Unsecure WiFi Bypass?

randyjaco

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
I enjoy my Pixel 2xl, but one of the security features is bugging the crap out of me. When I access wifi at a McDonald's, Starbucks, etc., I get a warning that the wifi is not secure. This a nice reminder, but it prevents me from from accessing the wifi. Nothing seems to allow me to access the wifi. OK, I have been warned, but I still want to read the news.
I am not sure if the problem is my phone or the Webroot software. Any suggestions?
Randy

00stryder

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I believe if you tap "advanced," it should give you the option to select an option whereby you basically acknowledge the security risk and proceed to your desired web page anyway.

randyjaco

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
This morning I was at McDonald's and when I tried to go to the Net, the attached screen shots are what I got. I was only able to toggle between the two screens or go to Google help, which wasn't helpful.

Randy

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180814-085616.jpg
    Screenshot_20180814-085616.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 27
  • Screenshot_20180814-085626.jpg
    Screenshot_20180814-085626.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 25

Nauga

Nov 9, 2017
Visit site
I don't know what Webroot software is, but I do know that I've never seen that particular warning screen on my 2 XL. Could it be that whatever Webroot is it's working at cross purposes with Google's WiFi Assistant? Do you have Private DNS enabled on your phone? Is it set to Automatic? Or did you select a specific DNS provider?

randyjaco

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
I don't know what Webroot software is, but I do know that I've never seen that particular warning screen on my 2 XL. Could it be that whatever Webroot is it's working at cross purposes with Google's WiFi Assistant? Do you have Private DNS enabled on your phone? Is it set to Automatic? Or did you select a specific DNS provider?

Webroot is a security app. How do you get in to check Google wifi assistant, find out if I have a Private DNS enabled?
Randy

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2016
Visit site
This morning I was at McDonald's and when I tried to go to the Net, the attached screen shots are what I got. I was only able to toggle between the two screens or go to Google help, which wasn't helpful.

Randy

This is the page you should get if something is trying to modify or read the page you requested.

You should never try to bypass this error.

Some free wifi hotspots cause this error by replacing the page you requested with a login / terms of service page. In these cases, Android should prompt you.

Update: the explanation Google gives in the screen shots is quite good.

randyjaco

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
Settings > Network & internet > Advanced > VPN, Private DNS

In wifi assistant, everything is greyed out except "Forget VPN". Nothing related to DNS in Setup.

Yes I did try to reload several times.

Tomorrow I'll look to see if there is a log in requirement. I know there was before, but I didn't think it was required every time. If so, nothing is alerting me to do it.

Randy

Nauga

Nov 9, 2017
Visit site
In wifi assistant, everything is greyed out except "Forget VPN". Nothing related to DNS in Setup.
Huh. I wonder if it's a carrier-specific option? I'm on Fi.

Are all of your WiFi preferences toggles on? (below the list of available WiFi networks)

Do you have the Connected MAC randomization toggle in Developer options?

I'm just curious now that you say you see no Private DNS listing in your Network settings.

randyjaco

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
I am on Fi also. All my wifi options are on. I am a long way from the being a developer. Have no idea of how to get to those options.
Randy

randyjaco

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
I tried several McDonald's and Starbucks today. I got the same message but going to Advanced, I did get the option to proceed to the desired websites. The blocking is a PITA because in order to get to the Internet when blocked, I have to turn off wifi on my phone which I don't always remember to turn back on.

Nauga

Nov 9, 2017
Visit site
I am a long way from the being a developer.
Me, too! I just got used to using the developer options a couple years ago because I had to sideload monthly security updates to my Nexus 6 every frickin' month thanks to our friends at Fi. Odd thing for me is, I don't remember doing anything to turn on Private DNS, so it seems weird that my phone has it and yours doesn't.

Oh, well. Somebody'll explain it sooner or later.