10-12-2018 12:25 PM
85 123 ...
tools
    I ordered the 64GB white pixel 3XL! I am super excited. If you're excited about it and could care less about that Notch... Sound off here! With that space being functional on a wide-angle camera I am super excited about the notch! Bring It On!
    Itsa_Me_Mario likes this.
    10-09-2018 11:19 AM
    I think it looks like a cute little robot face.
    milehigherik likes this.
    10-09-2018 11:34 AM
    I'd be MUCH more comfortable with a smaller notch, BUT I don't mind it so much.
    10-09-2018 11:37 AM
    One persons work of art is another's eyesore
    10-09-2018 01:48 PM
    I haven't cared about notches since I tried an iPhone X when it released. If you stare at it then yeah you notice. Once you use the phone and do day to day you forget about it (or at least my mind blocked it out).
    EMGSM likes this.
    10-09-2018 02:05 PM
    Had the notch with the p20 pro...

lasted 2 months then sold it.... i hated it!
    10-09-2018 02:45 PM
    I don't like the notch, but I ordered one and if I can't "hide" it and or get used to it. I will just return in and get a Note 9. LOL since I am trading in the XL2.
    milehigherik and EMGSM like this.
    10-09-2018 03:31 PM
    Much better a notch than a giant forehead or chin.
    10-09-2018 03:34 PM
    I don't like the notch, but I ordered one and if I can't "hide" it and or get used to it. I will just return in and get a Note 9. LOL since I am trading in the XL2.
    The notch really has me worried. I was okay with the iPhone and OnePlus notches, but this one is so big. Oh well, it will cost $35 to try it if I don't like it.
    10-09-2018 04:09 PM
    I ordered the 64GB white pixel 3XL! I am super excited. If you're excited about it and could care less about that Notch... Sound off here! With that space being functional on a wide-angle camera I am super excited about the notch! Bring It On!
    Such a polarizing feature.

I was over it before it started
    milehigherik likes this.
    10-09-2018 04:45 PM
    Much better a notch than a giant forehead or chin.
    But it has both a notch and a large chin.

My X, my Essential and my 1+6 all had notches but they blended into the background soon enough. This notch is so large I can't help but keep staring at it.
    milehigherik likes this.
    10-09-2018 06:15 PM
    Have used plenty phones with notch and still using one. Personally the notch never bothered me on any phone and pretty sure it's not going to bother on this as well. But I got to say this looks deeper than others but I should be fine.
    10-09-2018 07:22 PM
    You can hide the notch in developers settings.
    ClintRo and Itsa_Me_Mario like this.
    10-10-2018 10:03 AM
    The notch really has me worried. I was okay with the iPhone and OnePlus notches, but this one is so big. Oh well, it will cost $35 to try it if I don't like it.
    This one is actually smaller than the iPhone notch. Phone arena shows it off:

What notch?-photo_2018-10-09_15-47-21.jpg

The area of the iPhone XS Max notch is roughly 45.6% more than the area of the Pixel 3 XL notch. And the iPhone doesn't use that area for notifications, so it is serving less of a purpose.
    milehigherik likes this.
    10-10-2018 10:22 AM
    The 3XL notch is narrower, but much thicker. The photos show it better than that diagram. The XS Max notch is not nearly as thick. It is thick enough that Google made the status bar thicker to match it, which according to most of the reviewers, looks pretty bad - particularly with the large chin. Things like this tend to bug me. I canceled my order. It is far too expensive for what it offers.
    J Dubbs likes this.
    10-10-2018 10:27 AM
    The 3XL notch is narrower, but much thicker. The photos show it better than that diagram. The XS Max notch is not nearly as thick. It is thick enough that Google made the status bar thicker to match it, which according to most of the reviewers, looks pretty bad - particularly with the large chin. Things like this tend to bug me. I canceled my order. It is far too expensive for what it offers.
    The status bar is virtually the same size as the 2XL so I don't see it as an issue coming from the 2XL
    milehigherik likes this.
    10-10-2018 10:31 AM
    Read this: https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2018...h-the-pixel-3/

"The Pixel 3 XL follows the notch display trend, but Google has the biggest notch in the industry. The cutout extends so far into the display that it doesn't fit inside a normal Android status bar, so the bar is twice as tall as normal, which looks ridiculous."

It confirms what can be seen in many photos.
    J Dubbs likes this.
    10-10-2018 10:51 AM
    Read this: https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2018...h-the-pixel-3/

"The Pixel 3 XL follows the notch display trend, but Google has the biggest notch in the industry. The cutout extends so far into the display that it doesn't fit inside a normal Android status bar, so the bar is twice as tall as normal, which looks ridiculous."

It confirms what can be seen in many photos.
    This what it would look like with notch option off
    Attached Thumbnails What notch?-387.jpg  
    EMGSM likes this.
    10-10-2018 10:54 AM
    The 3XL notch is narrower, but much thicker. The photos show it better than that diagram. The XS Max notch is not nearly as thick.
    It is 9% taller and 37% narrower. And my calculation earlier was off, I'm editing it, but the notch on the iPhone XS Max has 45.6% more area.
    milehigherik likes this.
    10-10-2018 11:05 AM
    This what it would look like with notch option off
    This is what I don't understand. This is Android. This is not Apple. Most of these companies (Huawei, OnePlus etc) that have included a notch have given you a way to "hide" the notch. Why did people think Google would not do the same? At least we have the option to hide the notch or embrace it.

This will be the first setting I change when I get the phone and then move on with my life. From what I've read and the pictures I've seen, when you hide the notch, it looks pretty much exactly like the Pixel 2 XL.
    DMP89145 and J Dubbs like this.
    10-10-2018 11:23 AM
    This is what I don't understand. This is Android. This is not Apple. Most of these companies (Huawei, OnePlus etc) that have included a notch have given you a way to "hide" the notch. Why did people think Google would not do the same? At least we have the option to hide the notch or embrace it.

This will be the first setting I change when I get the phone and then move on with my life. From what I've read and the pictures I've seen, when you hide the notch, it looks pretty much exactly like the Pixel 2 XL.
    Exactly....all they did was move all hardware towards the center, making room for the status and notifications.
    10-10-2018 11:34 AM

If they would of put the 2 camera to the left and notification in the center it would've looked weird.. so by design it has to be centered the camera and speakers . And now you have notification and status in the bezel not on the screen
    10-10-2018 11:52 AM
    What notch?-vgglzuj.jpg

This is what the phone looks like with the notch hidden.
    Chex313 likes this.
    10-10-2018 12:03 PM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	vggLZuJ.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	156.8 KB 
ID:	291970

This is what the phone looks like with the notch hidden.
    I don't see with the notch on , both show notch off
    10-10-2018 01:12 PM
    I'm confused - the photo in post 18 shows status/notifications in the black band hiding the notch. The photo in post 23 shows status/notifications below the black band. Which is it? Or is position a settings choice (which seems unlikely)?
    10-10-2018 01:41 PM
85 123 ...