Smart Lock's Trusted Location option is gone (UPD: It's back)

Moo Cow

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
I use Smart Lock, and I like Trusted Location, which keeps the phone unlocked when I am at home.

Except suddenly, it is no longer an option under Smart Lock. All the others are there, such as face unlock, and unlocked while on the body, but trusted location is gone.

Any idea what happened here or how to fix it? I don't do anything to my phones other than update when Verizon pushes them. Literally it just seemed to have vanished overnight.

Last edited:

thunderup

Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
Re: Smart Lock's Trusted Location option is gone

Sure enough, the option is missing for me, too. If I had to wager a guess, I would say it was probably removed by Google Play Services. I'm pretty sure smart lock location was tied to that and it wasn't an OS update that removed it.

anon(10092459)

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site

Damn... I just checked myself... You're right.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180522-200146.jpg
    Screenshot_20180522-200146.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 52

NMCynthia

Jan 18, 2018
Visit site

Well, that explaines why I had to enter my pin number 3 times today! I was wondering what was going on ... what gives???

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site

Why would Google remove "places"? Yes, it explains why I was being asked for a PIN at home and I just picked up the phone and used the fingerprint reader without thinking.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Very odd. Maybe some security flaw they found with it so they removed it for now ?

Devhux

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site

It's been so buggy for me that I'm not surprised, but still surprising to see it vanish like another one of their failed apps.

Moo Cow

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site

Very odd. Maybe some security flaw they found with it so they removed it for now ?

The only thing that updated for me in the Play Store in the last 24 hours was the Google app itself. Updated 5-21-18, to 8.3.14.21.arm64. I have no idea if it is even connected to my issue; I just know that's the only Google thing that updated before this issue arose.

If they had a reason that led them to remove it, I guess I would have liked to know why so I am not sitting here wondering if my phone broke itself, and rebooting it several times for no reason.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site

I rolled the Google app back to 7.24.34.21.arm64 but there was no change in the Smart Lock options - Trusted Location is still missing.

Moo Cow

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site

I rolled the Google app back to 7.24.34.21.arm64 but there was no change in the Smart Lock options - Trusted Location is still missing.

Well, that proves my one shot-in-the-dark theory is wrong, as I figured it would be. I appreciate you checking into it.

wuu7

May 23, 2018
Visit site

I use Smart Lock, and I like Trusted Location, which keeps the phone unlocked when I am at home.

Except suddenly, it is no longer an option under Smart Lock. All the others are there, such as face unlock, and unlocked while on the body, but trusted location is gone.

Any idea what happened here or how to fix it? I don't do anything to my phones other than update when Verizon pushes them. Literally it just seemed to have vanished overnight.

Hi, did you install bitdefender app? This is only one application I did install, and after that Trusted Location dissapeared...

Discy

May 23, 2018
Visit site

Same here (EU - Netherlands) so has nothing to do with your service provider.

tsanchai

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site

Same here on my Galaxy Note 8 running Android 8. I am from Bangkok, Thailand, and this has nothing to do with service provider

tsanchai

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site

This problem happen with Google Play Services version 12.6.85 updated on May 22, 2018. Downgrade to prior version is not possible. Only thing is to uninstall Google Play Services and go back to original version that come with Android 8,reboot, then Trusted Place will come back.

But Google Play Services will update itself, and then Trusted Zplacecwill then go away again. We are rely on Google’s mercy to enable it in future release on Google Play Services

MsMicaW

May 23, 2018
Visit site

Same here, came into work that I had marked as a trusted location and it's gone. It was working at home last night!

amberseattle

Jan 30, 2016
Visit site

mine is gone too. grrr. I've been uninstalling and resetting my phone all morning. what should we do now? try an app?

Moo Cow

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site

I was informed of the below article URL at the official Google boards. It isn't an official Google answer, just from another user there, but the article links to a story the site published 13 months earlier on the topic and how issues were happening even then.

It is what it is, I guess, but I wish we would have been told in advance and/or when it happened, and not found out in this fashion.

https://www.androidpolice.com/2018/05/23/trusted-places-seems-removed-smart-lock-option/

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

The only thing that updated for me in the Play Store in the last 24 hours was the Google app itself. Updated 5-21-18, to 8.3.14.21.arm64. I have no idea if it is even connected to my issue; I just know that's the only Google thing that updated before this issue arose.

If they had a reason that led them to remove it, I guess I would have liked to know why so I am not sitting here wondering if my phone broke itself, and rebooting it several times for no reason.

Yeah sometimes companies like Google/Apple are bad at communication for things like this. That is why posting here (like you did) helps since we can now all see that we are seeing it gone so it must have been intentional (or some massive bug with the latest update they pushed).