Pie Gestures and Nova Launcher....

AdamHLG

Trusted Member
Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
I enabled the pie gestures and I have Nova Launcher running. While it works, one thing that I noticed is that the second swipe of the "pill" does not bring up the app drawer. Of course I can enable a Nova Launcher gesture to show the app drawer by swiping up on the main screen which I currently have configured. Another thing I noticed is that the back arrow on the left side of where the buttons normally are (or...where the buttons were) is always enabled and does not disappear in the manner it is supposed to work.

I did re-enable the pixel launcher as an experiment and found that everything works as described.

I am just curious if others have found this to be the case. perhaps there will be an update to Nova Launcher to address the issue or perhaps there is a setting that I missed to have the pie gestures and back button work with Nova Launcher as it does for Pixel launcher. it's not a big deal of course just posting an observation.

Theot

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Just experienced the same issue when I tried to put Nova on. I had swipe up for the app drawer enabled in Nova so swiping up on the dock did that (which I normally use and gives some separation from the short and long swipe on the pill) but you couldn't toggle between recent apps swiping the pill to the right and swiping up on the pill does nothing.

I may go back to buttons until there's a fix. I was going to give the gestures a fair shake for a few days but I just do not like the pixel launcher. Half my issue with the gestures is I don't have long thumbs so getting the app drawer open is kind of a pain because it's the long swipe so opening the app drawer is generally an exercise in frustration. My main reason for using Nova launcher is two fold. First, I don't want the search bar on the screen let alone at the bottom. I don't use it and all it does is open the search app so I'd rather just have the Google app icon in my drawer. Secondly, and maybe more importantly is I like being able to swipe down to pull down the notification shade and Google still hasn't given us that option in the pixel launcher. I hate to say this but they are getting very apple like in how we can do things. There may come a day when damn the camera and how good it is on the pixel if I can't make it my own I'm going to use a OnePlus device because they give me choice out of the box.

emilcDC

Mar 12, 2015
Visit site
I had the problem too. I got around it by activating the swipe up from the dock to open the app drawer, not assigning a nova gesture - just one for the dock. That way I can access recent apps by swiping up from the home button and the app drawer by swiping up from the dock.

The arrow is kind of annoying but I'd rather keep Nova Launcher than Pixel Launcher for now. Especially given the fact they've already come out and asked for a bit of patience while they implement new features on the update. They normally do come through.

Theot

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
I had the problem too. I got around it by activating the swipe up from the dock to open the app drawer, not assigning a nova gesture - just one for the dock. That way I can access recent apps by swiping up from the home button and the app drawer by swiping up from the dock.

The arrow is kind of annoying but I'd rather keep Nova Launcher than Pixel Launcher for now. Especially given the fact they've already come out and asked for a bit of patience while they implement new features on the update. They normally do come through.
Ok that's what I did, swipe up from the dock for app drawer but I couldn't get recents to work and the pill wouldn't slide or flick to the right for scrolling or quick toggle.

I'm annoyed enough with the whole thing anyway I think I'll just go back to the buttons for now. Though I am really digging using the pill for scrolling through recent apps quickly.

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
I had Nova Launcher Prime set up to work exactly like I wanted in Android O. When I installed Android P, Nova still worked exactly like I wanted. All I had to do was find the new settings for my clock to display seconds again. I needed that when I'm working with stock market trading. I feel no need to try going to the Android P launcher and messing up my productivity and how I like to work.

Kizzy Catwoman

Ambassador
Feb 2, 2017
Visit site
I had Nova Launcher Prime set up to work exactly like I wanted in Android O. When I installed Android P, Nova still worked exactly like I wanted. All I had to do was find the new settings for my clock to display seconds again. I needed that when I'm working with stock market trading. I feel no need to try going to the Android P launcher and messing up my productivity and how I like to work.
Did you try that app that opens system ui for you? I have the details here.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sika524.android.quickshortcut

In the search box type system ui. Then select system UI demo mode.

Click TRY
9d8b2951698fa426a310255a7e5d60ca.jpg

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site

oks10

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, I'm with Gary. Absolutely nothing changed with my Nova interaction. Only thing I can't do is pull the app drawer up the "pixel" way with the pill but I've had swipe up trigger the app drawer using Nova as long as I've used Nova so if anything my way is actually more efficient. Using the pill to pull up recent apps and switch between them by swiping works fine for me though.

tbrady8

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
I tried this to remove the time (possible in Oreo) with the Nova activity shortcut but the time just comes back after the phone sleeps/locks. I hate having the time always in my face. Say it's weird but sometimes I can't sleep and I like to read. Seeing 2am, 3am, 4am, 5am gives me anxiety.

Maave

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
I found that the pill swiping for recent apps is much jerkier on third party launchers. Works fine with Google launch but on Apex or Nova it's clearly a different UI (smaller previews) and it jumps quickly and I overshoot. I'll have to wait until the navigation API is available to third party launchers. I can't deal with the limitations of the stock launcher.

Theot

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
So I switched to the gesture navigation in Nova today to give it a second go and I do love the fast scrolling through recent apps with the pill.

I to am using swipe up on the dock for the app drawer. I think it works better than the two swipes up in the stock pixel launcher as whether I want an app or recents it's only one swipe I just have to hit the right swipe point.

maximegousse

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
I am sort of disappointed since gesture was for me the big feture of Pie. Not switching away from Nova. As other have mentionned, I implemented swipe from desktop to get apps. And man we need that gesture to the left to go back. The left arrow ruins the whole gesture thing.