Camera problem

randyjaco

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
My camera on my 2xl just stopped working. I just get a blank camera screen
I have rebooted and rebooted safe mode.
I have deleted the cache and data from the phone app. I presume it's a third party app, but how do you figure out which one? I haven't got a clue. I haven't installed a new app in a month.
Any suggestions?
Thanks
Randy

Last edited by a moderator:

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
If you use a 3rd party camera app (or an in-app one like Facebook's or Snapchat's), do you get any images? Do you get an error message or just a 'blank' screen? If the latter and across all apps, maybe your camera module is faulty/disconnected. Booting up into safe mode should rule out any 3rd party app affecting it

I'm not sure if you can test the camera with this, but you can try this code on the dialer to access hardware info from your phone.
*#*#4636#*#*

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Start in safe mode (power button, then long-press Restart). That starts the phone with no 3rd party apps.

I suspect, though, that the camera module has failed, and you'll have to have the phone replaced (it's still under warranty). Call them and talk to them about it. They'll probably want you to try a few things first, to verify that its the camera module.

(If you flip to the front camera, does that work? If so, since they're different modules, that almost proves a failed rear camera. If not, it's strange, but call Google.)

If starting in safe mode fixes it, you're going to have to remember the apps you installed and uninstall them in reverse order. You might want to back them up first, though, with App Backup & Restore, so you can reinstall the ones you uninstalled easily. (If any of them have data you can't back up [like games], you might want to use Helium instead. It backs up data by default, but you can set it to back up the apps too. [And if the phone's not rooted, you'll need a PC or laptop, download the program it tells you to, and connect the phone to it, so it gets permission to run. [Don't ask me - I didn't design it.])

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I have rebooted and rebooted safe mode.
Since you already tried Safe mode the next step is a Factory Reset.
Checking to see if the front-facing camera is worthwhile though, and as already suggested if that works then you probably have a hardware problem and are going to require a replacement.

randyjaco

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
If you use a 3rd party camera app (or an in-app one like Facebook's or Snapchat's), do you get any images? Do you get an error message or just a 'blank' screen? If the latter and across all apps, maybe your camera module is faulty/disconnected. Booting up into safe mode should rule out any 3rd party app affecting it

I'm not sure if you can test the camera with this, but you can try this code on the dialer to access hardware info from your phone.
*#*#4636#*#*

I don't see anything regarding the camera there.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87