10-12-2018 11:47 AM
66 123
tools
    Most people (me included) believe that Apple rips people off when it comes to storage. They intentionally make the base level storage option too low and 'force' people to pay high prices for extra storage. Well, Google has trumped them. $100 for 64 gb of storage. The iPhone XR offers an extra 64gb for $50 (and it's $50/gb for the XSs too - although no 128gb option).

Google absolutely failed in pricing these phones. $749/$799 would have been a no brainer. Honestly, I would love to see this phone fail miserably in sales, so Google learns a lesson about gouging people.
    karqren, Vega007 and Ca_lvn like this.
    10-10-2018 07:28 AM
    Hmmm.. Not sure what you're getting at. As $100 for 64gb may actually be the correct pricing. It depends on the quality of the memory being used. Also, the prices on this phone are already over $100 less than the "better" iPhone which is the actual competition. The budget iphones are likely using older memory modules which are cheaper to incorporate.

On top of that, you get unlimited storage for your photos on google photos - even in high res so you really don't need all that storage.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if this thread gets locked/deleted.
    10-10-2018 07:35 AM
    Hmmm.. Not sure what you're getting at. As $100 for 64gb may actually be the correct pricing. It depends on the quality of the memory being used. Also, the prices on this phone are already over $100 less than the "better" iPhone which is the actual competition. The budget iphones are likely using older memory modules which are cheaper to incorporate.

On top of that, you get unlimited storage for your photos on google photos - even in high res so you really don't need all that storage.

Not sure what I'm getting at??? It's in the title. This is the most expensive memory on any smartphone. It's a ripoff. If you can't see that, my guess is you will defend anything. Wake up and expect better.
    10-10-2018 07:47 AM
    Mod note: let’s make sure we are discussing the topic and not each other. Thank you.
    10-10-2018 08:55 AM
    I agree, I love google as much as anything but they are charging a crazy amount.
    karqren, Vega007 and J Dubbs like this.
    10-10-2018 09:04 AM
    I was thinking of getting the Pixel 3 but now trying to justify the cost.

I am using an LG G4 on Verizon but want to upgrade my phone and move to Project Fi. The LG options on Project Fi both come with micro SD card support up to 2 TB and Samsung and Sandisk 128GB cards are under $30. The basic Pixel 3 is $799 on Fi but the LG V35 is discounted to $699 and also comes with a $150 Fi service credit so it has an effective cost of $549 (LG G7 has an effective cost of $399). Unless you can qualify for the restrictive 2 for 1 deal on Fi, the Pixel 3 is not competitive on price. The main downside of the LG options seems to be software updates. Choices, choices.
    10-10-2018 09:22 AM
    The beauty of smartphones today, especially android devices, is that there are so many to choose from. So if you don't want to pay X for XGB of storage, you can move on to a different manufacturer and find the phone that you think warrants the MSRP. Personally, I pre-ordered the 3 XL 64GB version, because I too couldn't find the value in paying the extra $100 for extra memory that I didn't need. The 3 XL has everything else I wanted in a phone, so after thinking critically about the pros and cons, I pulled the trigger on it.

I don't see the point in complaining about the cost anything phone related. If you think it's too expensive, or not worth it... don't buy it. There's always something else out there that will suit your needs.
    10-10-2018 09:30 AM

I am using an LG G4 on Verizon but want to upgrade my phone and move to Project Fi. The LG options on Project Fi both come with micro SD card support up to 2 TB and Samsung and Sandisk 128GB cards are under $30. The basic Pixel 3 is $799 on Fi but the LG V35 is discounted to $699 and also comes with a $150 Fi service credit so it has an effective cost of $549 (LG G7 has an effective cost of $399). Unless you can qualify for the restrictive 2 for 1 deal on Fi, the Pixel 3 is not competitive on price. The main downside of the LG options seems to be software updates. Choices, choices.
    The LG V series and Pixels are two very different devices. I don't know your financial situation but I make my choice based on the things I desire most. The V35 is nice but the V30 is a bigger bargain right now. I was not happy with the V30 camera. If I was shopping for the LG it would be the V40 but that's a bit more money. For my needs I decided to stay with Pixel.
    10-10-2018 09:36 AM
    I tend to agree with the OP on the overall pricing. I'm as torn as anyone between a cool new phone and saving for retirement, but when you also factor in that your entire investment could accidentally fall into a toilet, well ... Maybe I'll hedge my bets and buy a Pixel 1 or 2 on swappa, like others keep advising.
    J Dubbs likes this.
    10-10-2018 10:08 AM
    I tend to agree with the OP on the overall pricing. I'm as torn as anyone between a cool new phone and saving for retirement, but when you also factor in that your entire investment could accidentally fall into a toilet, well ... Maybe I'll hedge my bets and buy a Pixel 1 or 2 on swappa, like others keep advising.
    If you are going with either a used 1 or 2 from Swapp and intend on keeping it while the 2 may be better due to less potential battery decline.
    overhear likes this.
    10-10-2018 10:16 AM
    The main downside of the LG options seems to be software updates. Choices, choices.
    I loved my LG G4, but it began to bootloop due to a manufacturing defect, as did my husband's LG-manufactured Nexus, and both of the phones LG sent us to replace them. So, sadly I'm no longer an LG customer.
    10-10-2018 10:30 AM

The V30 is an awesome phone. Glass is beautiful on it if you get the green/blue from projectFi.
    10-10-2018 10:31 AM
    I loved my LG G4, but it began to bootloop due to a manufacturing defect, as did my husband's LG-manufactured Nexus, and both of the phones LG sent us to replace them. So, sadly I'm no longer an LG customer.
    For what it's worth, the bootloop issue of the G4 and V10 (I wasn't aware of the same issue on their Nexus line and can't speak to it) were addressed and fixed with their successors. I was hit with it on my G4 as well, but I'm of the belief that all phones are going to have "that one problem," and it's just a roll of the dice what pops up in any line. The V20 I swapped to has an issue of image retention, but at least it isn't permanent burn in like can happen on an AMOLED screen. The HTC One M8 I had was known for weak USB ports that would go bad and the body was easily bent.

