What notch?

milehigherik

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
I ordered the 64GB white pixel 3XL! I am super excited. If you're excited about it and could care less about that Notch... Sound off here! With that space being functional on a wide-angle camera I am super excited about the notch! Bring It On!

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Ambassador
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I'd be MUCH more comfortable with a smaller notch, BUT I don't mind it so much. :)

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I haven't cared about notches since I tried an iPhone X when it released. If you stare at it then yeah you notice. Once you use the phone and do day to day you forget about it (or at least my mind blocked it out).

ClintRo

Trusted Member
Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
I don't like the notch, but I ordered one and if I can't "hide" it and or get used to it. I will just return in and get a Note 9. LOL since I am trading in the XL2.

Gdwheel

Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
I don't like the notch, but I ordered one and if I can't "hide" it and or get used to it. I will just return in and get a Note 9. LOL since I am trading in the XL2.

The notch really has me worried. I was okay with the iPhone and OnePlus notches, but this one is so big. Oh well, it will cost $35 to try it if I don't like it.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I ordered the 64GB white pixel 3XL! I am super excited. If you're excited about it and could care less about that Notch... Sound off here! With that space being functional on a wide-angle camera I am super excited about the notch! Bring It On!

Such a polarizing feature.

I was over it before it started

jlczl

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
Much better a notch than a giant forehead or chin.

But it has both a notch and a large chin.

My X, my Essential and my 1+6 all had notches but they blended into the background soon enough. This notch is so large I can't help but keep staring at it.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Have used plenty phones with notch and still using one. Personally the notch never bothered me on any phone and pretty sure it's not going to bother on this as well. But I got to say this looks deeper than others but I should be fine.

Itsa_Me_Mario

¯\_(o_o)_/¯
Feb 19, 2018
Visit site
The notch really has me worried. I was okay with the iPhone and OnePlus notches, but this one is so big. Oh well, it will cost $35 to try it if I don't like it.

This one is actually smaller than the iPhone notch. Phone arena shows it off:

photo_2018-10-09_15-47-21.jpg

The area of the iPhone XS Max notch is roughly 45.6% more than the area of the Pixel 3 XL notch. And the iPhone doesn't use that area for notifications, so it is serving less of a purpose.

Last edited:

Gdwheel

Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
The 3XL notch is narrower, but much thicker. The photos show it better than that diagram. The XS Max notch is not nearly as thick. It is thick enough that Google made the status bar thicker to match it, which according to most of the reviewers, looks pretty bad - particularly with the large chin. Things like this tend to bug me. I canceled my order. It is far too expensive for what it offers.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
The 3XL notch is narrower, but much thicker. The photos show it better than that diagram. The XS Max notch is not nearly as thick. It is thick enough that Google made the status bar thicker to match it, which according to most of the reviewers, looks pretty bad - particularly with the large chin. Things like this tend to bug me. I canceled my order. It is far too expensive for what it offers.

The status bar is virtually the same size as the 2XL so I don't see it as an issue coming from the 2XL

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site

Attachments

• 387.jpg
    387.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 45

Itsa_Me_Mario

¯\_(o_o)_/¯
Feb 19, 2018
Visit site
The 3XL notch is narrower, but much thicker. The photos show it better than that diagram. The XS Max notch is not nearly as thick.

It is 9% taller and 37% narrower. And my calculation earlier was off, I'm editing it, but the notch on the iPhone XS Max has 45.6% more area.

TheAlmightyDrew

Sep 10, 2010
Visit site
This what it would look like with notch option off

This is what I don't understand. This is Android. This is not Apple. Most of these companies (Huawei, OnePlus etc) that have included a notch have given you a way to "hide" the notch. Why did people think Google would not do the same? At least we have the option to hide the notch or embrace it.

This will be the first setting I change when I get the phone and then move on with my life. From what I've read and the pictures I've seen, when you hide the notch, it looks pretty much exactly like the Pixel 2 XL.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38