I'm happy about the gesture navigation.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I'm taking the gestures feature as a good first step with room to improve. Transitioning from the three buttons will undoubtedly be challenging for the masses. Lot of push back from the majority, I think, for a while.

I don't even mind push back from the majority. I'll qualify that as the majority of actual owners or potential owners that have tried the gestures. Not the drive-by shooters who just want take aim at all things Google.

Gdwheel

Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
I first use them in my iPhone x and liked it , then the one plus 6 was good too , and when the pixel started it in beta I was like what the hell was that. Thought as the beta moved along they try different things with it , but Google looked to have their minds set from the start that's what they wanted

Totally agree. The iPhone and Oneplus gestures are great. Google's version is not for me. I like to use the full screen without buttons and to be able to navigate easily and quickly. Google's gestures do not add anything. I am turned off by the 3XL for this very reason. I wonder if the Pie gestures can be turned off and immersive mode implemented on the 3XL? With apps like Swipe Gestures the 3XL could be made to work okay.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Totally agree. The iPhone and Oneplus gestures are great. Google's version is not for me. I like to use the full screen without buttons and to be able to navigate easily and quickly. Google's gestures do not add anything. I am turned off by the 3XL for this very reason. I wonder if the Pie gestures can be turned off and immersive mode implemented on the 3XL? With apps like Swipe Gestures the 3XL could be made to work okay.

You do have the option to go back with buttons instead of gestures, but the other problem they didn't fix is recent apps in order to clear all at one time you need to scroll all the way to left which means going through all your recent apps and then clear all. Just not well thought out .

Kalvin Kerns

Trusted Member
Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
Folks are so quick to complain about new and exciting features. Gesture navigation prevents having to reach the entire screen to go back etc.. Nice addition in my mind.

I'm tired of hearing of this silly Notch.

What new gestures are you referring to? They are optional right? We'll still have the three basic buttons at the bottom for back, home and to show all open apps right? I would really hate to see those basic utility buttons go...

milehigherik

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Should be optional. Everyone shuts down the latest technology And tries to fight it. The aspect ratio on screens as one example from a few years ago. Now it is the standard.

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
When I upgraded to Pie the traditional button layout was the default..... I would need to change it under settings. I don't see them taking that setting away anytime soon, I think they'll let people get used to the new gestures at their own speed. Better than forcing it on users and alienating them.