So pick your poison.
    10-10-2018 10:49 AM
    Justification for the price difference isn't really needed, because people will pay it. That's the great thing about the market, value is derived by what people are willing to pay. There's a lot of people here who have already paid the extra $100.
    10-10-2018 10:50 AM
    While I agree with the premise that cell phones, in general, are going up in price, I wouldn't say that $100 is a rip off.

To put it into perspective, a 64GB iPhone XS Max costs $1,100. I don't care how good the technology is in the phone, no device that only has 64GB of storage should ever cost $1,100.
    10-10-2018 11:00 AM

Why would it get locked or deleted? If people are civil and such I see no reason for that to be done.
    teamnowak likes this.
    10-10-2018 11:03 AM
    Why would it get locked or deleted? If people are civil and such I see no reason for that to be done.
    Well if you read OPs first response you'll see why I was making an assumption. And his multiple threads of dislike. Just assumed that's the way this thread would go
    10-10-2018 11:30 AM
    The iPhone was one example. Also, the $50 per 64gb also applies to their higher end phones, not just the XR. Googles price for memory is more than EVERY other seller of smartphones. I don't know what kind of memory they use, but I'll bet it's not better memory than everyone else uses.
    This is listed under the specs - no brand name though - they may go with the best price/availability - ??

0 for 64gb of storage is robbery-capture.jpg
    10-10-2018 11:31 AM
    Well if you read OPs first response you'll see why I was making an assumption. And his multiple threads of dislike. Just assumed that's the way this thread would go
    Nope -- zero reason to close a thread even if we don't agree with it. That wouldn't make it a fun place at all :P.
    billchat, teamnowak and ffejjj like this.
    10-10-2018 11:52 AM
    This is listed under the specs - no brand name though - they may go with the best price/availability - ??

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.JPG 
Views:	92 
Size:	10.6 KB 
ID:	291969
    We're talking about storage not memory. Not sure that info is readily available either though.
    10-10-2018 12:08 PM
    The LG V series and Pixels are two very different devices. I don't know your financial situation but I make my choice based on the things I desire most. The V35 is nice but the V30 is a bigger bargain right now. I was not happy with the V30 camera. If I was shopping for the LG it would be the V40 but that's a bit more money. For my needs I decided to stay with Pixel.
    Thanks. I want to be on Fi so that limits my high end phone choices. It's basically a Pixel, V35 or G7.
    10-10-2018 12:08 PM

I don't think the Pixel 3 is going to sell that well, the majority of users aren't that concerned with updates (in fact some actually hate them because of the issues they can cause), and they're more concerned with price and other features. Google raised their prices too much too quickly...... and pixels have never been big sellers even before the 3. They've always been a niche phone. I was able to pick up an og pixel brand new for half price a couple months ago, and could still pick up an og XL brand new for half price from B&H photo video if I wanted to. And I'll likely be doing the same with the 2.

They just aren't selling as well as the competition yet, and I don't think this big price hike is going to help matters any.
    10-10-2018 03:44 PM
    I realized that 64GB is all I need as I'm connected to WiFi 19 hours a day.
    10-10-2018 03:59 PM
    I don't think the Pixel 3 is going to sell that well, the majority of users aren't that concerned with updates (in fact some actually hate them because of the issues they can cause), and they're more concerned with price and other features. Google raised their prices too much too quickly...... and pixels have never been big sellers even before the 3. They've always been a niche phone. I was able to pick up an og pixel brand new for half price a couple months ago, and could still pick up an og XL brand new for half price from B&H photo video if I wanted to. And I'll likely be doing the same with the 2.

They just aren't selling as well as the competition yet, and I don't think this big price hike is going to help matters any.
    Just my thoughts regarding your statements:

We don't know how well or how poorly the 3 is going to sell this point in time

I have yet to see any stats on what the majority users are concerned with in purchasing a phone be it fast updates or other features. I'm not saying there aren't any stats....I just haven't seen them.

I work in Manhattan and see most everyone with expensive phones so that would lead me to believe price is not that big an issue or at least not where I work or reside. At my daughter's dance school even the little ones have the latest iPhones. My view may jaded by my demographics, however I don't believe price is always an issue.

Google is far from alone in raising prices quickly over the last couple of years.

To say that Pixels have not been big sellers even before the 3 is puzzling me because we are talking about the first two years so I wouldn't expect large numbers but so far the numbers have gone up, not down.

They've always been a niche phone.is most likely a true statement, however I don't see how that is related to paying half price for an OG Pixel.
    I think the fact that you still have to pay half price for a two year old phone is pretty high and that's a good thing for resale value.

I don't expect then to sell as well as the competition yet, and I don't think the price hike is that significant especially if we look at the XL. Obviously there are people who are being vocal about the pricing. That's OK, not everyone should buy something if they don't see the value or can't afford it.

I hope they introduce a lower end quality phone as long as it's performance doesn't hurt the reputation of the line. I also wish they would release a higher end phone with all the bells and whistles.

I think we will see some good things starting with Pixel 4. In the meantime I'm going to enjoy my shiny new toy when it gets here.
    Law2138 and bkrickles like this.
    10-10-2018 04:44 PM
    I realized that 64GB is all I need as I'm connected to WiFi 19 hours a day.
    What did you order?
    10-10-2018 04:52 PM
66 123