Pixel 2 XL Spontaneously Texts, Calls, Tweets While in My Pocket

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
This has been happening for a while now--it's not related to Android Pie--and it's really getting annoying. This morning, while starting my day, I put my phone in my pocket walked downstairs to my charger, pulled my phone out of my pocket and there was TweetCaster (a Twitter app) on my screen asking me if I wanted to Tweet, discard tweet, save as draft, or retweet with comment of the current tweet showing in that app. This is extremely odd because I haven't opened TweetCaster on my phone in weeks.

The sequence of events was:
1. Unlock phone with fingerprint reader
2. Note battery meter was at 45% and my phone needed a charge
3. Soft press power button to turn off phone's screen
4. Put phone in pocket. Walk downstairs to charger.
5. Pull phone out of pocket to see TweetCaster engaged and ready to tweet!

This was a sequence of about 45 seconds to 1 minute.

In the past several months, with phone in my pocket and the screen having been shut off with a soft power button push, I have called people, "composed" text drafts (usually gibberish), had apps opened I didn't have open beforehand, opened the compose windwo in my email app, etc. Because this happens so frequently I ALWAYS soft press the power button to (I assume) shut off the screen and any possible chance of this sort of stuff occurring. The phone is supposed to be locked at this point, requiring my fingerprint or PIN to unlock it, isn't it?

So why does my phone spontaneously take actions while in my pocket?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I can't say. That is really odd. My phone has never done anything while in my pocket since it can't get past the lock screen... but also I just don't think it is activating. I wear loose jeans and my screen faces my leg.

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I can't say. That is really odd. My phone has never done anything while in my pocket since it can't get past the lock screen... but also I just don't think it is activating. I wear loose jeans and my screen faces my leg.

I wear loose shorts in summer and regular jeans in winter. I place my phone with screen facing my leg. Still, as you say, how does it get around the lockscreen? My previous phone, Moto Droid Turbo, had a sensor that would lock the screen when it was put in the pocket. I think it had the locking function tied to the ambient light sensor. I would hope that the Pixel 2 had this as well, but maybe not.

Most times if my phone calls someone from my pocket it will be the last person I had communicated with. And it doesn't only call people that I've just had a phone conversation with, it has called people that I just texted. So, maybe the act of walking or sitting down, or other movement somehow engages the phone icon for calling the contact? But again, the phone was given a soft shutdown before being placed in my pocket.

The incident today with TweetCaster kind of put me over the edge, causing me to ask the group what the heck is going on. Now that I think back on the problem, I've had my phone open my Kindle app, which I almost never use. There's been a couple of other apps that have opened that were really weird.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I wear loose shorts in summer and regular jeans in winter. I place my phone with screen facing my leg. Still, as you say, how does it get around the lockscreen? My previous phone, Moto Droid Turbo, had a sensor that would lock the screen when it was put in the pocket. I think it had the locking function tied to the ambient light sensor. I would hope that the Pixel 2 had this as well, but maybe not.

Most times if my phone calls someone from my pocket it will be the last person I had communicated with. And it doesn't only call people that I've just had a phone conversation with, it has called people that I just texted. So, maybe the act of walking or sitting down, or other movement somehow engages the phone icon for calling the contact? But again, the phone was given a soft shutdown before being placed in my pocket.

The incident today with TweetCaster kind of put me over the edge, causing me to ask the group what the heck is going on. Now that I think back on the problem, I've had my phone open my Kindle app, which I almost never use. There's been a couple of other apps that have opened that were really weird.

Do you have any type of Smart Lock enabled? Like location?

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
What if one jams his hands in his jeans pockets as one often does and happens to touch the fingerprint sensor without thinking about it?

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Do you have any type of Smart Lock enabled? Like location?

Smart Lock on body detection set to OFF.

I have my home set as a Trusted Place. Hmm...

I have two trusted devices, my vehicle and my bluetooth earbuds. They are not connected when these spontaneous events occur.

