who doesn't really know how these things work behind the user interface. Which is basically true for anyone who uses the 'I paid X much for this, it shouldn't have the same issues as a cheaper one!'. News flash, Rolls Royces get flat tires like a Toyota does.

No single OS in the world will satisfy the writer then. There are times that iOS users also require factory resets after updates. Windows and MacOS too. And those are for OS that get it direct from the makers. With Android in the US you have carriers altering core functionality of the OS itself just to charge you more.

Basically the demand of 'not needing to do a factory reset ever' is an impossibility.

What article?
Are you referring to the blog about resetting your phone?

LuxuryTouringZone

Trusted Member
Jan 1, 2015
Visit site
Zero issues from me using all my apps. They work well on iOS and they work well on Android. Are you talking about people on a budget Android phone? Well then I would totally get it. I promise you my Pixel 2 XL has no issues just like an iPhone X running said apps.

This is not a guess or "story" -- this is from me using both phones.

No, people complaining about how Pixels, Galaxies, and LG flagships had a hard time with SnapChat, Instagram, Facebook, etc. from around the net. This is why I noted those claims as "stories" and not solid facts.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
No, people complaining about how Pixels, Galaxies, and LG flagships had a hard time with SnapChat, Instagram, Facebook, etc. from around the net. This is why I noted those claims as "stories" and not solid facts.
Yeah you can find those stories about any phone.. including iPhone. So if we go off stories it's pretty much all phones.

Mr Segundus

Apr 24, 2018
Visit site
Oh god, don't get the iPhone 8 Plus. That phone shouldn't even exist. The only thing its got going for it is battery life (vs the X) and that's it.

With that being said, I have both the iPhone X and the panda Pixel 2 XL and I'd go with the Pixel 2 XL any day of the week. The camera is better. The software is better. And it costs less than the 8 Plus.