NMCynthia

Jan 18, 2018
Visit site
Someone earlier this week mentioned a "possessed Pixel" ... and it definitely sounds like you have one!! Mine will turn the flashlight on when in my pocket ... not all the time, thank heavens! I really try hard to turn the screen off before putting it in my pocket, also.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Well technically if it's unlocking in your pocket it somehow is doing it from your leg. To be honest I am not sure how it would. I haven't had my phone (or even previous non-pixel phones) ever do it.
How is it opening apps and typing stuff?

mggm100

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
Ha! Mine turns the flashlight on in my pocket too. The other day I was on a shuttle bus and the guy next to me said "Excuse me, but whatever is in your pocket just turned a light on." LOL

It also makes phone calls from my pocket.

If I remember to turn the screen off before pocketing these things don't happen.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Someone earlier this week mentioned a "possessed Pixel" ... and it definitely sounds like you have one!! Mine will turn the flashlight on when in my pocket ... not all the time, thank heavens! I really try hard to turn the screen off before putting it in my pocket, also.

Maybe your phone is afraid of the dark

Tomster88

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
This has been happening for a while now--it's not related to Android Pie--and it's really getting annoying. This morning, while starting my day, I put my phone in my pocket walked downstairs to my charger, pulled my phone out of my pocket and there was TweetCaster (a Twitter app) on my screen asking me if I wanted to Tweet, discard tweet, save as draft, or retweet with comment of the current tweet showing in that app. This is extremely odd because I haven't opened TweetCaster on my phone in weeks.

The sequence of events was:
1. Unlock phone with fingerprint reader
2. Note battery meter was at 45% and my phone needed a charge
3. Soft press power button to turn off phone's screen
4. Put phone in pocket. Walk downstairs to charger.
5. Pull phone out of pocket to see TweetCaster engaged and ready to tweet!

This was a sequence of about 45 seconds to 1 minute.

In the past several months, with phone in my pocket and the screen having been shut off with a soft power button push, I have called people, "composed" text drafts (usually gibberish), had apps opened I didn't have open beforehand, opened the compose windwo in my email app, etc. Because this happens so frequently I ALWAYS soft press the power button to (I assume) shut off the screen and any possible chance of this sort of stuff occurring. The phone is supposed to be locked at this point, requiring my fingerprint or PIN to unlock it, isn't it?

So why does my phone spontaneously take actions while in my pocket?

Omg this is totally happened to me on several occasions, I thought it was just me. I would put the phone in my pocket and then two minutes later it would be calling someone, or texting weird stuff to people. I have no idea what causes it.

Erick G Wright

Oct 27, 2014
Visit site
I'm having the same issue Google pixel 2 XL... I noticed it mostly happens when it's really hot outside and my phone is facing my leg... Obviously there's some type of key pressing... Mine's even go so far as to sending pictures I almost want to shut my phone off each time I put it in my pocket because this is extremely annoying and slightly frightening as far as sending the random pictures to random people in my contact list

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I'm having the same issue Google pixel 2 XL... I noticed it mostly happens when it's really hot outside and my phone is facing my leg... Obviously there's some type of key pressing... Mine's even go so far as to sending pictures I almost want to shut my phone off each time I put it in my pocket because this is extremely annoying and slightly frightening as far as sending the random pictures to random people in my contact list

Don't know what hot weather would have to do with it, but I just went through another weekend where my Pixel 2XL spontaneously did a bunch of stuff while in my pocket, and yes, look at the calendar and it's July. My OP was last August. Weird.

While in my pocket my phone turned on my flashlight twice, had composed a text consisting of gibberish, and was three sequential steps into an app I rarely use (had to use the back arrow three times to exit it.) Can't remember which one it was now.

Cruzin0101

Aug 2, 2019
Visit site
I have had numerous issues similar to those already mentioned. When I pull my phone out of my pocket it may be trying to make a video call, show the current weather, open an app. or start a text to name a few. I contacted Google and, although helpful by listening to my issues, they were not able to resolve the problem. My only option is to turn off the screen before I put it in my pocket...... That is not a reasonable solution. I love this phone in every way except for this issue. Any ideas???

Cruzin0101

Aug 2, 2019
Visit site
After spending a lot of time trying to figure out this problem a I may know what's happening...at least in my situation. I believe the right navigation button, (recently opened apps) is the most likely culprit. I think it senses activation and is opening random apps. Does this sound plausible?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non